Computers & Electronics

Google Voice starts ending XMPP support in June '18 (Google Voice Gateway, Asterisk, Obihai users possibly affected)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 23rd, 2019 10:28 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3286 upvotes

Google Voice starts ending XMPP support in June '18 (Google Voice Gateway, Asterisk, Obihai users possibly affected)

Visit http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13824.0 and https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php ... 2#msg88872.
OBi2xx ATAs that are visible to Obitalk (with Obitalk Service and Obitalk Provisioning are enabled in the ATA) and added to Obitalk.com accounts are having 3.2.2 (Build: 5898EX) firmware pushed to them, regardless of warranty or support status, which supports the new Google Voice platform. The only official way, at the time of this post, to receive the firmware update is to enable Obitalk Service and Obitalk Provisioning.

Edit: Someone has posted the OBi2xx manual firmware download link for firmware version 3.2.2 (Build: 5921EX):
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php? ... 2#msg95322.
That is, at the time of this post, the latest firmware version for OBi2XXX ATAs and also supports Google Voice.

The migration is starting: https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php ... 4#msg90754.

Note that by updating your device to the official OBi2xx firmware version 3.2.2 (Build: 5898EX)

1. in the event you have problems with 3.2.2 (Build: 5898EX), you can't downgrade to a lower firmware version below 3.2.2. (Build: 5859EX),

and

2. you can't apply the hacked firmware version of 3.2.2. (Build: 5859EX) that allows you to provision Google Voice without using Obitalk.com.
Edit: there’s now a newer version of the hacked firmware, and it may be possible to downgrade so that you can apply it. Follow the appropriate link to ask questions.

It appears as though XMPP death is slated for June 18, 2018:
https://support.google.com/voice/forum/ ... o98/?hl=en.

The end of XMPP support is an issue for Obihai 1xx ATA users: https://www.obitalk.com/info/faq/About- ... nouncement.
This may be of interest (I have nothing to do with it; please ask questions over there): http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r320524 ... SIP-Future.
Same for this: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=14632.0.
OBi1xx should follow this thread: https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31741 ... Discussion.

Bill Simon's Google Voice Gateway customers appear to be out of luck:
https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32019919-.

Asterisk users should visit https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32016 ... discussion

Also visit http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r319385 ... ~start=330 for related discussion.

OBi2xx users should follow these threads: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31961509- and http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31961804- (use hacked firmware at your own risk).

If you're not using hacked firmware or can't find the firmware file to manually update your device yourself, then this situation requires Obihai device owners, including OBi2xx ATA users, to enable Obitalk Service and Obitalk Provisioning in their devices in order to ensure new firmware gets pushed to their devices, which, in turn, will ensure Google Voice works after June 18, 2018. For those that disabled those settings, you will have to visit https://forums.redflagdeals.com/newegg- ... #p28508704 and enable those settings (do the reverse of steps 1 to 3 in that post).

Be sure to backup your current ATA settings first before enabling Obitalk Provisioning because you then run the risk of having settings from your Obitalk.com account being transferred to your ATA and replacing your existing settings in your ATA.

1. Dial ***1. Enter the IP address you hear into a web browser, and login to your ATA.
2. Navigate to System Management-->Device Update-->Backup Configuration
3. Check running status, inl. default value, and use OBi Version boxes.
4. Click the Backup button. Save the file
Note that passwords will not be saved in the file.
And that's how you backup your ATA settings.

Don't do the following if you're happy with the current settings you have in your Obitalk.com account for your ATA or, otherwise, have the current settings you use in your ATA already duplicated in your Obitalk.com account.

To import device/ATA settings into Obitalk, login at Obitalk.com.
That grey cog wheel with the "E" is for the expert configuration menu.
It shows when logging in at http://www.obitalk.com, selecting "Edit Profile" on the left, then scrolling down
under "Advanced Options" and finally selecting "Enable OBi Expert Entry from Dashboard."

A. Click the E in the pic.
B. On the left, select "Return to OBi Expert Configuration Menu"

C. Navigate to Manage Expert Configuration. Click the browse button, and select the file you saved in the step 4.
D. Select "Import Config to OBi Expert"

You will then need to go into the OBi Expert settings (E cog wheel) menu at Obitalk.com, and go through all your of device settings pages to check that your settings are what you want them to be. You may be required to re-enter and submit all your SIP and GV passwords.
Every time you see a red explanation mark, uncheck both the "Device Default" and "Obitalk Settings" boxes to see the value you imported from the ATA. If you don't know what you're doing with GV settings, leave them at defaults (only change digitmap, for example . . . don't start fiddling with proxyserver names).
You will then need to save changes on every single page where you've had to uncheck the "device default" and "obitalk settings" boxes—or where you’ve made any changes.

Also, after enabling Obitalk Service and Obitalk Provisioning, login at Obitalk.com, navigate to System Management--> Auto Provisioning-->Auto Firmware Update
In the FirmwareURL field blank out (delete) whatever is there. Also double check that the FirmwareURL field is also blank in the ATA (via LAN IP).
Additionally, if firmware doesn't update, try setting Auto Firmware Update to "System Start" at Obitalk.com. Hopefully, the ATA will then reboot and update firmware.
Last edited by Guest1284983 on Oct 26th, 2018 11:26 pm, edited 58 times in total.
Please do not PM me for tech support. I help out on the forums when I can. Thank you.
OBi200/202 Freephonline PDF guide (version 1.60) can be found here. OBi200 info can be found here. For OBi202 info, click here.
95 replies
Jan 22, 2016
60 posts
41 upvotes
I'm hoping that there are no extra (negative) surprises for Canadians that have an actual Google Voice incoming number. Guess we'll see.
Dec 26, 2010
371 posts
82 upvotes
SW Ontario
@Webslinger I was very happy with my setup and vaguely remember what I did or why Face Screaming In Fear
I know it is working fine now but dont remember the steps / setup. I have 4 providers: freephoneline, freevoipdeal for LD, localphone for LD, Google Voice
I know it works fine now. I dont remember how things were left with regards to obitalk, obiexpert and obi hardware interface.

I have the following settings on obi hardware web console - not sure how I ended on below by the way:
a. Autofirmware update = disabled (I assume I need to switch this one per instructions? Should I do it now?)
b. ITSP provisioning = disabled (I assume I need to to switch but not clear whether it has any implications based on the providers I use? or just change it to be safe?)
c. Obitalk provisioning = 86400 (This is once a day - I assume this is ok)
d. Obtalk service setting = enable (This is already set per your instructions)

Thanks!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3286 upvotes
garce wrote:
Apr 29th, 2018 8:48 pm
@Webslinger I was very happy with my setup and vaguely remember what I did or why
The new Obihai firmware version supporting non-XMPP GV is now officially released. While there may be no pressing need to do anything until Google shuts down its XMPP servers in June,
it probably makes sense to update firmware before that happens (unless official firmware manages to get hacked again).

Enabling Obitalk service and provisioning means your settings from obitalk.com may be sent to your ATA. Better make sure that’s what you want (especially if your current ATA’s settings are not duplicated in your obitalk.com account). If not, disable Obitalk service and Obitalk Provisioning quickly before you have to reconfigure everything.
Last edited by Guest1284983 on Apr 29th, 2018 9:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Please do not PM me for tech support. I help out on the forums when I can. Thank you.
OBi200/202 Freephonline PDF guide (version 1.60) can be found here. OBi200 info can be found here. For OBi202 info, click here.
Dec 26, 2010
371 posts
82 upvotes
SW Ontario
Webslinger wrote:
Apr 29th, 2018 9:08 pm
The new firmware version supporting non-XMPP GV isn’t even out yet. There’s no need to do anything until Google shuts down its XMPP servers in June.

Enabling obitalk service and provisioning means your settings from obitalk.com may be sent to your ATA. Better make sure that’s what you want (especially if your current ATA’s settings are not duplicated in your obitalk.com account). If not, disable Obitalk service and Obitalk Provisioning quickly before you have to reconfigure everything.
The settings I showed earlier (obitalk settings and provisioning) were the ones I have had for several months.
In 2015 I set everything up and lock down obi with your instructions.
Some months ago I decided to change google voice account and all broke :(. So I had to restart with obitalk to re-add google. I must have done backup and restore all my settings I guess. I probably neglected to disable again obi control afterwards.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3286 upvotes
garce wrote:
Apr 29th, 2018 9:56 pm
The settings I showed earlier (obitalk settings and provisioning) were the ones I have had for several months.
In 2015 I set everything up and lock down obi with your instructions.
Some months ago I decided to change google voice account and all broke :(. So I had to restart with obitalk to re-add google. I must have done backup and restore all my settings I guess. I probably neglected to disable again obi control afterwards.

There's two methods of changing Obihai ATA settings: Obitalk.com or via its WebUI/LAN IP.

If you used the Obitalk web portal (www.obitalk.com) to configure your ATA, keep in mind that you must continue using it to configure your ATA. Otherwise whatever settings you change will eventually be overwritten by what you previously entered at obitalk.com anyway. If you wish to disable this behaviour, dial ***1. Enter the IP address you hear into a web browser. Navigate to System Management-->OBiTalk Provisioning-->select Disabled for the method. Save. Reboot ATA. Now obitalk.com won't overwrite whatever changes you make via the device's interface (via IP address).

Pick one method (obitalk.com) or the other (IP address of device) for changing device settings. But do not use both methods.

If you want to use your Obitalk.com account to change ATA settings both Obitalk Provisioning and Obitalk Service must be enabled in the ATA.

Before hacked firmware (http://www.obifirmware.com/), the only way to provision Google Voice using official OAuth 2.0 versions of official Obihai device firmware was to use Obitalk.com.

When Google Voice shuts down its XMPP servers, Obihai users will need to update firmware to continue using Google Voice. The question is whether users, once again, will need to provision Google Voice at Obitalk.com when the new firmware is released. If so, Obitalk service and Obitalk Provisioning will need to be enabled again. And then users run the risk of ATA settings not matching what's in their Obitalk.com accounts and, in turn, risk having users' Obitalk.com settings overwriting settings in ATAs. That's why it's a good idea to backup your ATA's settings first before enabling Obitalk Service and Obitalk Provisioning. Note that backups don't contain passwords. Passwords need to be re-entered when restoring settings.
Last edited by Guest1284983 on Apr 29th, 2018 10:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dec 26, 2010
371 posts
82 upvotes
SW Ontario
Thanks webslinger
I understand what you are saying and (I recall understanding the behaviour earlier).
For some reason I left some time ago obitalk and provisioning enabled. Things are working now so I assume my settings from obitalk expert must be the ones that lead to the device working well. I dont want to change things now since they have been working for several months. I will make a note to check back at the end of may.
Thanks for keeping the community up to date with this.
May 31, 2016
120 posts
30 upvotes
Webslinger wrote:
Apr 29th, 2018 12:33 am
Be sure to backup your current ATA settings first before enabling Obitalk Provisioning because you then run the risk of having settings from your Obitalk.com account being transferred to your ATA and replacing your existing settings in your ATA.
I had a question regarding backing up settings, both specifically about this and in general.

Let's say I backup my settings (I already have) and enable the obitalk provisioning, and then it pushes out an update and overwrites my settings. I'd obviously then go and load my settings back (and manually enter passwords), but would doing so overwrite anything useful pushed down by the provisioning?

That also extends more generally to loading backups. When I first set things up, I set FPL up manually. I then read about GV, so obviously had to go to the obitalk portal to set that up. That overwrote my FPL settings because it initially pushed down on SP! (where FPL was). I wondered if I would be able to just load the backup I'd initially created and have it apply FPL back to SP1, without touching GV on SP2, or whether it would have wiped out the GV settings? I'm just wondering in a broad sense, how loading the backup behaves and if it wipes out other things, etc.

Thanks!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3286 upvotes
Looks as though XMPP death is slated for June 18th:
https://support.google.com/voice/forum/ ... o98/?hl=en
Last edited by Guest1284983 on May 1st, 2018 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3286 upvotes
gmason86 wrote:
May 1st, 2018 4:07 pm

, but would doing so overwrite anything useful pushed down by the provisioning

Whatever you have listed in your Obitalk.com settings page can be pushed to your ATA when Obitalk Service and Obitalk Provisioning are enabled when you click "Submit" at Obitalk.com

Also with either of those settings enabled, Obihai can push firmware to your ATA without your consent: https://forums.redflagdeals.com/newegg- ... #p28508704.
Last edited by Guest1284983 on May 1st, 2018 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May 31, 2016
120 posts
30 upvotes
Webslinger wrote:
May 1st, 2018 4:16 pm
Whatever you have listed in your Obitalk.com device settings will be pushed to your ATA when Obitalk Service and Obitalk Provisioning are enabled. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Also with either of those settings enabled, Obihai can push firmware to your ATA without your consent: https://forums.redflagdeals.com/newegg- ... #p28508704.
Thank you!

So if I enable the auto-provisioning when XMPP dies (if it does indeed turn out that we need to do that), and then it overwrites some/all of my device settings (and I therefore lose FPL, etc.), then I can just load my backup and all should be good again, including GV? My main worry was that when XMPP died, it would then make some necessary changes to the device settings for GV to work, and then me loading my backup would overwrite them back to the old settings and kill GV. Obviously loading the backup is great so I don't need to re-enter everything for FPL and Sipgate, but just wanting to avoid it killing whatever GV changes are made.

I've also read your note on basically loading those settings to ObiTalk if we end up having to have that switched on, though. So I'm guessing that would be the better route if indeed we do need to re-enable auto-provisioning and keep it enabled?

Thanks!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3286 upvotes
gmason86 wrote:
May 2nd, 2018 8:46 am

So if I enable the auto-provisioning
Obitalk Provisioning

If you want to use your Obitalk.com account to change ATA settings both Obitalk Provisioning and Obitalk Service must be enabled in the ATA.

when XMPP dies (if it does indeed turn out that we need to do that), and then it overwrites some/all of my device settings (and I therefore lose FPL, etc.),
That's the entire point of creating a backup of your ATA's settings and importing those backup settings into your device settings at Obitalk.com first before enabling Obitalk Service and Obitalk Provisioning in the ATA. Again, whatever you have listed in your Obitalk.com device settings can be pushed to your ATA when Obitalk Service and Obitalk Provisioning are enabled.

After importing backup settings to Obitalk.com, you will then need to go into the OBi Expert settings ("E" cog wheel) menu at Obitalk.com, and go through all your of device settings pages to check that your setting are what you want them to be. You may be required to re-enter and submit all your SIP account and GV passwords again at Obitalk.com.
Every time you see a red explanation mark, uncheck both the "Device Default" and "Obitalk Settings" boxes to see the value you imported from the ATA.
You will then need to save changes on every single page where you've had to uncheck the "device default" and "obitalk settings" boxes—or where you’ve made any changes.

Afterwards, you would enable Obitalk Service and Obitalk Provisioning in the ATA, provided doing so is required to continue using Google Voice after XMPP support dies.
So I'm guessing that would be the better route if indeed we do need to re-enable auto-provisioning
Obitalk Provisioning

Yes
and keep it enabled
I'm hoping users won't need to keep both Obitalk Service and Obitalk Provisioning enabled in order for GV to continue working. I know some people who are not thrilled with having new firmware pushed to them without their consent (and without their being prepared for it to be pushed).

At this time, I'm not even sure anything needs to be done other than updating firmware in order to upgrade to the new Google Voice platform (if that's the case, you don't need to enable Obitalk Service and Obitalk Provisioning; you would, instead, just need the firmware file), but I suspect you will have to enable Obitalk Service and Obitalk Provisioning. I'm also not sure whether anything needs to be done with existing Google Voice accounts either.

New OBi2xx ATAs that are being added to new Obitalk.com accounts are having the new firmware pushed to those ATAs.
Last edited by Guest1284983 on May 2nd, 2018 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2004
11907 posts
1927 upvotes
so i must update to new firmware?
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3286 upvotes
kiasu wrote:
May 4th, 2018 10:27 am
so i must update to new firmware?
Well, it looks like the answer is yes, after June 18th, if you wish to continue using Google Voice.
Until Google Voice stops working for you, you're not forced to update firmware.
Last edited by Guest1284983 on May 4th, 2018 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)