Computers & Electronics

Google Play Pass launches in Canada this week.

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 15th, 2020 12:32 am
[OP]
Apr 25, 2019
187 posts
230 upvotes

Google Play Pass launches in Canada this week.

I wasn't sure where to put this, so please let me know if I posted on the wrong discussion or category!

Google has expanded the Play Pass subscription to Canada this week. The subscription will be accessible by hitting the Play Store, hamburger menu on top left corner, and then you should see the Play Pass in the menu. Keep in mind this is being slowly rolled out to everyone in Canada. I haven't seen it on my Google Pixel 3a yet.
System requirements are any Android device running Android 4.4 KitKat or later.
You can also share the membership with up to 5 family members.
Price is $5.99/mo. OR $34.99/year. Personally, I'd signup for the yearly package. This could be a great addition to Apple Arcade for those who have multiple devices at home.
Article:
https://mobilesyrup.com/2020/07/14/goog ... ng-canada/
Play Pass webpage:
https://play.google.com/about/play-pass/
Last edited by LeifS39303 on Jul 14th, 2020 6:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lucky Mobile 3.5 GB $25
22 replies
Aug 30, 2015
484 posts
624 upvotes
BC
Thanks for the heads up. Anyone have any advice on an affordable but decently performing tablet for gaming?
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
2866 posts
133 upvotes
all apps are now focusing on in-app purchase anyways, I don't see why people need to pay a hefty $6 dollar a month. Not like we don't have enough monthly fee as it is...
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
19266 posts
6264 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
helphelp911 wrote: Is it worth to get it for shield TV?
I don't think it's worth it for anything and that goes for all these app subscription things...
Last edited by BinaryJay on Jul 14th, 2020 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2002
8171 posts
4533 upvotes
Toronto
setlist wrote: Thanks for the heads up. Anyone have any advice on an affordable but decently performing tablet for gaming?
Depends how affordable, cheapest is probably Fire HD 10, premium affordable might be a Tab S5e or used Tab S4.
Jan 23, 2019
95 posts
74 upvotes
Is there a way to sign-up to know when exactly it will be launched? Or do we just have to manually keep checking the play store?
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4113 posts
3371 upvotes
Toronto
Raead wrote: all apps are now focusing on in-app purchase anyways, I don't see why people need to pay a hefty $6 dollar a month. Not like we don't have enough monthly fee as it is...
I believe the point is that the games won't have in-app purchases and should have everything unlocked.
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
2866 posts
133 upvotes
jm1 wrote: I believe the point is that the games won't have in-app purchases and should have everything unlocked.
How is that even possible for most games? A lot of game need gems/loot box/gold/whatever to progress or progress faster. Would this pass allow me to get unlimited gems?

For example, let's use Hearthstone here, are we going to get all the cards? Or does this pass only give you games that don't really have iap? Because those games are usually bad
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2003
3740 posts
1597 upvotes
Raead wrote: How is that even possible for most games? A lot of game need gems/loot box/gold/whatever to progress or progress faster. Would this pass allow me to get unlimited gems?

For example, let's use Hearthstone here, are we going to get all the cards? Or does this pass only give you games that don't really have iap? Because those games are usually bad
There a lot more to games than loot boxes/gatcha games. Yes, those are the ones that make the most money and are popular because of their addictive nature, but believe it not, there's still some fantastic experiences that dont have in game purchases.

Florence is a big one that comes to mind.

I dont know much about google play pass, but apple's subscription had the intent to have "premium" games that dont have microtransactions... more like the one off experiences that existed before microtransactions. The model makes sense since anything above "free" is too expensive for a mobile game but $6 for a collection sounds appealing.

For $6/month, its probably fine to give it a try and see if its for you... i dont have the time personally but its a service that would appeal to some.
Last edited by halcyon on Jul 14th, 2020 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2007
2416 posts
1650 upvotes
Prince George
Raead wrote: How is that even possible for most games? A lot of game need gems/loot box/gold/whatever to progress or progress faster. Would this pass allow me to get unlimited gems?
Sad state of affairs when people are so conditioned to microtransactions that they can’t imagine a world without them. Face With Tears Of Joy
Sep 21, 2019
170 posts
108 upvotes
I loath on people who buys coins, gems and whatever the fck else in game. You people are morons. You buy 10000 vbucks for $10 or whatever, which can just as well be 10 trillion vbucks with the press of a button and then complain about the prices of PHYSICAL tangible Starbucks bread, coffee, that people had to spend effort and actual resources to make.