Google slashing Pixel 3a and 3a XL price by $150 for Black Friday

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2019 5:39 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 15, 2016
73 posts
55 upvotes
karldagenais wrote: “Only” lol go look at what Samsung and lg and others provide...

Apple gives updates for longer but doesn’t include all features in those updates. For example (I haven’t personally used an iPhone in years) I remember when Siri was introduced, some models got the new OS but not Siri.
Samsung gives you 2 years of feature updates, 3 years of monthly security updates, and then after that the phone goes into quarterly security updates for unspecified time. The S7 is getting quarterly updates, the S8 and newer are getting monthly updates, and the s9 and newer will be getting Android 10.

It's not great, Apple still does updates best, but it's not bad either. I can't comment on LG.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
32933 posts
6536 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
RiasatAbir wrote: 250$ CAD off on Pixel 4/XL from Nov 24.
I was going to jump on this deal if I could sell my Pixel 3 XL for 500$

But after reading all the reviews on the 4 XL, not sure if it is worth upgrading. May just wait for the Pixel 5 XL
Oct 6, 2016
240 posts
77 upvotes
Burnaby
Gee wrote: I was going to jump on this deal if I could sell my Pixel 3 XL for 500$

But after reading all the reviews on the 4 XL, not sure if it is worth upgrading. May just wait for the Pixel 5 XL
I'm looking for a Pixel 3 for 400$
Dec 19, 2018
127 posts
141 upvotes
Montreal
RiasatAbir wrote: 250$ CAD off on Pixel 4/XL from Nov 24.
Seen that.
That's a good discount, or probably what should have been the proper price for this device.
I think I'm gonna buy it. Do you guys think it's gonna go sold out very quickly on Nov 24?
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2009
1745 posts
586 upvotes
Toronto
AndreaL87013 wrote: Seen that.
That's a good discount, or probably what should have been the proper price for this device.
I think I'm gonna buy it. Do you guys think it's gonna go sold out very quickly on Nov 24?
I would assume there is higher chance Pixel 3a, 3aXL getting sold out than the Pixel 4.
Pixel 3a has been selling well and getting very good reviews.
Pixel 4 are getting mixed reviews.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
5837 posts
4522 upvotes
AndreaL87013 wrote: Seen that.
Pixel 4 lacks fingerprint scanner. So all you apps that need it are disabled until they rewrite for face recognition. But Google's implementation of face recognition is way worse than Apple to be trusted at this point.

I think dropping fingerprint sensor completely is a very stupid decision on Google's part.
Dec 19, 2018
127 posts
141 upvotes
Montreal
Xtrema wrote: Pixel 4 lacks fingerprint scanner. So all you apps that need it are disabled until they rewrite for face recognition. But Google's implementation of face recognition is way worse than Apple to be trusted at this point.

I think dropping fingerprint sensor completely is a very stupid decision on Google's part.
Not a big deal to me. I still have an old Xperia Z5 and BMO has never enabled the fingerprint sensor to log into the app, so no big loss for me. Also I don't use the app so often to make it a deal breaker. I just look for the best camera in the android world and a full day battery life, both of which pixel 4 xl should cover just fine.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2003
3265 posts
130 upvotes
The 6T is better in everything VS Pixel 3a except for the camera due to Google's great post=processing. A lot of people buying phones look at cameras as the #1 feature. Personally, I think the Pixel 3a is a better value. I'll save $100 and get a better camera, but if you don't mind spending extra and taking the small hit on camera performance, the 6T is a great option.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7554 posts
5034 upvotes
Canada
rilhouse wrote: The 6T is better in everything VS Pixel 3a except for the camera due to Google's great post=processing. A lot of people buying phones look at cameras as the #1 feature. Personally, I think the Pixel 3a is a better value. I'll save $100 and get a better camera, but if you don't mind spending extra and taking the small hit on camera performance, the 6T is a great option.
The difference in daytime isn't much between the 2. Plus, you can still get Gcam on Oneplus.
Other than that, Oneplus 6T a superior phone in every way. 256GB storage and 8GB RAM (vs 64GB storage and 4GB RAM in Pixel), much more modern design, dual cameras, 4k 60fps, SD845 (vs SD670), physical dual sim, in-display FP, better build quality (glass/aluminium frame), Gorilla glass vs dragontrail. For only $100 (actually $70 with student discount) more it's a no brainer.

I'm saying this as a Pixel 3a XL owner
[OP]
Oct 16, 2019
17 posts
56 upvotes
Not gonna lie, I simply can't stand the notch design on the 6T display. I'm gonna save $100 and opt for the 3a XL. I want that headphone jack, I use it in the gym. Coming from the OnePlus One, the difference between whether I get a SD 845 or 670 doesn't really matter; I'm coming from a 28nm SD801 quad-core design from 2014. A 10nm octa-core design is more than enough. I'll enjoy the better battery life too.
Walk forwards in the radiance of the past
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2001
4312 posts
406 upvotes
Calgary
Considering the Pixel 3XL, Freedom currently offers it at a total cost of $120 ($5/month for 24 months). Seems like a rather decent price, since I am happy with their service and don’t mind staying for another 2yrs. Pretty much in it for the camera photo quality. How much worse is the processor on the 3a XL compared to the 3XL, notable lag?
"i love my girl friend and my girl friend loves me ok so you cant love me"
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7554 posts
5034 upvotes
Canada
plucky duck wrote: Considering the Pixel 3XL, Freedom currently offers it at a total cost of $120 ($5/month for 24 months). Seems like a rather decent price, since I am happy with their service and don’t mind staying for another 2yrs. Pretty much in it for the camera photo quality. How much worse is the processor on the 3a XL compared to the 3XL, notable lag?
No lag in day to day usage. Most of the performance hit is in gaming
Dec 19, 2018
127 posts
141 upvotes
Montreal
plucky duck wrote: Considering the Pixel 3XL, Freedom currently offers it at a total cost of $120 ($5/month for 24 months). Seems like a rather decent price, since I am happy with their service and don’t mind staying for another 2yrs. Pretty much in it for the camera photo quality. How much worse is the processor on the 3a XL compared to the 3XL, notable lag?
RFDQ1016 wrote: No lag in day to day usage. Most of the performance hit is in gaming
It also depends on how long you are planning to keep your phone. After 2 or more years some lags could appear on the 3a. Top of the class CPUs instead should maintain good performance for 3-4 years, especially with the stock pixel software.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2003
3265 posts
130 upvotes
RFDQ1016 wrote: The difference in daytime isn't much between the 2. Plus, you can still get Gcam on Oneplus.
Other than that, Oneplus 6T a superior phone in every way. 256GB storage and 8GB RAM (vs 64GB storage and 4GB RAM in Pixel), much more modern design, dual cameras, 4k 60fps, SD845 (vs SD670), physical dual sim, in-display FP, better build quality (glass/aluminium frame), Gorilla glass vs dragontrail. For only $100 (actually $70 with student discount) more it's a no brainer.

I'm saying this as a Pixel 3a XL owner
Bottom line the pixel has a better camera. But yes, the 6T is better in almost every other way. Also $100 extra isn't a no brainer to me, that is a significant amount to add to the price IMO.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2009
1745 posts
586 upvotes
Toronto
rilhouse wrote: Bottom line the pixel has a better camera. But yes, the 6T is better in almost every other way. Also $100 extra isn't a no brainer to me, that is a significant amount to add to the price IMO.
Google also has stock android and great support - 3 years minimum and timely security patches.
I did hear that One plus skin is pretty good and they also have good support, so it might not be as big of an issue compared to Samsung/LG etc.