Art and Photography

GoPro Hero+ LCD HD vs GoPro Hero4 Silver?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 19th, 2016 8:11 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2012
1447 posts
320 upvotes
Vancouver

GoPro Hero+ LCD HD vs GoPro Hero4 Silver?

Is the GoPro Hero+ LCD HD good enough for traveling and taking really good videos on the fly? Or is the hero 4 silver the one I should be going for? (best bang for my buck?)
10 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2007
6606 posts
2244 upvotes
Caledon
SquirreI wrote: Is the GoPro Hero+ LCD HD good enough for traveling and taking really good videos on the fly? Or is the hero 4 silver the one I should be going for? (best bang for my buck?)
GoPro stopped FW / Software update for Hero3 and below .. FYI ..
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
15148 posts
6539 upvotes
Ottawa
these kinds of cameras are pretty good for capturing family events and moving scenic shots. Because they have extreme wide angle, you can just palm them in your hand as you are walking, following the action. It's less good if you want to capture detailed action like a performance or just capturing a static event.

I would definitely carry one on my vacation.

Gopro is not selling the LCD+ anymore, they are not supporting the low end market, so the Silver is the way to go. I would actually recommend going with one of the alternatives because the Gopros are just too expensive when there are both brand name options and non-brand name options that do the same or better features like image stabilization for less money
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2012
1447 posts
320 upvotes
Vancouver
warpdrive wrote: these kinds of cameras are pretty good for capturing family events and moving scenic shots. Because they have extreme wide angle, you can just palm them in your hand as you are walking, following the action. It's less good if you want to capture detailed action like a performance or just capturing a static event.

I would definitely carry one on my vacation.

Gopro is not selling the LCD+ anymore, they are not supporting the low end market, so the Silver is the way to go. I would actually recommend going with one of the alternatives because the Gopros are just too expensive when there are both brand name options and non-brand name options that do the same or better features like image stabilization for less money
Which alternatives are there?

I just bought a new camera in March, after my friend showed me his videos he took with his GoPro in the Philippines compared to me using my camera, man did I feel regret on not getting a GoPro instead...
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
15148 posts
6539 upvotes
Ottawa
SquirreI wrote: Which alternatives are there?

I just bought a new camera in March, after my friend showed me his videos he took with his GoPro in the Philippines compared to me using my camera, man did I feel regret on not getting a GoPro instead...
What camera did you buy? I would always take a good regular camera and an action cam on my vacation. A good regular camera is still useful because it doesn't have lens distortion like a go pro, and can take better still pictures.

I have a Sony action cam and the Go Pro. The main advantage of the go pro is the mounts, you can mount it on anything with all the aftermarket options. But the Sony I have looks just as good in video quality and was cheaper. With the Sony's stabilization, the videos are steady without needing extra processing. I paid half of what the Gopro cost.

The newer upcoming camera like the Olympus action cam is waterproof, supports 4K video, has advanced image stabilization, is waterproof and shockproof without needing a case, and is cheaper than Gopro Silver.

If you just want something cheap to capture action at the beach or during action oriented activities, there are tons of go pro clones that cost around $100-200 that have the same mount.

Gopro has realized that the market has caught up or surpassed with them in terms of hardware capability, and their sales are falling, so they will be beefing up their line with more included software. That's the only way they can compete in a crowded marketplace
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2012
1447 posts
320 upvotes
Vancouver
warpdrive wrote: What camera did you buy? I would always take a good regular camera and an action cam on my vacation. A good regular camera is still useful because it doesn't have lens distortion like a go pro, and can take better still pictures.

I have a Sony action cam and the Go Pro. The main advantage of the go pro is the mounts, you can mount it on anything with all the aftermarket options. But the Sony I have looks just as good in video quality and was cheaper. With the Sony's stabilization, the videos are steady without needing extra processing. I paid half of what the Gopro cost.

The newer upcoming camera like the Olympus action cam is waterproof, supports 4K video, has advanced image stabilization, is waterproof and shockproof without needing a case, and is cheaper than Gopro Silver.

If you just want something cheap to capture action at the beach or during action oriented activities, there are tons of go pro clones that cost around $100-200 that have the same mount.

Gopro has realized that the market has caught up or surpassed with them in terms of hardware capability, and their sales are falling, so they will be beefing up their line with more included software. That's the only way they can compete in a crowded marketplace
I bought the Nikon Coolpix S9900. I'm totally new at this whole photography thing, so i just use the auto mode for everything. Not really knowing what im doing lol.

The sony action cam looks gorgeous.

Thanks for this post. I'm planning to go to Japan this december and would like to take a lot of short video clips and put together a sweet video. I think I might go for that olympus action cam. GoPro mounts do seem like they could come in handy one day. I might look into gopro clones as well.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
15148 posts
6539 upvotes
Ottawa
yes, that Olympus camera seems pretty sweet with its swing out LCD, and all its features. I like my Sony for the price I paid, but it has no LCD so it's not very user friendly (need to pair with a phone for display) but it does the job well for video quality.

If I really did a lot of video, I'd definitely splurge for a DJI Osmo, the smoothness of the footage you can get out of that thing is incredible, for slightly more than the price of the GoPro Hero Black
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGhx63xNZcg
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
14348 posts
8221 upvotes
Southern Ontario
If you're gonna buy a GoPro, get a Lanparte gimbal, instant pro video.
May 5, 2016
425 posts
219 upvotes
Toronto
warpdrive wrote: yes, that Olympus camera seems pretty sweet with its swing out LCD, and all its features. I like my Sony for the price I paid, but it has no LCD so it's not very user friendly (need to pair with a phone for display) but it does the job well for video quality.
I assume you have the Sony AS200-V? Are there any reliability problems with the model? I've heard the a lot of Hero4s have some helicopter noise if Wifi is on while recording. Wanted a Hero4 silver but after seeing some footage with the AS200, I think i may pull the trigger on that model.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
15148 posts
6539 upvotes
Ottawa
Spectre26 wrote: I assume you have the Sony AS200
yeah I have the AS200 but then also got the 1000. It works great for casual events, but I'm no extreme action guy
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2004
8683 posts
572 upvotes
Toronto
My friend has the Hero+ LCD that I borrow sometimes. One thing to keep in mind is the built-in battery. You have to charge the GoPro, but the Hero4 Silver you can carry backup batteries.