Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Google Play

The Lord Of The Rings Motion Picture Trilogy (3pk) Extended Edition $34.99

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 28th, 2020 9:40 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
1604 posts
977 upvotes
Its not a bad price but seriously is there anyone who does not own this yet? Its pretty old...

Also if you buy the physical set (which has lots of extras not on stream)
You OWN it forever (we have seen multiple streaming sites shut down in recent years; heck Google even pulled the plug on Play Music store so those who made purchases are out of luck)
Many of the physical sets come with codes to redeem online for free
psxp wrote: I've seen references that the 4K Disc version we have here comes with Digital Codes that can't be redeemed in Canada. Not sure how true this is?
Lots of movies say this; redeem it with your vpn and you are good to go (once a movie is added to your account it stays there, even movies that say "not available" when you try to buy them)
Last edited by kav2001c on Dec 17th, 2020 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Koodo $45 60GB 5G + Unlimited Long Distance Perk (28 Countries)
Public $120 180GB + Canada Wide (90 Day plan; less rewards = $20 per month)
Freedom $35 North America Wide + 20GB + 1GB Roaming
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
1604 posts
977 upvotes
Dvin82 wrote: Confirmed 4k and Dolby vision support
Google has very limited 4K support
Most people who buy 4K will only see HD

In general you can watch 4K if you have compatible Google TV or Chromecast Ultra
Otherwise you need a Smart TV that supports it (many new TV do out of the box but then stop updating the apps so no go)

https://support.google.com/googleplay/a ... 4994?hl=en

IndyBeak wrote: I don't think Google will let you download these. They will just be there under your Google account to stream online whenever you want. But unfortunately, no legit way to import this to plex.
Play App does allow downloading
Koodo $45 60GB 5G + Unlimited Long Distance Perk (28 Countries)
Public $120 180GB + Canada Wide (90 Day plan; less rewards = $20 per month)
Freedom $35 North America Wide + 20GB + 1GB Roaming
Sep 21, 2004
11413 posts
7185 upvotes
Calgary
Has it been 20 years already since Fellowship came out? Holy crap time really flew.
Jun 13, 2005
290 posts
149 upvotes
vancouver
kav2001c wrote: Google has very limited 4K support
Most people who buy 4K will only see HD

In general you can watch 4K if you have compatible Google TV or Chromecast Ultra
Otherwise you need a Smart TV that supports it (many new TV do out of the box but then stop updating the apps so no go)

https://support.google.com/googleplay/a ... 4994?hl=en

Play App does allow downloading
Assume anyone who streams through a Shield will get 4K quality?
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2008
1736 posts
405 upvotes
Is this streaming anywhere? Disney, prime, Netflix?
Dec 12, 2019
327 posts
420 upvotes
kav2001c wrote: Its not a bad price but seriously is there anyone who does not own this yet? Its pretty old...

Also if you buy the physical set (which has lots of extras not on stream)
You OWN it forever (we have seen multiple streaming sites shut down in recent years; heck Google even pulled the plug on Play Music store so those who made purchases are out of luck)
Many of the physical sets come with codes to redeem online for free

Lots of movies say this; redeem it with your vpn and you are good to go (once a movie is added to your account it stays there, even movies that say "not available" when you try to buy them)
Google play music purchases were transferable to YouTube music and customers were notified well in advance of it shutting down. Nobody was out of luck.
Mar 26, 2013
336 posts
280 upvotes
Twin Peaks
b166er1337 wrote: Has it been 20 years already since Fellowship came out? Holy crap time really flew.
Yes and since then they made three more movies and they are even in full 3D, In fact I am charging my glasses right now to enjoy some reviewing, GOGOGO!
Deal Guru
Jan 8, 2006
11294 posts
6292 upvotes
Ontario
chandans wrote: Is this streaming anywhere? Disney, prime, Netflix?
Nope
Deal Addict
May 4, 2005
2664 posts
220 upvotes
No Atmos but will pass but still a good deal otherwise
Deal Expert
Feb 19, 2008
16990 posts
9322 upvotes
London
Jimboski wrote: Is it wrong to have watched the non 4K trilogy recently only to find out the 4K + exclusive just came out and watch it again? Asking for a friend..
It's only wrong because nobody should watch LOTR morn than once in life
Deal Expert
Feb 19, 2008
16990 posts
9322 upvotes
London
If anyone is interested in The Hobbit as well, the 6 film Middle Earth Extended Edition collection is $69.99 on iTunes
Feb 24, 2016
382 posts
494 upvotes
Google play is garbage for 4K unless you use android devices. No 4K on roku, fire tv or Apple TV.
Unfortunately the digital codes for the 4K blu ray was for google play store.
Last edited by jeremiahkool on Dec 17th, 2020 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
May 7, 2007
2987 posts
2369 upvotes
Fredericton
psxp wrote: I've seen references that the 4K Disc version we have here comes with Digital Codes that can't be redeemed in Canada. Not sure how true this is?
Not true. I have the disc set and the codes redeemed fine.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2012
1304 posts
1545 upvotes
COQUITLAM
KangFu wrote: I have the HD versions of this on Google Play, I hope they get upgraded to 4k, not even an option to migrate from HD to 4k.
Same. Google had upgraded a bunch of videos to 4k a year or so ago, so hopefully they will do it again.

They're pretty horrible when it comes to videos since they're no upgrade to HD/4k option.

Or we wait until HD is fully phased out and hopefully everyone gets switched over to 4k.
Sep 30, 2009
103 posts
32 upvotes
Very interested in this but I had rented a google movie in 4k long ago and was not impressed with the quality at all.

Anyone who purchased this, can you confirm if the picture quality is good?
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
1614 posts
3654 upvotes
Google may upgrade these to 4k if you already own them since WB is one of the studios supposedly upgradeable but it's actually up to the studio which titles they will upgrade. In the past all my WB movies have been upgraded but not these titles yet.

Also if you collect Movies anywhere I would either buy a code for these or buy them from Vudu/itunes.
Vudu has these for $30usd and $20usd for the non-extended version right now.
They also have both the hobbit & LTR in 4k for $50
https://www.vudu.com/content/movies/det ... le-/906041
You can use PayPal and they will all transfer to you MA providers.
May 26, 2020
116 posts
392 upvotes
HuoShing wrote: Let us ot expect this to copare to physical bluray though, bitrate is profoundly lower. I grabbed extended bluray 1080 which has 444393 extra content discs for $30 a year or so ago, probably looks better unless paused during low action still camera moment.
The LOTR Extended Edition Blu-rays have a notorious green tint issue, so most people would agree that they don't look better.

Also, digital release bitrate limitations aside, the new 4K versions look incredible. Unlike most 4K releases, which are simply upscaled from a 2K digital intermediate, these were made by scanning the original 35mm film negatives to 4K digital, then remastering in HDR. Even ignoring the green tint issue, this new release looks appreciably better than the Blu-rays.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)