• Last Updated:
  • Oct 28th, 2019 5:46 pm
[OP]
Aug 22, 2019
124 posts
244 upvotes
North Dakota
Panda or Orange.

I know Orange is OOS. But its limited so its the shit.
Mar 23, 2004
42090 posts
8157 upvotes
Markham
geotr wrote: You're right price will drop by Christmas because lack of demand. I'm waiting until rogers drops their p4xl to 0$ upfront tab 40. I'm sure it will happen because this phone is not exciting enough to pay money upfront
That will happen because of Robellus putting their plans on sale, not because of Google dropping it. Seeing that some of the XL while/orange models are already going OOS, I doubt Google will be letting the sale floodgates open this year.
MaaniOG wrote: Panda or Orange.

I know Orange is OOS. But its limited so its the shit.
Orange.
[OP]
Aug 22, 2019
124 posts
244 upvotes
North Dakota
angel_wing0 wrote: That will happen because of Robellus putting their plans on sale, not because of Google dropping it. Seeing that some of the XL while/orange models are already going OOS, I doubt Google will be letting the sale floodgates open this year.

Orange.
I am going to be putting the sorta grey fabric case on either, Orange is OOS still end of Nov. Should I wait or go Panda ?
Jul 4, 2017
190 posts
244 upvotes
phoreoneone wrote: No I don’t mean buying a phone, I mean buying a Pixel from Google on launch. Also don’t get me started on the phone itself... a disgrace at the MSRP
let's talk about that MSRP!

I'm a google fanboy and I'm upset by the terrible pricing. For $800 USD launch price, it is:
- $100 more than the iphone 11
- lacks ultra wide angle lens
- removed focal length settings on selfie camera compared to last gen
- radar gestures that work only 10% of the time
- 400-450 nits display (remember the complaints about the essential phone being dim? this is 20% dimmer)
- 64gb starting, with 128gb an extra $100 USD (compared to even apple who only charged $50 for the bump up)
- last generation cpu
- no included headphone adapters
- no 4k 60fps video
- no wifi 6
- smaller battery
- only 6gb of ram

A 90hz display, face unlock, and minor improvements to the camera, don't justify paying DOUBLE what the outgoing pixel 3 is selling for. Who is this phone for?

Not old people - screen is too dim
Not business folks or people who work - battery is too small
Not techies or gamers - no wifi 6, last gen cpu, 6gb of ram
Not young people - no 4k60, and no ultrawide in order to shoot user-generated content such as tik tok videos

That leaves only 1 group: instagram picture people, and if this market isn't already entrenched in apple, they are moving to other platforms like tik tok already
[OP]
Aug 22, 2019
124 posts
244 upvotes
North Dakota
michaelthebear wrote: let's talk about that MSRP!

I'm a google fanboy and I'm upset by the terrible pricing. For $800 USD launch price, it is:
- 400-450 nits display (remember the complaints about the essential phone being dim? this is 20% dimmer)
- 64gb starting, with 128gb an extra $100 USD (compared to even apple who only charged $50 for the bump up)
- last generation cpu
- no 4k 60fps video
- no wifi 6
- smaller battery
- only 6gb of ram

A 90hz display, face unlock, and minor improvements to the camera, don't justify paying DOUBLE what the outgoing pixel 3 is selling for. Who is this phone for?

Not young people - no 4k60, and no ultrawide in order to shoot user-generated content such as tik tok videos

That leaves only 1 group: instagram picture people, and if this market isn't already entrenched in apple, they are moving to other platforms like tik tok already
Please tell me when any Nexus or Pixel devices had all top of the line specs ? Google sells software and that's why people buy the new pixel. I literally sold my S10+ for 2 months ago just to prep for a new pixel.

I loved Ultrawide on the S10+ but what do majority of the people do ? They zoom in. My auntie has a S10, and she wasn't even aware of the ultra wide,...lol
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2006
1944 posts
664 upvotes
Scarborough
MaaniOG wrote: Please tell me when any Nexus or Pixel devices had all top of the line specs ? Google sells software and that's why people buy the new pixel. I literally sold my S10+ for 2 months ago just to prep for a new pixel.

I loved Ultrawide on the S10+ but what do majority of the people do ? They zoom in. My auntie has a S10, and she wasn't even aware of the ultra wide,...lol
I feel you on this one.

I recently switched from Pixel 1 to the S10 512GB and honestly everything just worked better on the Pixel even though it's slower than the S10 and doesn't have as nice of a screen. Everything just functions and communicates better which i'd assume would apply for Pixel 4 as well.

I'm currently debating selling my S10 to get the new Pixel as well.
Jul 4, 2017
190 posts
244 upvotes
MaaniOG wrote: Please tell me when any Nexus or Pixel devices had all top of the line specs ? Google sells software and that's why people buy the new pixel. I literally sold my S10+ for 2 months ago just to prep for a new pixel.
You are right. They never had. But they also never charged people MORE than top-of-the-line phones.

No one is saying the pixel 4 is a bad phone. If it was $100 less, or 256gb standard for $1k canadian, I would jump at the pre-order.
Dec 16, 2010
752 posts
637 upvotes
Canada
jono454 wrote: I feel you on this one.

I recently switched from Pixel 1 to the S10 512GB and honestly everything just worked better on the Pixel even though it's slower than the S10 and doesn't have as nice of a screen. Everything just functions and communicates better which i'd assume would apply for Pixel 4 as well.

As much as my wife and I loved our Pixel 3 XLs, they both suffered damage and we both are very anal at taking care of our phones. The software can only go so far on a phone. The hardware and build quality of the pixel phone has gone way down hill. When trying to get our phones fixed, part supplies were way back ordered.

We switched to the S10 and have been very impressed by the better build quality and the hardware is amazing on these phones. I have the Note 10 plus now and am very pleased. The hardware works and there are fantastic features.

I wish Google would get their act together on this because I love vanilla android, but am not wasting my money on a dated phone again.

But get whatever makes you happy imo!

Cheers
[OP]
Aug 22, 2019
124 posts
244 upvotes
North Dakota
PannTher wrote: As much as my wife and I loved our Pixel 3 XLs, they both suffered damage and we both are very anal at taking care of our phones. The software can only go so far on a phone. The hardware and build quality of the pixel phone has gone way down hill. When trying to get our phones fixed, part supplies were way back ordered.

We switched to the S10 and have been very impressed by the better build quality and the hardware is amazing on these phones. I have the Note 10 plus now and am very pleased. The hardware works and there are fantastic features.

I wish Google would get their act together on this because I love vanilla android, but am not wasting my money on a dated phone again.

But get whatever makes you happy imo!

Cheers
Samsung is built great, I agree. But I hope you dont have to go thru Samsung 's RMA process. Google's RMA is like Apple, so much better. Especially if you buy from Google Store itself, they ship you a new/refurb device and then ask you to send your old one so that you arent without a phone.
[OP]
Aug 22, 2019
124 posts
244 upvotes
North Dakota
jono454 wrote: I feel you on this one.

Sold my S10+ for $850 2 months ago. Bought a used iPhone X because I was debating on whether to go iPhone 11 and because apple had such a great trade in value on the iPhone X. Sold it yesterday for same price.
I sometimes feel that I might be biased towards Pixels but they just work so much better. iPhones have absolutely horrible video watching experience.
Dec 16, 2010
752 posts
637 upvotes
Canada
MaaniOG wrote: Samsung is built great, I agree. But I hope you dont have to go thru Samsung 's RMA process. Google's RMA is like Apple, so much better. Especially if you buy from Google Store itself, they ship you a new/refurb device and then ask you to send your old one so that you arent without a phone.
That wasn't the case for us. My wife's screen cracked and my back cracked. Both were with a case and screen protector and no major drop. I know it sounds fishy, but really didn't drop them. Google said repair time.would be several months as they didnt have the back or screens in stock. Only authorized repair shop 100km away said the same thing.

Ridiculous...
Mar 23, 2004
42090 posts
8157 upvotes
Markham
MaaniOG wrote: I am going to be putting the sorta grey fabric case on either, Orange is OOS still end of Nov. Should I wait or go Panda ?
icic, for me personally i would get Orange still. But if the colour thing is not a big factor for you, then you should get Panda.
Dec 17, 2015
113 posts
226 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Okay so I spoke with Google, the new pixel buds come out in spring but the promo credit expires on Jan 30, 2020. Soooo you can't use the promo credit on the new pixel buds. That said, you can use it on literally anything else including another pixel phone.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2001
6545 posts
4550 upvotes
MaaniOG wrote: Samsung is built great, I agree. But I hope you dont have to go thru Samsung 's RMA process. Google's RMA is like Apple, so much better. Especially if you buy from Google Store itself, they ship you a new/refurb device and then ask you to send your old one so that you arent without a phone.
Actually, I had to replace my Pixel 2 XL last month and I had to send it my phone first. Turn-around-time was like 3 days though.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2004
2773 posts
811 upvotes
Montreal
michaelthebear wrote: let's talk about that MSRP!

- last generation cpu
- no 4k 60fps video
- no wifi 6
- smaller battery
- only 6gb of ram

+1
| Intel I7 9700K | Asus Z390-E Gaming | Kingston HX426C13PB3k2/32 @ 2666mhz | Asus Strix RTX 2080 Super | 970 Evo Plus 500gb NVMe | Seasonic 750PX | Define R6 USB-C | H115I Pro | Klipsch R-41PM | Dell U3818DW | Logitech Craft | Logitech MX Master 3S |