• Nov 14th, 2017 9:02 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8011 posts
2352 upvotes

Google Voice (XMPP) support ends for OBi100/110 ATA users

Official response from Obihai can be found here:

"As of last week, we became aware of Google Voice connectivity issues for customers with the OBi1 Series (OBi100 and OBi110). After further investigation, we confirmed that the current OBi1 Series software is no longer compatible with new Google Voice server security requirements. With this change, Google Voice is no longer compatible with the OBi1 Series. As you may have already known, in August of 2016 we notified customers that the OBi1 Series devices had reached their EOL (end of life) and would no longer be supported moving forward."

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php? ... 9#msg84139

SteveInWA wrote: I spoke with Obihai at 6:15pm today, and here is what has happened, and what will be done to fix it.

Please reference Obihai's post here: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php? ... 8#msg84058

Background:

OBi devices act as Google "Chat" (XMPP) clients, that can receive calls forwarded from a Google Voice inbound phone number. To do that, the OBi device needs to connect to a XMPP server in Google's pool of servers. Since this is a secure connection, the device needs a valid SSL/TLS certificate to connect. Google is changing their server certificates. This is causing some, but not all, OBi<-->Google XMPP connection attempts to be rejected by the server, when attempting to connect to one of their servers with a new certificate installed. Since the server pool is load-balanced, some users are affected, and others not.

Google is rolling out the new certificates, and so eventually, all OBi devices will fail to connect.

What needs to be done by Obihai to resolve this?

Obihai is in the process of modifying their device firmware to use the new certificates. The yellow triangle you'll see in the OBiTALK dashboard is because Obihai is pushing new firmware out to all 200-series and 10x2 series products, regardless of their warranty or post-warranty paid support status. Obihai will be pushing new versions with the new certificates ASAP.

FAQs

Is Obihai trying to rip us off and require payment to fix this?

Absolutely not. The firmware will be made available to every 200 and 10x2 device, free of charge, and if the device is registered on the OBiTALK web portal, the firmware will be pushed to you; all you will need to do is click the yellow triangle.

Is Google killing or banning OBi use for Google Voice?

No. Google is just changing their server certificates. There are no plans to discontinue either Google Voice itself, or the use of OBi devices with Google Voice.

Are there any settings I can change to fix this?

It's recommended that you use Google's DNS pool, (set DNS1 to 8.8.8.8 for primary and 8.8.4.4 for secondary). This will eliminate the possibility of errors that might be caused by some other DNS lookup. However, it won't solve this particular issue.

What can I do in the meantime?

Nothing, as far as your OBi is concerned, except to check back here for news, and to update the device's firmware when presented with the yellow triangle. You can still use Google Voice with regular 10-digit phone linked/forwarding phone numbers, and with Google Hangouts. Remember: Hangouts operates independently from any "Chat" settings on your Google Voice settings page. Each Hangouts client (web, Android or iOS) has its own toggle switch to turn on or off ringing on inbound calls.

<Insert conspiracy theory or angry outrage here>. Opinions, theories and emotional replies will be cheerfully ignored.

Latest firmware:

Clicking the yellow triangle will update your devices, as of 7pm Pacific time:

OBi 2xx series: 3.2.1 (Build: 5757EX)

OBi 10x2 series IP phones: 5.1.7 (Build: 4666EX.1311)

http://blog.obihai.com/2016/08/end-of-l ... 0-and.html

"With this EOL [End Of Life] announcement, affecting only the OBi100 and OBi110, it is important to understand that Obihai will no longer develop and release software updates. What does this mean? For example, if Google Voice, Anveo or any other service makes changes in the way they deliver their service where new software is required for the continued use the service with the OBi device, it will not be made available for the OBi100 and OBi110." (Obihai, August 10 2016)

OBi110 and 100 users might be interested in https://simonics.com/gw/. However, using a third party introduces the potential for an additional point of failure.
Anyway, that's a $5.99 USD option.

OBi 200/202 ATA series 3.2.1 (Build: 5757EX) firmware can be downloaded from http://fw.obihai.com/OBi202-3-2-1-5757EX.fw
Last edited by Webslinger on Nov 2nd, 2017 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please do not PM me for assistance unless it's to reply to a PM I sent. I try to help when I can on the forums. Thank you. OBi200/202 Freephoneline setup guide can be found here (v. 1.51x). Related OBi200 discussion can be found here. For OBi202, click here.
14 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2028 posts
70 upvotes
Toronto
Time to upgrade since there's an newegg sale going on right now for the 200

Thanks Webslinger for the headsup, always very helpful.
Last edited by AzNCrAzYcOoLeR on Nov 3rd, 2017 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8011 posts
2352 upvotes
AzNCrAzYcOoLeR wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 11:41 am
Time to upgrade since there's an newegg sale going on right now for the 202.
OBi200

You could use https://simonics.com/gw/ instead, if you want, for $5.99 USD. It allows you to use SIP to connect to GV. That is cheaper than buying another ATA. Up to you, of course.

I'm not sure how I feel about what Obihai is doing. I mean, on one hand, I know it takes money to develop and update firmware. You have to pay people to do that. And Obihai has the right to stop developing firmware for older devices. They're not the only company that behaves that way. And I know they made a discontinued/End of Life announcement in 2016 for OBi100/110 devices.

On the other hand, if you're already updating certificates in firmware for OBi2xx ATAs and in Obihai 10xx IP phones, then it seems to me (but I could be completely wrong) that it would be trivial to also update them for OBi1xx ATAs as well. It would be a gesture of goodwill at least. I dunno. I can see a lot of people getting pissed.

I'm not sure if this is true, but this could be one explanation:
https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31701652-
SArcanine wrote: I did some digging. Google appears to be switching to P-256 based certificates, which the Obi100/Obi110 likely do not support.
Last edited by Webslinger on Nov 3rd, 2017 11:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Please do not PM me for assistance unless it's to reply to a PM I sent. I try to help when I can on the forums. Thank you. OBi200/202 Freephoneline setup guide can be found here (v. 1.51x). Related OBi200 discussion can be found here. For OBi202, click here.
Oct 19, 2007
920 posts
121 upvotes
45.467253°N, 75.5123…
Gee wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 1:44 am
Crap, I have a few Obihai 110 still sealed in the box
+1... I bought one as a backup last year. Hopefully Simon GW will continue to work for the foreseeable future, but if not I guess I will start paying for outbound calls (don't have a GV number so inbound is irrelevant for me)
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
2598 posts
422 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
ooh. so for once the advice of "don't upgrade obi firmware unless you have to" is actually being executed. So from your other post it should be safe to just use the one the obitalk portal will try to push? right now i still have my connection to google voice and no triangle indicating new firmware.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8011 posts
2352 upvotes
Kevinck wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 2:17 pm
ooh. so for once the advice of "don't upgrade obi firmware unless you have to" is actually being executed.
Well, I usually said don’t bother updating firmware unless you’re having a problem. People are having a problem . . .

Anyway, this situation only applies if you use Google Voice .
So from your other post it should be safe to just use the one the obitalk portal will try to push?
Yes. I don't use Obitalk.com unless I have no other choice.
right now i still have my connection to google voice and no triangle indicating new firmware.
Is Obitalk Service, Obitalk Provisioning, and Auto Firmware Update enabled in your ATA? What firmware version are you using?
Anyway, I keep all that stuff disabled: newegg-obihai-obi200-49-99-free-shippin ... #p28405614. I only update firmware manually.

According to Obihai, GV is going to stop working for all OBi200 and OBi202 users due new certificates being required if you're using firmware older than 3.2.1 (Build: 5757EX).
So, if GV works for you now (and it still does for some people) with older firmware, Obihai claims GV eventually won't unless you update.

If you have an OBi200/202, the manual download is here: http://fw.obihai.com/OBi202-3-2-1-5757EX.fw.

Alternatively, you can try dialing ***6 followed by 1.
Sep 26, 2009
150 posts
42 upvotes
Stittsville
Webslinger wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 11:47 am
OBi200

You could use https://simonics.com/gw/ instead, if you want, for $5.99 USD. It allows you to use SIP to connect to GV. That is cheaper than buying another ATA. Up to you, of course.
Why not just integrate Google Voice on to you DDWRT router running Asterisk.

https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic ... ogle+voice
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8011 posts
2352 upvotes
kaka55 wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 5:33 pm
Why not just integrate Google Voice on to you DDWRT
Thanks for the suggestion.

I have no need to do so, and I don't own a OBi110/100 series ATA. But if you're talking generally about others, not everyone has a DD-WRT compatible router, not everyone wants to use DD-WRT, and not everyone wants to learn Asterisk.
Also I'm not sure if it's possible to permanently set Unreplied UDP timeouts in DD-WRT: https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1032124. If it is then, great.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
2573 posts
456 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Explains why one of our obi boxes [100] only works intermittently... will look into replacing with 200 series or just use open SP on one already have.

See what black friday sales bring!!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8011 posts
2352 upvotes
georvu wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 6:09 pm
See what black friday sales bring!!
You did just miss a sale: https://forums.redflagdeals.com/newegg- ... g-2138620/.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
2573 posts
456 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Webslinger wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 5:52 pm
Thanks for the suggestion.

I have no need to do so, and I don't own a OBi110/100 series ATA. But if you're talking generally about others, not everyone has a DD-WRT compatible router, not everyone wants to use DD-WRT, and not everyone wants to learn Asterisk.
Also I'm not sure if it's possible to permanently set Unreplied UDP timeouts in DD-WRT: https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1032124. If it is then, great.
Which of the newer Obi would you recommend... 200 or 212 or other? Thanks
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8011 posts
2352 upvotes
georvu wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 6:16 pm
Which of the newer Obi would you recommend... 200 or 212 or other? Thanks

old pic

OBi1xx series does not support GV anymore.

OBi212 (OBi110 replacement) is only sold in the U.S. at the moment: https://www.amazon.com/OBi212-Universal ... B075839DD6 (doesn't ship to Canada atm either), and it's only useful if you have a POTS/traditional telephone line.

Choice between OBi200 and OBi202 depends on how many phone ports you want.
Last edited by Webslinger on Nov 14th, 2017 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
2573 posts
456 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
^^ Wasn't expecting to replace just yet so whenever US had 29.99 sale price... just missed one recently. :(

Does the 4.2.2.2 or Google DNS servers setting work on the older 100 series to keep connected longer? Or not really a solution?

Thanks.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
8011 posts
2352 upvotes
georvu wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 8:58 pm

Does the 4.2.2.2 or Google DNS servers setting work on the older 100 series to keep connected longer? Or not really a solution?
No. The people who keep writing that it's a DNS issue are clueless (actually, I found them phenomenally annoying when I was trying to troubleshoot this problem for someone else).

OBi20x series is sold at Newegg.ca

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)