• Dec 24th, 2017 2:26 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3277 upvotes
georvu wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 8:58 pm
^^ Wasn't expecting to replace just yet so whenever US had 29.99 sale price... just missed one recently. :(
OBi200 is on sale again: newegg-obihai-obi200-ata-49-99-1-50-ehf ... x-2145415/.
Please do not PM me for tech support. I help out on the forums when I can. Thank you.
OBi200/202 Freephonline PDF guide (version 1.60) can be found here. OBi200 info can be found here. For OBi202 info, click here.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2003
4436 posts
1324 upvotes
Kingston
Webslinger wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 9:02 pm
No. The people who keep writing that it's a DNS issue are clueless (actually, I found them phenomenally annoying when I was trying to troubleshoot this problem for someone else).

OBi20x series is sold at Newegg.ca
What about this, would this fix the problem once google voice stops working?

Simonics Google Voice gateway service
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13169.0
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3277 upvotes
Tha DraGun wrote:
Nov 21st, 2017 6:21 pm
What about this, would this fix the problem once google voice stops working?
To clarify, Google Voice hasn't stopped working. Obihai just isn't going to update firmware in OBi1xx ATAs in order for them to support the new SSL/TLS certificates that Google Voice is using.
Tha DraGun wrote:Simonics Google Voice gateway service
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13169.0
Yes, I mentioned that in the first post in this thread:

google-voice-xmpp-support-ends-obi100-1 ... #p28414838
Webslinger wrote:OBi110 and 100 users might be interested in https://simonics.com/gw/. However, using a third party introduces the potential for an additional point of failure.
Anyway, that's a $5.99 USD option.
You can actually get it for $4.99 USD, but I'd have to post a website referral link. And I think referrals are against RFD rules.
Last edited by Guest1284983 on Nov 21st, 2017 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please do not PM me for tech support. I help out on the forums when I can. Thank you.
OBi200/202 Freephonline PDF guide (version 1.60) can be found here. OBi200 info can be found here. For OBi202 info, click here.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3277 upvotes
Webslinger wrote:
Nov 21st, 2017 3:16 pm
OBi200 is on sale again: newegg-obihai-obi200-ata-49-99-1-50-ehf ... x-2145415/.
And OBi202 is on sale until Cyber Monday: newegg-obihai-obi202-ata-69-99-1-50-ehf ... x-2146968/.
Last edited by Guest1284983 on Nov 24th, 2017 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
7621 posts
1392 upvotes
Thanks, my OBI no longer connects to google voice today.
Dec 4, 2017
1 posts
1 upvote
SteveInWA wrote: It is six dollars per Google account.

Why not just buy a new OBi 200 and be happy?
Because this will become a repeating pattern where Obitalk abandons their products in order to sell more product to users when they could perform the fix within 20 minutes and send it out. All that has changed is a certificate has expired which is a common occurrence on the Internet. Do you need a new browser every time an Internet certificate expires? No. This issue is not how easy the fix is, (knowing it as a software engineer developer and architect, very few things are easier), but seeing the greed of Obitalk and its lack of loyalty to its customers.

It literally would take possibly 10 minutes including the time it took for the automatic compilers to run. Unless they are idiots, it would take another 10 minutes to quality check the miniscule changes in the firmware, likely less as software test automation is probably used. The most time it would take would be convincing management that this is valuable to many many thousands add customers and allowing perfectly good hardware to die because of a site certificate expiring during the Christmas season is like the Grinch stealing Christmas.

instead Obitalk management found a way to coerce users to buy the next generation box ( released in 2013 ), with no guarantee on how long they will support it and decide it is obsolete (refusing to make miniscule changes to firmware as Google certificates will regularly expire), forcing users to buy the next generation. Basically all this company has to do is wait for a Google certificate to expire and then it can declare any product obsolete in force you into buying the next generation if it exists. You're guaranteed that any products that this company sells in this manner will die. It is a guaranteed certainty. It is also possible that the company could code around this so the products would never die for this reason. As such it is a very bad business practice for companies to buy this product. You do not have any capability of determining how long a product will last or what value your investment into numerous units of this product will be. Furthermore you are at the mercy of the company that is exploiting a certainty and regular common occurrence for its own profit. Obihai can literally look at when a certificate is going to expire in plan for the generation that is the oldest to die simply by poor coding in its firmware, as it's perfectly possible to program firmware capable of handling certificates expiring and then renewed. No other hardware company on the planet does this.

Truly they could even automate around the certificate updates so they had zero impact on future firmware.

Most hardware companies products do not cease to work when an Internet certificate expires. Could you see Cisco doing this? Netgear? Linksys? This is an extremely immature move that hurts a lot of people and companies as many have not just invested $50 into a box but several hundred or thousands with multiple boxes. I could see this turning into a class action lawsuit.

The question becomes do you want to be held hostage by a company that can at anytime allow its product to go obsolete and force you to upgrade to a whole new generation, or abandon Google voice, or rely on something like Simonics Google Voice Gateway until it goes or of business or forces users to pay more, as it could do the same thing when certificates expire.

The original boxes /company that Obitalk came from didn't have this type of thinking behind it, they were good, honest people.

It's very sad to see where the original hardware has ended up and how it's become obsolete at the whim of management.

This is not a technical challenge, it's a business decision solely for more money from customers. The cost of updating the firmware is negligible. The cost of allowing users to continue using old hardware that will likely not die for many years is simply not acceptable to Obihai.

One user wrote:
"I have a friend, a software engineer. He moonlights doing these things. He charges about $200 per hour and says he can probably incorporate the codes from the 2XX into the 1XX--and will probably only take about 7.5 hours to do. I can put you in touch with him...or you can buy the OBi212 for $80. Hard to decide isn't it?"

I suspect that friend could make one heck of a lot of money by just charging one dollar for each firmware downloaded, from Obitalk customers as more and more models over the years will die certificates as they expire, for no purpose other than profits. Internet and site certificates were not created for this reason but they were created for security and safety, not to coerce people to upgrade as they expire. THIS gives Google a black eye as every time their certificates expire this company will be able to profit, simply because it's code cannot handle a renewed/updated certificate. NOTHING in Google APIs have been changed.

It's it would take more time to reverse engineer it, post the new firmware, and set up a sales site, than the 15 minutes including automated testing to update this firmware so that it works Google's new certificate.

Make no mistake about it this is a pure greedy business decision as Obihai could easily make and post the change that would allow these boxes to continue to work even when Google has made a certificate change or it expires.

It would not surprise me that a past firmware upgrade actually introduced the code for the firmware to stop working when a certificate expires (as this is the first time this has happened this way, even with boxes with old firmware. I wonder if you can put the old original back and it would work.) Furthermore they likely already have a fix but refuse to give it to most people as those that have bought service plans from Obihai will continue to have their devices working until the plans expire. The only way they could have accomplished that is if they already have a firmware that corresponds to the new certificate.

So right now there are 1xx model Obitalk boxes that are working perfectly fine, and will continue to do so until the bought support expires, which would have to be programmed into the firmware once again. I've never known a hardware company to do this either. This is a type of thing that makes customers run as fast as they can to new solutions, and then to lawyers.

Could Obitalk easily make available the same changes/updates to the rest of the community? Yes. when you bought the boxes did Obitalk tell you that there would be a time that an expiring certificate by Google would correspond with the end of life of the product? No. Will the Obitalk 200 boxes also die the next time the next certificate expires? Likely, maybe before, maybe the following certificate update. But this appears to be Obihai's MO.

Expiring certificates can EASILY be handled by software so products continue to work, even when a new certificate is issued. The code is very simple to write. There is no reason why these boxes need to be now thrown away as all of them are in perfectly good physical working order. There's even the boxes with updated firmware that others do not have because only some are still under the support policy. This is just crooked. How can any CIO/CEO/CTO trust to buy a company's products like this in the business world. Simple answer is they cannot.

This is all so that Obihai can sell more boxes as its growth has slowed due to its inability to innovate and sell new services, combined with saturation of the voice over IP market (of those preferring Google Voice).

Let's face it if the company doesn't have a recurring source of revenue (e.g. the boxes continue to work almost indefinitely hardware wise) then Obihai will not be in business as their add-ons are not selling enough to support their business. They simply don't have the skills/talent to sell additional services as most people do not buy them. Yet does this give Obihai the right to program in the death of the box whenever Google certificates expire and they decide not to upgrade firmware? Hell no.

Yes you can use a third-party company to pay them six dollars (2017) per each account (e.g. Phone number) tied to these boxes which could be $6 to $24 or more per box. What happens if this company then goes out of business, or decides the smallest Google change requires $X more per account?

The reason why the support fees didn't work for Obihai Is that people found workarounds for obtaining the firmware and updating their own boxes. This was the first model that the company tried to enhance its revenue stream.

The next model was add-on services. But let's face it it's line of products really hasn't changed and anything in addition most of their original customers simply are not buying. If the SIP standard wasn't a universal standard I'm sure that Obihai would find a way to make that cease functioning also by introducing "ransom death" into a firmware update, but fortunately it's an international standard and if they marketed their products supporting the standard then they can't break such, else be deemed incompetent. It's very unfortunate that Google didn't set a standard for Google voice that mandated the ability to work with things such as renewed certificates. Instead Obihai exploited this to coerce users to take the easy route and buy a few new boxes rather then abandon Google voice.

(On a side note, It says a lot about a company when they censor users on their forums if they are criticizing the company. This is a common occurrence according to Obihai's customers on Obihai forums. I don't expect this post to last long if posted there. I'll have to find another place to post it as well on Obihai's forums.

Again in part this is also Google's fault for allowing this company to exploit its user base. Obihai's customers believe that products based on Google's standards will last until they physically die or Google changes it's API significantly, versus Obihai having greedy motives and using substandard coding that actually predicts and implements when a product will die based on the expiration of a Google certificate. Keep in mind certificates are made to expire regularly. This whole cluster action, is really a black eye for Google as well.

If all this was about just a $50 box (where either the hardware died or the hardware actually became obsolete) then I would pay another $50. However it's not. It's truly about what length a company will go to to squeeze blood out of its customers based on opportunists exploiting an event on the Internet as sure to , and regularly happen, as there are elections ever few years.

There's an adage in technology, innovate or die. Obihai innovations are not making enough money to keep them afloat so instead they programmed in what basically amounts as a ransom timer until their products go dead. This is the ultimate planned obsolescence a product.

Take audio video receivers for example. At least with A/V receivers they become obsolete as new video standards are introduced, new audio standards introduced, better electronics are introduced, or completely new services are added. Yet the AV receivers will continue to work for many years and the reason most people upgrade our because they want the added features, or the hardware dies and fixing them is either inconvenient or costly. Not because of a known event programmed into their firmware. Smartphones do not do this, TVs do not do this, routers do not do this, computers do not do this,no other known electronic piece of equipment has had this malice programmed into their firmwares. It's much like a virus program to go off on a certain date. I think most legal systems would see the same thing.

If this company had any sense of fairness or values they would make available the firmware for completely functional hardware to continue working in the light of minuscule changes by Google's voice networks. Furthermore they would fix the firmware so that certificate expirations and renewals will not cause the death of the product. They could also, or instead, released the source code to the firmware and allow users to change it themselves if Obihai doesn't want to be bothered ( as they refuse changing the firmware for "obsolete" products, now and future). Yet the only thing that's honestly obsolete about this product is a handful of lines of code in the firmware. Netgear and other companies release their source code and even encourage users to expand upon it. I believe that's what this company should do along with push significant innovations, rather then rely upon the firmware killing the hardware at known intervals.

I strongly suggest, if legal, that the friend an Obihai customer has, to spend eight hours at $200 to change the firmware to work with the updated certificate and market that firmware update; alternatively write a separate firmware which would allow all these boxes to continue to work with Google voice and SIP, and profit handsomely. The programmer could add a lot of functionality that Obihai has missed. In reality this is also an opportunity for some bright entrepreneurs, unless Google was foolish and gave Obihai exclusive rights to Google voice (doubtful). Its an opportunity for any and all Obihai competitors to now include Google voice in the products. Market that Obihai's refusal to spend an hour updating firmware (especially when it could be coded to completely avoid the situation in the first place), will be the death of Obihai. In all honesty there are many opportunities for companies now because Obihai Is not only being disloyal to its customers but is exploiting a known event to disable choosen hardware, and handling Google Voice so as to profit off the backs of its user base by disabling functioning hardware via firmware coded to cease functioning upon an event that is absolutely certain to happen.

Lastly I think a lot of people believe most bought maybe one or two Obihai 1xx products, so they don't think it's a big deal for others to pay a few dollars for the next hardware iteration ( basically a different colored box with no/few additional features), in order to support the company being able to continue to profit. Yet there are many people and businesses who bought many boxes and this impacts them deeply in the wallet, and in the operations of their lives and businesses.

Most of those people will not reinvest in a company where the whim of corporate executives will make a product obsolete, especially when it still could perform perfectly, and would continue to do so if the firmware was coded correctly in the beginning, and not with a known time bomb. In many ways this is like a virus, worm or Trojan horse being introduced into a product to shut it down at a specified time.

I, for one, would much rather see the company institute another support fee for firmware upgrades even if it's for the slightest hiccup in a networking environment to continue to operate, then to be coerced into abandoning functioning hardware, in order to be sold what is essentially the same product wearing a different costume (near 5 years old at that). I don't know of ANY other hardware vendors that would do such a thing in the networking, or any other, world. It goes against the very foundation of why VOIP, SIP, Google Voice etc were created in the first place. Yet because of Obihai's shortsighted actions, many thousands of perfectly working devices (without an hours work to upgrade all these devices) will mostly wind up filling landfills hurting the environment, as most people will simply throw them out. Meanwhile individuals and customers have lost communications with the outside world and rushing to solve that issue as well, as even though Obihai very likely knew of the day of reckoning, they gave a very vague accounting of when it would happen.

I'll be looking for other vendors solutions because I cannot trust this company any longer. The next version of their product was released in 2013, and all it will take is another minor update/change etc that this company knows about, to be programmed into existing and future models, to force a repeat in this twisted forced obsolescence, and plan to refill the cooperate coffers.

Again I don't suspect this message if on Obihai forums will last long, as this company censors customers views rather than addressing them and finding either common ground ( or being a champion/hero putting the customers first, especially during Christmas season when everybody already has their hands full and buying things and it cuts off communication to people throughout the United States in the world.) All when a one hour firmware update (coding/compiling/testing/deploying) would solve all of it and establish good will towards customers during this Holiday season. Instead Greed.

However, I see this as the beginning of the end of this company - unless until it sells out to another with different management, as its customer base will be forever tainted by such callousness and greed. I suspect this will be even brought up in online blogs, voice over IP forms, standard conferences, for years to come; and at the very least Obihai will forever be enshrined within the Wikipedia, documenting this folly.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3277 upvotes
I did reply originally, and then deleted my response . . . But I think this does need to be addressed

Mlbnva wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 8:09 pm
Because this will become a repeating pattern where Obitalk abandons their products
Obihai, right?

All that has changed is a certificate has expired
While I appreciate that certificates can expire, we weren't told that certificates did expire. Rather, we were told SSL/TLS certificates were changed. Have you discovered otherwise?

Also,
https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31701652-
SArcanine wrote: I did some digging. Google appears to be switching to P-256 based certificates, which the Obi100/Obi110 likely do not support.
That doesn't mean certificates expired.
Mlbnva wrote:The most time it would take would be convincing management that this is valuable to many many thousands add customers and allowing perfectly good hardware to die
The only aspect of the OBi1xx series dying is GV (XMPP) support. It's not as though these devices don't work with SIP services.
instead Obitalk management found a way to coerce users to buy the next generation box ( released in 2013
I've had an OBi202 since 2012.

You're guaranteed that any products that this company sells in this manner will die. It is a guaranteed certainty.

The only precedent being set here is for GV (XMPP) support.

Could you see Cisco doing this? Netgear? Linksys?
Linksys PAP2Ts are discontinued. ATAs are eventually discontinued. It happens. Firmware development ceased years ago for the PAP series.
The difference is that these other ATAs don't support Google Voice (XMPP) natively, so nobody cares, as long as SIP continues to work.

I am sympathetic to your criticism. On the other hand, none of these companies supported GV (XMPP) for over 6 years either, so I'm not sure the comparison is valid. And I don't have an Obihai ATA solely because I want to use GV on it. I have one because nothing else in its price range offers the call routing features of an Obihai ATA nor the Auto Attendant feature. I am able to use multiple SIP services and route calls between them without the
need of a third party service. They're simply powerful ATAs even without GV support.
This is an extremely immature move that hurts a lot of people and companies as many have not just invested $50 into a box but several hundred or thousands with multiple boxes.
Google doesn't recommend Google Voice for business purposes. There's no service guarantee, and they don't offer direct telephone support. Moreover, I'm not sure why any company (illogical, to me) would be deploying
tons of OBi1xx series ATAs, which were targeted for residential use, in a large or even, medium sized, business. And then I would also begin to wonder whether any company doing this solely for the use of Google Voice, which is the focus of your complaint, wouldn't be breaking Google Voice's Terms of Service.

Obihai does offer commercial/business devices instead. For example, it makes little sense to me why a large company would be deploying 20 OBi1xx ATAs instead using OBi508vs, if it absolutely wanted to use Google Voice for some reason.
rely on something like Simonics Google Voice Gateway until it goes or of business
What guarantee do you have that any SIP service won't go out of business?

or forces users to pay more, as it could do the same thing when certificates expire.
What evidence do you have that certificates expired--as opposed to be changed?

Regardless, I am sympathetic, but you've lost me here.
Do you have any evidence to suggest Bill Simon has forced his existing users to pay more?
If not, then why infer that he might?
Later, in your post, you want other competitors to start supporting GV. Does the same speculation of forcing users to pay more not apply to them--but only to Bill Simon?
Why are you casting doubt on him, specifically? Your reasoning here doesn't work.

The original boxes /company that Obitalk came from didn't have this type of thinking behind it, they were good, honest people.
I have no reason to doubt that they were good, honest people. But did you know them personally?
The cost of updating the firmware is negligible.
I speculate that is true, in particular, since firmware updates were released for OBi2xx series ATAs and Obihai IP phones. However, I'm just speculating.
The cost of allowing users to continue using old hardware that will likely not die for many years
Again, you're just focusing on Google Voice.

THIS gives Google a black eye as every time their certificates expire this company will be able to profit
Now, you're blaming Google for what Obihai has done?

You talk about class action lawsuits, but, in my opinion, what you're writing verges on libel. You're speculating, negatively, about Bill Simon's business practices without citing anything that would indicate an established precedent of wrongdoing involving Google Voice Gateway, and now you're blaming Google for Obihai's actions.
Furthermore they likely already have a fix but refuse to give it to most people as those that have bought service plans from Obihai will continue to have their devices working until the plans expire. The only way they could have accomplished that is if they already have a firmware that corresponds to the new certificate.
Do you have any evidence at all to support that OBi1xx users on extended support plans, universally, have no issues connecting to GV?
So right now there are 1xx model Obitalk boxes that are working perfectly fine
Until they connect to a server with an updated certificate that's not supported

If what you're saying here is true, then yeah, okay, go ahead and vent; I would fully agree that's horrible. But you're not providing any evidence.

What you would need is for someone who currently can't connect (despite repeated reboots) to pay the $10 USD fee, if that's still possible, which I doubt.

This is what we were told:
"Since the server pool is load-balanced, some users are affected, and others not."

You're suggesting the users that aren't affected, instead, paid for support. Do you have any evidence of that?
Yes you can use a third-party company to pay them six dollars (2017) per each account (e.g. Phone number) tied to these boxes which could be $6 to $24 or more per box. What happens if this company then goes out of business
What happens if any SIP service goes out of business?
What happens if Google abandons Google Voice?
or decides the smallest Google change requires $X more per account?
Where is the precedent set by Bill Simon for this?

Again in part this is also Google's fault
I'm sympathetic to someone being upset about support having ended for GV on the OBi1xx series ATAs. I really am, and I mentioned earlier in this thread that I could foresee OBi1xx users being pissed. I understand that.
And I don't have a ton of love for Google (or most large corporations, really), but blaming Google for the actions of a third party doesn't work for me.

Obihai having greedy motives and using substandard coding that actually predicts and implements when a product will die . . .. Obihai innovations are not making enough money to keep them afloat so instead they programmed in what basically amounts as a ransom timer until their products go dead.
Equating Obihai not updating its 1xx series ATAs to support newer certificates to adding "ransom timers" to its products is a bit of a stretch.
"Actually predicts"? Based on what a third party does? How do you know Google updated certificates, in this case, because they expired?
Yet does this give Obihai the right to program in the death of the box
Do you have any evidence of this? I mean, if hated Obihai enough, I could accuse Obihai of listening to my phone calls (they're very exciting!) and stealing beer from my fridge.

If this company had any sense of fairness or values they would make available the firmware for completely functional hardware to continue working in the light of minuscule changes by Google's voice networks.
This is the statement I am most sympathetic to. I am willing to be proven wrong, but it certainly may be trivial to update OBi1xx ATAs to support GV. And if so, yeah, that sucks.
Furthermore they would fix the firmware so that certificate expirations and renewals will not cause the death of the product. They could also, or instead, released the source code to the firmware and allow users to change it themselves if Obihai doesn't want to be bothered ( as they refuse changing the firmware for "obsolete" products, now and future). Yet the only thing that's honestly obsolete
The only thing obsolete about the Obi1xx series is its lack of support for GV. They're still excellent as residential ATAs in general. Consequently, there's no need for them end up in graveyards.
I don't know of ANY other hardware vendors that would do such a thing in the networking, or any other, world.
What happens when iPhones no longer support the latest iOS version? Do all app services keep working? No.

Yet because of Obihai's shortsighted actions, many thousands of perfectly working devices (without an hours work to upgrade all these devices) will mostly wind up filling landfills hurting the environment, as most people will simply throw them out.
The only thing obsolete about the Obi1xx series is its lack of support for GV. They're still excellent as residential ATAs in general. Consequently, there's no need for them end up in graveyards.
I, for one, would much rather see the company institute another support fee for firmware upgrades
I want firmware updates for free.
Obihai already was charging for firmware upgrades via the Obitalk.com portal for $10 USD per year (manually updating without using the Obitalk.com portal is free and always has been free). After 4 years of paying $10 USD, you might as well have bought an OBi200 instead.

even though Obihai very likely knew of the day of reckoning, they gave a very vague accounting of when it would happen.
Based on what evidence?

Respectfully, I understand your anger, and you do have the right to rant. However, I feel large sections of your writing verge on hyperbole and also border on libel, given your lack of citations.

I suppose you're angry at SteveinWA: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php? ... 9#msg85239. I have a better understanding of the context of your post after reading his response to you.
Last edited by Guest1284983 on Dec 6th, 2017 1:50 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Dec 8, 2017
1 posts
He is right about the certificates, this is an easy fix for obi. This is not a hardware issue and should be addressed by Obi in a proper manner. If they want to charge for the update fine but do not make your products obsolete over a software issue especially over a certificate. You have a few choices here besides buying another potentially obsolete device from Obi. The easiest option is to buy a headset and use your computer as a telephone. Not playing the Obi obsolete hardware game.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3277 upvotes
RobertS485184 wrote:
Dec 9th, 2017 10:25 am
He is right about the certificates
What aspect of them? There's a difference between updating a certificate due to an expiry date and changing it for some other, unrelated reason.

For example,
https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31701652-
SArcanine wrote: I did some digging. Google appears to be switching to P-256 based certificates, which the Obi100/Obi110 likely do not support.
RobertS485184 wrote:this is an easy fix for obi
That could certainly be true (I suspect it is), but I'm not positive. If that is true, then yes, I think this situation sucks.

If they want to charge for the update fine
I think any firmware update should be free, personally.

People saying they want to pay for updates. . . why????? Updating firmware via Obitalk.com costs $10 USD (includes extended support), per year (after the initial year of the device purchase).
Is that really what people want? I sure don't want to pay $10 USD annually for the privilege of being able to use a free service on regular telephone or IP Phone. I feel anyone suggesting this is not helping.
"OMG, Obihai is comprised of moneysucking thieves! Damn them to hell! Oh hey, take my money: charge me for firmware updates instead!" Unhhhh, weren't you guys already complaining about this before?
I'm fine with not paying anything and updating firmware manually instead, as I have been doing.

Let's say the following is true (hypothetical):

1. Obihai sells hardware that, for the most part, doesn't need to upgraded constantly, in the same manner that iPhones eventually do. There's not a constant source of new revenue being generated from existing users.
2. Obihai introduces annual fees for using Obitalk.com to update firmware via Obitalk.com and for support.
3. #2 fails because many people, including myself, feel it's total b.s. to be charging for firmware updates.
4. Obihai decides it's going to stop updating firmware to support GV for the 1xx series ATAs, forcing GV users to buy OBi2xx series ATAs (or IP phones).

Why are we returning to #2 as a solution?

Alternatively, Google Voice Gateway costs $5.99 USD per GV account for as long as you use it.
but do not make your products obsolete over a software issue especially over a certificate. You have a few choices here besides buying another potentially obsolete device from Obi.
That only matters for Google Voice--nothing else.
The easiest option is to buy a headset and use your computer as a telephone.
The easiest option is to use Google Voice Gateway instead if someone wants Google Voice support.

I can't think of too many people that want to leave their computers on 24/7 for the sake of a home phone. For those that do, in Canada, there's the freephoneline desktop app.
Google Voice doesn't issue Canadian phone numbers.

Anyway, any claim of the hardware being completely obsolete is, I feel, misleading at best. I know a few people that have OBi1xx ATAs that don't use GV at all and never have. ATAs are usually purchased to support SIP services; certainly no one buying a OBi3xx series ATA is buying one for GV support. Regardless, no ATA in an OBi200's price range, in particular when it's on sale, comes close to offering the call routing features offered by it. So the choice, for most, comes down to paying for Google Voice Gateway for $5.99 USD (or $1 less with another site's referral code) or buying an OBi2xx series ATA. If someone wants to boycott Obihai and buy another ATA in the same price range, it's going to be a product with less features, unfortunately.
Last edited by Guest1284983 on Dec 9th, 2017 11:08 am, edited 6 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
632 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Webslinger wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2017 11:11 pm
Google Voice (XMPP) support ends for OBi100/110 ATA users
I suppose non GV users are not affected. As GV is generally not available to Canadian (unless with workaround), the effect should be little
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
9125 posts
259 upvotes
Just cancelled triple play again and moving back to Google Voice, I guess the only option is to get the OBi200? Was using the OBi100 years ago..

Oh, looks like Newegg.com has the OBi200 on sale too! Sweet!
it's me ramin.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3277 upvotes
B0000rt wrote:
Dec 15th, 2017 10:01 am
I guess the only option is to get the OBi200?
https://simonics.com/services/

Also, https://hobbiesbytwinclouds.wordpress.c ... 5-minutes/
(but a lot of people won't want to be bothered)
Oh, looks like Newegg.com has the OBi200
Newegg.com is U.S. only

OBi202 is $30 off the regular price of $99.99: https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.a ... 1683361700, but shipping isn't free, at the moment.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
9125 posts
259 upvotes
Webslinger wrote:
Dec 15th, 2017 10:16 am
https://simonics.com/services/

Also, https://hobbiesbytwinclouds.wordpress.c ... 5-minutes/
(but a lot of people won't want to be bothered)

Newegg.com is U.S. only

OBi202 is $30 off the regular price of $99.99: https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.a ... 1683361700, but shipping isn't free, at the moment.
Saw you mentioned it's another point of failure. I'm alright with spending $30 USD in another obihai device. The previous one lasted me a while.

I'm aware newgg.com U.S. only :)
it's me ramin.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3277 upvotes
B0000rt wrote:
Dec 15th, 2017 10:53 am
Saw you mentioned it's another point of failure.
Sure. If GVG's proxy servers go down then (or some other problem arises), your GV service goes down, regardless of whether GV is working.
But, GVG does offer server redundancy/failover (if one server goes down, your ATA can register with another server automatically): http://support.simonics.com/support/sol ... redundancy.
I'm aware newgg.com U.S. only
Oh, okay. Some people don't want to deal with shipping to U.S. addresses, using some 3rd party service to ship the item to Canada, or clearing customs themselves.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
4560 posts
1428 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Weird... already got Obi 200 but friends with older obi 100/110 are saying their devices are back to working with GV... temp situation??

Put my old obi and it too worked when had not for last few weeks??