Hot Deals

[Google Pay] Free 6 months of the Financial Times (YMMV)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 24th, 2019 4:28 pm
Jan 23, 2009
175 posts
67 upvotes
bylo wrote:
Mar 25th, 2019 4:12 pm
Use Google to your advantage, not only for a free subscription but also a free reminder (using Google Calendar) set a day or two before the trial ends so you can cancel before the auto-renew kicks in.

Simple. Easy. Free. All Google.
Oh I get it, and take advantage of these sorts of things all the time. I was remarking on the high cost-per-month for an online magazine. I find most digital content to be skewed way to high, basically equivalent to physical copies, and I think its a bad move.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
15682 posts
7964 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
digidon wrote:
Mar 26th, 2019 5:04 pm
I find most digital content to be skewed way to high, basically equivalent to physical copies, and I think its a bad move.
Also with the availability of digital content few people read, let alone subscribe to, only one or two papers as they did in times past. Instead we want to browse a large variety of media and read a few selective articles from each. Charging subscribers as if they relied on a single outlet for all their news makes no sense. No one is going to pay $nn/month for mm different sources paying $100s per year. The industry needs to adopt a model like Netflix where for one reasonable monthly fee, e.g. $10/month, we can access a large variety of media outlets.
veni, vidi, Visa
Jan 23, 2009
175 posts
67 upvotes
bylo wrote:
Mar 26th, 2019 5:30 pm
Also with the availability of digital content few people read, let alone subscribe to, only one or two papers as they did in times past. Instead we want to browse a large variety of media and read a few selective articles from each. Charging subscribers as if they relied on a single outlet for all their news makes no sense. No one is going to pay $nn/month for mm different sources paying $100s per year. The industry needs to adopt a model like Netflix where for one reasonable monthly fee, e.g. $10/month, we can access a large variety of media outlets.
Exactly my thoughts, and it ties in nicely with my rant on how dumb it is that everyone is making their own version of Netflix now. The reason it did so well was it was a huge variety, delivered perfectly and for one low price. Now the price is going up, and people are pulling content for their own service and the total bill will be more than cable used to be. So they all lose. WELL DONE.

If ebooks were 25-99 cents Id buy them all the time, if a digital magazine service was $5 a month for 1000's of magazines Id think about it and movies shouldnt be much more than a buck to rent or 5 bucks tops to own.

Volume is where you make money when there is no difference in cost between one unit and thousands, basic math man!
Nov 19, 2004
553 posts
20 upvotes
Montreal
Worked for me - I am in Quebec. I used the Paypal payment option.

Thanks!
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2012
1250 posts
364 upvotes
Hamilton, Ontario
Free sounds like the right price... Still not going to go for it. I'll wait for them to pay me.
Apr 12, 2013
343 posts
197 upvotes
BC
Two support requests without answer and now all articles are excluded. Fed up with not knowing so cancelled on Google and it confirmed subscription is live till 24 September.

Shocked the FT is treating potential customers so poorly.
Mar 10, 2019
5 posts
Quebecer here, proceeded to subscribe through Google Pay with PayPal, then immediately cancelled afterwards.

The subscription initially clearly mentioned that I was subscribed until September 25th, 2019, and afterwards my first payment would be billed on the same date for subsequent months.

The cancellation, although, indicated that the subscription will be terminated on September 25th, 2019.

I understood from that that the 6 months was already acquired as mine, and the cancellation of subscription was only going to take effect to cancel the next payment, which seems logical.

I also did get the multiple emails telling me sorry to see you go, but didn't really make much of it, nor, to be honest, realize it before rereading this thread and noticing it here.

Installed the app, logged in through my Google account, and didn't have any problem reading the articles during my breaks at work today, and it's still working just fine on the app.

I haven't tried the web version, but I just don't see myself reading FT on the web.
Oct 12, 2008
819 posts
1349 upvotes
Markham
Just signed up and cancelled right away. Got the "Financial Times subscriptions is read to use" e-mail, but nothing about my cancellation (and there shouldn't be one of those until Sept.).

I'm on my laptop and can access all FT articles through my browser. If you can't, make sure you're actually signed in to the Google account you used to get the trial. The subscription should be the unlimited (which is $11.25 per week, or roughly the cost to renew month), there should be no in-app access only limitation, nor is there only "headline" article restriction. These kinds of subscription don't even exist if you check FT's subscription options.

If you have any limitations, it's because you subscription isn't working properly, and you should be requesting support from Google Pay.
Apr 12, 2013
343 posts
197 upvotes
BC
UPDATE FROM FT: "There is a known issue with account subscribed using the Google Pay promotion since yesterday.
Our technical team is already looking into this."

Managed to get help via chat at last, and updated as above. Also gave me a reference number. You'd think they would have the courtesy to contact customers and let us know it's being looked at. Hey ho, light at the end of the tunnel.
Penalty Box
Aug 26, 2001
17000 posts
654 upvotes
Oak Ridges, ON
shatilas wrote:
Mar 26th, 2019 2:31 pm
Update: Seems like you can only access the premium contents through the app
Seems like a big limitation!
[OP]
Nov 21, 2017
165 posts
261 upvotes
Toronto
konfusion666 wrote:
Mar 27th, 2019 9:02 am
Seems like a big limitation!
Yeah, it was until now. The desktop problem has been solved now.
Sep 17, 2009
143 posts
17 upvotes
Everything seems to work now, both in the Android app and via a browser
Penalty Box
Aug 26, 2001
17000 posts
654 upvotes
Oak Ridges, ON
cager wrote:
Mar 27th, 2019 12:03 pm
Everything seems to work now, both in the Android app and via a browser
Yup. Timing is good too, if you're someone who's interested in the current Brexit brouhaha and want to get more detailed information than what is presented in the non-paywalled media.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2003
1841 posts
204 upvotes
This is working great now. I'm personally impressed with their content so far. It's been a while since I've been able to read full articles without a subscription. I don't think I'd pay $45 a month for it, but I can see why some people do.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
15682 posts
7964 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
killuminati wrote:
Mar 28th, 2019 2:21 pm
This is working great now. I'm personally impressed with their content so far. It's been a while since I've been able to read full articles without a subscription. I don't think I'd pay $45 a month for it, but I can see why some people do.
It's essentially the Wall Street Journal of the UK but without the Rupert Murdoch right-wing slant. Like the WSJ, most of the people who pay $45/month are senior business executives, bankers, lawyers, traders, etc. who can expense their employers or right-off the costs themselves.
veni, vidi, Visa