Sep 21, 2004
10984 posts
5819 upvotes
Calgary

GoPro Hero 6 black - $120 price drop

Deal Link:
Savings:
$120
GoPro has reduced the Hero 6 price from $649 to $529. The price drop is global so Amazon and Best Buy are selling it at the new lower price.

It may be a good deal for those waiting on the latest GoPro.

In the US it's dropped from $499 to $399 USD.
79 replies
Jun 5, 2012
337 posts
117 upvotes
Ottawa
Most of the Third parties selling for the same price as their regular. Another Amz price fooling.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
4164 posts
3098 upvotes
Ontario
I heard there was some China Made that were matching the quality costing $100 or so. Is this true?
---
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2012
1858 posts
627 upvotes
TO
kanechart wrote: I heard there was some China Made that were matching the quality costing $100 or so. Is this true?
No. You get what you pay for.
Wins
2015: 69.99$
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2007
4164 posts
3098 upvotes
Ontario
TheWalrus wrote: No. You get what you pay for.
Can't compare to the latest models so this one would be considered crappy vs say Hero 5?
---
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16730 posts
2408 upvotes
Must be due to the poor earnings report recently... saying that, the Hero 6 is a great small camera. I use it primarily for home videos.

I like the wide angle view plus it's more convenient than my smartphone.
kanechart wrote: I heard there was some China Made that were matching the quality costing $100 or so. Is this true?
No, for one thing, the GoPro is waterproof without a case, the Chinese ones aren't.

Picture quality is very good on the GoPro, mediocre on the cheap Chinese cameras.

There are higher end Chinese cameras like the Yi camera, but I think they run about $300, and even then it is not waterproof without a case.

Saying that, it really depends if you feel it's worth paying the GoPro premium, a Yi camera for example is very comparable for day-to-day use.
kanechart wrote: Can't compare to the latest models so this one would be considered crappy vs say Hero 5?
Not ... more like GoPro Hero 3. The cheap ones really pale in comparison to the Hero 5 and 6. You need to spend at least $200 I think to get a comparable camera.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
8294 posts
7189 upvotes
Most people compare Hero 6 ($530) with Yi 4K+ ($350).

Hero 6 is better at most tests except details. Yi's image is sharper. Yi need waterproof casing, Hero 6 doesn't.

There are enough reviews between these 2 on youtube.

Consider Yi is 6-10 months older than GoPro, there is a good chance next Yi will leap over 6 again soon. So it really depends what you need action cam for, if you are a youtuber and Vlogs, the GoPro is worth it. If you only need it on the 2 vacations you take a year, Yi 4k+ won't disappoint.

I think the action cam market is done. GoPro stock is taking a dive and looking for someone to bail them out. This kind of price drop is either signs of desperation or the fact that the market doesn't want to pay a premium for this.

Really, when it start to hit $300-$400, it's no longer a camera you can afford to lose.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2003
1566 posts
95 upvotes
I just received Hero 6 ($530.83 total) I ordered from the gopro site. I saved myself tax.
...life is nothing more than a journey through the consequences of our actions...

Kingsway Image Instagram || Gallery
[OP]
Sep 21, 2004
10984 posts
5819 upvotes
Calgary
Xtrema wrote: Most people compare Hero 6 ($530) with Yi 4K+ ($350).

Hero 6 is better at most tests except details. Yi's image is sharper. Yi need waterproof casing, Hero 6 doesn't.

There are enough reviews between these 2 on youtube.

Consider Yi is 6-10 months older than GoPro, there is a good chance next Yi will leap over 6 again soon. So it really depends what you need action cam for, if you are a youtuber and Vlogs, the GoPro is worth it. If you only need it on the 2 vacations you take a year, Yi 4k+ won't disappoint.

I think the action cam market is done. GoPro stock is taking a dive and looking for someone to bail them out. This kind of price drop is either signs of desperation or the fact that the market doesn't want to pay a premium for this.

Really, when it start to hit $300-$400, it's no longer a camera you can afford to lose.
Exactly. Which is why I did't pull the trigger. $500-600 is a lot of money for an item that does only video and photo. Most Chinese knockoffs can't compare to the quality of GoPro 6 or 5.

That being said, there is a thread of the Yi Action camera under $200. Might be a good deal for casual users, like me.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13610 posts
2978 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
The price drop is the result of declining sales of Go Pro. Basically a last ditch effort to save the company.

https://slate.com/technology/2018/01/go ... -sale.html
Despite continued dedication among adrenaline junkies and adventure athletes, camera maker GoPro isn’t doing so hot. On Monday, the company’s stock fell 23 percent in early trading after it confirmed plans to lay off at least 250 employees (20 percent of its workforce) and shutter its drone division. Following weak revenue guidance for the fourth quarter of the fiscal year, CEO Nick Woodman also announced he’d be cutting his cash compensation to $1 for the upcoming year. Now, the company is even considering putting itself up for sale.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15340 posts
9897 upvotes
Southern Ontario
b166er1337 wrote: Exactly. Which is why I did't pull the trigger. $500-600 is a lot of money for an item that does only video and photo. Most Chinese knockoffs can't compare to the quality of GoPro 6 or 5.

That being said, there is a thread of the Yi Action camera under $200. Might be a good deal for casual users, like me.
Just a heads up, for action cams, only the Hero 6 and Yi 4K PLUS do 4K @ 60fps.
Jul 25, 2017
164 posts
83 upvotes
GoPro beats Bose are same things, company spend all the money on marketing not on product r&d, just buy much cheaper alternatives, I think most peole use action camera one or two times a year only, or even buy a $15 waterproof case for your phone on amazon, it can do same for you as gopro
Last edited by ccylyl on Jan 16th, 2018 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 28, 2009
70 posts
24 upvotes
Just in case auctionmaxx has new GoPro Hero 6 for $415 but there are only 2 in stock.
I was considering getting one for myself to use as a dash cam on my motorcycle since it is weatherproof. But there are lots of reviews (even on GoPro's site) mentioning overheating and frequent freezes of the camera that turned me away.
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2017
1311 posts
3416 upvotes
New Brunswick
kostik1977 wrote: Just in case auctionmaxx has new GoPro Hero 6 for $415 but there are only 2 in stock.
I was considering getting one for myself to use as a dash cam on my motorcycle since it is weatherproof. But there are lots of reviews (even on GoPro's site) mentioning overheating and frequent freezes of the camera that turned me away.
I'm also researching one for motorcycling and can't decide. Was considering the Session 5 since its form factor is better for helmet mounting, but you lose some nice features. I've heard good things about the Sony FDR-X3000 too (image quality and stabilization), but it's shaped like a older-style camcorder.

Is overheating as common a problem for the Hero 5? I'd say neither 4K/60fps nor slow-mo 1080/240fps are necessary for use as a dash cam, so the H5 would be a nice cheaper choice.
Jul 28, 2009
70 posts
24 upvotes
BranCracker wrote: I'm also researching one for motorcycling and can't decide. Was considering the Session 5 since its form factor is better for helmet mounting, but you lose some nice features. I've heard good things about the Sony FDR-X3000 too (image quality and stabilization), but it's shaped like a older-style camcorder.

Is overheating as common a problem for the Hero 5? I'd say neither 4K/60fps nor slow-mo 1080/240fps are necessary for use as a dash cam, so the H5 would be a nice cheaper choice.
H6 got GoPro's very own processor GP1, they've developed for the first time so it might be a source for the issues.
I didn't that many complaints about H5.
Speaking of which same auctionmaxx has NEW GOPRO HERO5 for $275.
And REFURB GOPRO HERO5 SESSION for $180.

I personally prefer mounting it on the bike to be able to plug it for charging on the longer rides.
Personally, I'll be waiting for a newer Garmin's VIRB camera. Their current VIRB Ultra 30 was on par with H5, and Garmin released their VIRB 360 much ahead of GoPro's Fusion. So I am very curios to see what their next camera will be able to do.
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2017
1311 posts
3416 upvotes
New Brunswick
kostik1977 wrote: H6 got GoPro's very own processor GP1, they've developed for the first time so it might be a source for the issues.
I didn't that many complaints about H5.
Speaking of which same auctionmaxx has NEW GOPRO HERO5 for $275.
And REFURB GOPRO HERO5 SESSION for $180.

I personally prefer mounting it on the bike to be able to plug it for charging on the longer rides.
Personally, I'll be waiting for a newer Garmin's VIRB camera. Their current VIRB Ultra 30 was on par with H5, and Garmin released their VIRB 360 much ahead of GoPro's Fusion. So I am very curios to see what their next camera will be able to do.
Not bad. Costco has the H5 with 2nd battery and dual charger for $400 (and their usual easy returns); not sure if that may be better.

I guess I'm going for the helmet mount just so the camera can point where I'm looking, independent of the bike.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15340 posts
9897 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Re: motorcycle, RFD way would be to use a Yi dashcam in the other thread for $60, add the 32GB Sandisk Endurance in a 3rd thread, both on Amazon.ca, then house it in a waterproof case with a quality attachment. The vid is just written over again and again until you need to extract something, quality isn't necessary.
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2017
1311 posts
3416 upvotes
New Brunswick
AncasterRFD wrote: Re: motorcycle, RFD way would be to use a Yi dashcam in the other thread for $60, add the 32GB Sandisk Endurance in a 3rd thread, both on Amazon.ca, then house it in a waterproof case with a quality attachment. The vid is just written over again and again until you need to extract something, quality isn't necessary.
Sure, but not all motorcycles have DC power outlets as standard. You'd be forced to look into add-ons and relay kits, which just adds to the overall time/cost.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15340 posts
9897 upvotes
Southern Ontario
ccylyl wrote: GoPro beats Bose are same things, company spend all the money on marketing not on product r&d, just buy much cheaper alternatives, I think most peole use action camera one or two times a year only, or even buy a $15 waterproof case for your phone on amazon, it can do same for you as gopro
Exactly, GoPro's have tremendous marketing but they're glitchy devices with poor battery life and software support.
Most people realize they're not doing extreme activities all the time and can get by with their personal phone in a rugged case. In fact, the latest iPhones look a lot better than Hero 6 indoors, 4K 60fps.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15340 posts
9897 upvotes
Southern Ontario
BranCracker wrote: Sure, but not all motorcycles have DC power outlets as standard. You'd be forced to look into add-ons and relay kits, which just adds to the overall time/cost.
That's very true, I'm a bit of a hacker and bike rider, I'd be willing to wire such a setup, I know most people wouldn't.
OT, I have a Yi dashcam in my truck and I just finished installing DIY amber hood lights, tapping into the DRL's, the light bar is also DIY although it came with a relay.

I hope Yi makes a 4K+ waterproof version, I'd buy that.