Google Stadia Founders Edition ($169)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 9th, 2019 11:35 am
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
2817 posts
3144 upvotes
Toronto
what I want to know is what'll the price will be like for a single game purchase for the stadia
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
LoANeal wrote: This is a big yawn for me. I can buy a PS4/Xbone for little more and have way more utility.
ya and play your games with low quality graphics at sub 30fps. The selling point here is getting cutting edge performance with little to no upfront hardware cost. Even the free tier at 1080p/60fps would be a superior experience compared to playing on consoles assuming it works properly
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2015
1068 posts
782 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
zaporozhets wrote: I doubt you will get to play all those triple A games for free. Game publishers are going to want their cut no matter what. Ubisoft is definitely not going to give their new titles away for free because it would diminish value that they bring through other channels.
what? you still have to pay for the game. Only the service (stadia base) will be free
Apr 24, 2012
640 posts
1021 upvotes
Vancouver
jasonchewy wrote: what I want to know is what'll the price will be like for a single game purchase for the stadia
All games are included for free with the Pro subscription. You'd probably have to pay regular game price with Base subscription.
Edit: No, not all games are free with Pro. Just some.
Last edited by zaporozhets on Jun 6th, 2019 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
9113 posts
2403 upvotes
ReeGee wrote: ya and play your games with low quality graphics at sub 30fps. The selling point here is getting cutting edge performance with little to no upfront hardware cost. Even the free tier at 1080p/60fps would be a superior experience compared to playing on consoles assuming it works properly
The portability aspect is also fairly intriguing. As long as you have internet connection, you can just take the Chromecast Pro and controller with you very easily, even fit into your pocket kinda thing. No need to lug around a heavy PS4/XB1 console plus the associated controllers and HDMI/power cables and power brick.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
2817 posts
3144 upvotes
Toronto
zaporozhets wrote: All games are included for free with the Pro subscription. You'd probably have to pay regular game price with Base subscription.
I think the way I read it is, Pro sub you get "some" games for free, like how PS Plus is. You'd still need to buy the newest game.
No way they'll give you access to a game at launch date.

I just wonder if the price of buying the game, will be any cheaper than buying the regular console version.
Nov 18, 2007
592 posts
644 upvotes
Markham
puttar wrote: Looks like the pro tier also comes with free games. The blog mentions destiny 2 with all expansions as the first free game.
Are you sure about this? They only mention destiny 2 as being free. I understand it as the list of games are just the ones that are supported At this point and not free with subscription.
Deal Addict
May 24, 2007
1381 posts
1390 upvotes
zaporozhets wrote: All games are included for free with the Pro subscription. You'd probably have to pay regular game price with Base subscription.
I'm pretty sure that's not at all the case, though I've seen it reported that way, and that's how I assumed it, watching the stream.

As I understand it, Pro is essentially a premium bandwidth subscription to be able to play games at 4K + HDR + 5.1 sound—plus a few other perks, including access to some games (e.g. Destiny 2).

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/06/ ... er-launch/

https://www.polygon.com/2019/6/6/186551 ... ro-vs-base

"Google announced two tiers of Stadia streaming. The paid service is akin to PlayStation Plus or Xbox Live Gold rather than PlayStation Now or Netflix, in that it gets subscribers access to higher quality streams [and] a cadence of free games (as well as discounts on bigger, premium titles). You’re still buying games from Google to stream them through Stadia; it’s the stream quality and other perks that come with the paid subscription."
Last edited by AnonymousBroccoli on Jun 6th, 2019 1:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jun 18, 2015
345 posts
266 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
I still don't understand how this could possibly get rid of any/all input lag to make it even close to a true local Console/PC experience......for the average game, might not be a big deal. But for multiplayer FPS and Fighting games, it's awful.

Not trying to compare Sony and Google...but PSNow is awful to play on, even with a 100mbps symmetrical connection.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2015
5779 posts
6721 upvotes
Alberta
I watched live and ordered founders edition plus an extra black controller the moment it was available. I mostly only game on my 2080ti now, but I have/had nearly all day 1 game consoles since the 90s...
Apr 24, 2012
640 posts
1021 upvotes
Vancouver
sickcityxiii wrote: I still don't understand how this could possibly get rid of any/all input lag to make it even close to a true local Console/PC experience......for the average game, might not be a big deal. But for multiplayer FPS and Fighting games, it's awful.

Not trying to compare Sony and Google...but PSNow is awful to play on, even with a 100mbps symmetrical connection.
This article talks about it:
https://www.pcgamesn.com/stadia/stadia-input-lag

Someone who played estimates lag at 166ms. Yes, this will definitely get you killed more often in competitive games.
Sep 8, 2007
562 posts
644 upvotes
Given Google's history of killing products, I'd be hesitant to pay for this. If they shut down their service, all your "purchased" games are lost forever.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
1543 posts
301 upvotes
This project is dead in the water at the moment.

What kills this is games will still need to be purchased with Stadia. You will still need to pay 60 dollars(usd) to buy a game.

Your paying 12 dollars a month to essentially rent a console. Google is giving away Destiny 2 for the initial launch but that's it. Read other sources and you will still have to buy games like any other console at similar prices. This is like netflix but you have to buy almost every movie you want watch, thus destroying the very reason why you use netflix.

Considering the hype and desire to buy consoles and PC hardware(people like spending money on their hobby), I don't think people are interested in renting a console without the physical hardware being given to them. If this bundle came with the hardware to have in peoples homes(with the specs Google gave for stadia), this would have a chance. But without it and the competition from the PC and console market, this project just doesn't have much legs.
Feel the wraith of the Old English Sheepdog.
May 17, 2013
368 posts
336 upvotes
GWN
puttar wrote: Are you sure about this? They only mention destiny 2 as being free. I understand it as the list of games are just the ones that are supported At this point and not free with subscription.
Go here:
https://store.google.com/product/stadia ... rs_edition

read: Stadia Pro: your Founder’s Edition when you sign up for a recurring subscription...Buy games whenever you want: Yes ......Additional free games released regularly: Yes, starting with Destiny 2: The Collection

I see nothing stating ALL games are free. As for Destiny 2 it is going FTP on PC as well:
https://www.engadget.com/2019/06/06/bun ... ay-update/
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2018
1393 posts
1496 upvotes
So $170 for all that and you stream everything while not owning a single single game that can be pulled at any time for any reason for you to never play again @ $12 a month?

Nope.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
9113 posts
2403 upvotes
MikeB84225 wrote: So $170 for all that and you stream everything while not owning a single single game that can be pulled at any time for any reason for you to never play again @ $12 a month?

Nope.
Not quite, the service has a free basic option. If you don't pay a subscription, you're just limited to 1080p/60fps streaming. The Pro sub will get you 4K/60fps streaming plus free games every once in awhile.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Nov 18, 2007
592 posts
644 upvotes
Markham
Yeah i meant to reply to another post , but instead had a brain fart and replied to my own post.

Thanks for the info
Deal Fanatic
Dec 16, 2015
5405 posts
5751 upvotes
Distance: 50 Metres
zaporozhets wrote: The controller is only required if you are going to be playing on TV.
https://www.businessinsider.com/google- ... ntroller-1

For TVs
For TVs
Google
Any TV, whether it's yours at home, at a friend's place, or the TV in a hotel room.
A $70 Google Chromecast Ultra (required).
Google's new Stadia controller (required).

For computers, including laptops and desktops
For computers, including laptops and desktops
Google
Almost any laptop or desktop.
Google's Chrome web browser (required).
Google's Stadia controller (optional), a keyboard and mouse (optional) , or your existing controller (optional, as long as it's connected to your computer via USB).

On a tablet or smartphone
On a tablet or smartphone
Google
Almost any tablet or smartphone.
Google's Stadia controller (optional, touch controls will be available).
Playing on a hotel room? Dont kid me...hotels limit their bandwidth to 1mbpsFace With Tears Of Joy
To the moon
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2018
1393 posts
1496 upvotes
Winkle wrote: Not quite, the service has a free basic option. If you don't pay a subscription, you're just limited to 1080p/60fps streaming. The Pro sub will get you 4K/60fps streaming plus free games every once in awhile.
Oh crap, I missed that, free is good but I will probably not play.

My internet is 350/350 and I still get lag in most every online game, I see this being worse.....I would consider trying but not buying a controller to test.
Last edited by MikeB84225 on Jun 6th, 2019 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2012
4440 posts
7634 upvotes
Toronto
No, all games are not included with pro, its like playstation plus where they give you something for free every month. You have to buy and play the rest.