Is Google Stadia worth getting?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 30th, 2020 11:28 pm
[OP]
Oct 1, 2019
71 posts
21 upvotes

Is Google Stadia worth getting?

I remember they did their launch blitz in the fall and failed, totally forgot about them but was looking at the different consoles in the market and looked up Google Stadia again.

Any RFDers happy with theirs? To my knowledge it helps to have a Chromecast Ultra and to get the Stadia controller so that will set you back $90 and $89 respectively.
12 replies
Deal Addict
May 24, 2007
1117 posts
686 upvotes
London, ON
There seems to be a 1-month trial of Stadia Pro, so you could try it yourself. Pro includes a number of games, which I'm pretty sure you can play as much as you want while your Pro subscription is active.

I'm having trouble clicking links on the actual signup page, so maybe check this to see what Pro games are available:

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/07/2 ... Stadia_Pro

Here's a general Stadia FAQ as well:
https://support.google.com/stadia/answer/9338946?hl=en
Sep 12, 2012
818 posts
679 upvotes
Toronto
Library is too small imo
[OP]
Oct 1, 2019
71 posts
21 upvotes
Got the device mostly because there was a limited time sale of controller + chromecast ultra 4k for $129. Individually these are $99 and $90 so figured if I didn't like I could sell the controller.

Game library is def very limited. I'd say has a lot of potential. I wouldn't recommend to buy unless another deal came out or the game library starts to expand.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2012
1702 posts
2549 upvotes
With Game Pass Ultimate and XCloud, I don't see a reason for Stadia. Game Pass is far superior.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
2710 posts
665 upvotes
Belle River
I tried it as a portable solution, bring it to people's houses when we hang out kinda thing. Huge pain, I didn't realize that the Chromecast and the controllers can't store more than one wireless network, nor do they have any kinda quick change functionality to switch to a diff network. I had to completely reset the Chromecast and go through the controller setup for each controller again.
May 6, 2005
885 posts
25 upvotes
I am considering this strictly for Baldurs Gate 3.
Aug 26, 2020
110 posts
94 upvotes
No.

The tech is good but not quite there yet. Library is practically non-existant. You have to pay for games on top of the monthly fee.
Jul 31, 2007
327 posts
211 upvotes
I tried Stadia on a 3 months Chromebook trial.

Overall, the tech is the best out of all the major services. Really enjoyed it. I used it to finish Gylt which was a fun little game.

But I don't see any reason to pay for it. Game pass is way better despite Xcloud not working as well as Stadia.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
2397 posts
2517 upvotes
GTA
johncraven wrote: I tried Stadia on a 3 months Chromebook trial.

Overall, the tech is the best out of all the major services. Really enjoyed it. I used it to finish Gylt which was a fun little game.

But I don't see any reason to pay for it. Game pass is way better despite Xcloud not working as well as Stadia.
GeForce Now has Chromebook support, have you thought of trying it?
c'mon get happy!
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2006
2964 posts
1523 upvotes
Toronto
Game pass >>>> Stadia.

Heck, even the new chromecast doesn't support stadia (yet) which is wild to me.
Jul 31, 2007
327 posts
211 upvotes
BernardRyder wrote:
GeForce Now has Chromebook support, have you thought of trying it?
I use gamestream to stream my PC to my shield. That works well, except sometimes you might get kicked to the desktop and you have to go back to the PC to fix it.

For the cloud service, I only tried a little bit of the free service where you have to queue up and your play session is limited to like 50 minutes.