• Last Updated:
  • May 15th, 2019 7:47 am
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
15604 posts
4873 upvotes
max011 wrote:
May 12th, 2019 12:41 am

Which exact permissions look "crazy" to you compared to the list of features this app supports??

Edit: Serious question..!
read sensitive log data
approximate location (network-based)
read phone status and identity
read the contents of your USB storage - this is necessary but can also be abused

max011 wrote:
May 12th, 2019 12:43 am
Don't ever blindly trust anyone.

That said, this app is around for at least 3-4 years, so it should be known if something is wrong already...
You don't say
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/cr ... roup-baidu
All spirits are enslaved that serve things evil
May 24, 2007
437 posts
418 upvotes
Kelowna
Installed it, it asked for too many permissions and then glitched on the first two videos I watched. Also didn't allow me to cast anything. Thanks OP but uninstalled it and grabbed VLC. So much better and can even cast the audio from my videos to my Google home devices. Not many players can pull that off so well.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
2720 posts
2123 upvotes
Vancouver
Quentin5 wrote:
May 12th, 2019 12:55 am
read sensitive log data
approximate location (network-based)
read phone status and identity
read the contents of your USB storage - this is necessary but can also be abused

You don't say
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/cr ... roup-baidu
F.U.D. - you can say it for almost any given app. And why quote irrelevant articles [THIS app was never mentioned there] proving some false points??

If you don't like it, don't install it - it's simple as that.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity".
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
15604 posts
4873 upvotes
max011 wrote:
May 12th, 2019 3:12 am
F.U.D. - you can say it for almost any given app. And why quote irrelevant articles [THIS app was never mentioned there] proving some false points??

If you don't like it, don't install it - it's simple as that.
If you don't want to accept things then you can classify them as FUD till the cows (or the NSA) comes home.
And yes this is a widespread problem. Using that as an excuse means there is no incentive to deal with it since your excusing it.

As for not installing it thats exactly the correct preventive measure.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2015
3485 posts
3227 upvotes
Thanks OP, but uninstalled this app. Dont trust the home based developers
Please DON'T PM me for SPC codes, kindly ask for them in the Samsung thread's (HOT DEALS) section and I will respond with one.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
2720 posts
2123 upvotes
Vancouver
Quentin5 wrote:
May 12th, 2019 4:18 pm
If you don't want to accept things then you can classify them as FUD till the cows (or the NSA) comes home.
And yes this is a widespread problem. Using that as an excuse means there is no incentive to deal with it since your excusing it.

As for not installing it thats exactly the correct preventive measure.
I am not selling anything here, no need for me to argue with you or anyone else.

Just pointing out there is a free app for taking. Don't like something about it - don't install it - simple as that. [Guess you have 4 to 5 apps on your phone only.]
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
15604 posts
4873 upvotes
max011 wrote:
May 12th, 2019 7:36 pm
I am not selling anything here, no need for me to argue with you or anyone else.

Just pointing out there is a free app for taking. Don't like something about it - don't install it - simple as that. [Guess you have 4 to 5 apps on your phone only.]
Your the one killing the messenger here
Its weird that your the one who said
max011 wrote:
May 12th, 2019 12:43 am
Don't ever blindly trust anyone.
Yet your the one defending your blind trust.

If you want to agree to disagree thats fine with me.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
3757 posts
1037 upvotes
Last updated in 2016. Do i need to use my time machine to run a virtual machine so I'm not exposed to security threats?
Mar 17, 2009
316 posts
98 upvotes
I appreciate the advice not to get this app. In a sense, this app has been fleshed out. I can see the technique of charging for an app with the plan to offer for free to entice. What's in it for them? That's where community discussion comes in. Thanks for the perspective.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
2720 posts
2123 upvotes
Vancouver
calling all humans wrote:
May 13th, 2019 1:06 am
I appreciate the advice not to get this app. In a sense, this app has been fleshed out. I can see the technique of charging for an app with the plan to offer for free to entice. What's in it for them? That's where community discussion comes in. Thanks for the perspective.
Just FYI, you are probably not aware that huge number of apps is given for free daily on the Google play store.

Why, I have no idea, could only guess, but it does not automatically mean something is fishy with these apps as some people here obviously think.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 9, 2006
8662 posts
10033 upvotes
GT-EH
vivibaby wrote:
May 13th, 2019 12:04 am
Last updated in 2016. Do i need to use my time machine to run a virtual machine so I'm not exposed to security threats?
This along with some unnecessary permissions is what turned me off.
I'll stick with VLC
Decrapifying the X1 Extreme
I just like to collect things! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Behold, true glory. #PCMasterRace!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
2720 posts
2123 upvotes
Vancouver
GiOBoY wrote:
May 13th, 2019 3:29 pm
This along with some unnecessary permissions is what turned me off.
I'll stick with VLC
Could you say which particular permissions you find unnecessary compared to the list of features this app offers please?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 9, 2006
8662 posts
10033 upvotes
GT-EH
max011 wrote:
May 14th, 2019 1:45 pm
Could you say which particular permissions you find unnecessary compared to the list of features this app offers please?
a few... and it's been mentioned before.
Decrapifying the X1 Extreme
I just like to collect things! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Behold, true glory. #PCMasterRace!
Dec 13, 2009
274 posts
92 upvotes
Nothing free in this world (well rarely). Either they're the product or you're the product.