Boxing Day 2016 Discussion

Gopro Hero Session with Floating Hand Grip & 16GB MicroSD Card - GOOD DEAL?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 5th, 2017 7:16 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 3, 2017
7 posts
1 upvote

Gopro Hero Session with Floating Hand Grip & 16GB MicroSD Card - GOOD DEAL?

As this is part of the boxing week sale, I am posting it here.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/go- ... def097en02

They have the Gopro Hero Session with Floating Hand Grip & 16GB MicroSD Card on sale at Bestbuy until the end of the day for $250. Is this a good deal? Debating...

I found a comparison (activeon hd camera) that is at 80$ http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/act ... 25070.aspx

Anyone have experience with action cameras?

Thanks
6 replies
Oct 31, 2002
375 posts
40 upvotes
Winnipeg
You might want to look at the Activeon CX Gold version. I read online that its a Gopro killer. Look it up.
Banned
Dec 23, 2016
260 posts
471 upvotes
techboss wrote: You might want to look at the Activeon CX Gold version. I read online that its a Gopro killer. Look it up.
Tbh, almost every one of these action cams with similar specs is a gopro killer now. Gopro has become so stagnant that these Chinese manufacturers are leap frogging over them in quality and pricing.

Their stock prices have hit record lows, their drone was a failure. The only thing they have going for them now is their name and brand recognition but that'll probably pass soon if they don't come up with something new.

If you don't care about the name, you can get a SJCAM5000 for the same price and get much better performance out of it
Oct 31, 2002
375 posts
40 upvotes
Winnipeg
prodrevio wrote: Tbh, almost every one of these action cams with similar specs is a gopro killer now. Gopro has become so stagnant that these Chinese manufacturers are leap frogging over them in quality and pricing.

Their stock prices have hit record lows, their drone was a failure. The only thing they have going for them now is their name and brand recognition but that'll probably pass soon if they don't come up with something new.

If you don't care about the name, you can get a SJCAM5000 for the same price and get much better performance out of it
I do hear good things about SJCCAM as well. However reading websites it appears that Activeon CX or CX Gold fits all of GoPro mounts.
Banned
Dec 23, 2016
260 posts
471 upvotes
techboss wrote: I do hear good things about SJCCAM as well. However reading websites it appears that Activeon CX or CX Gold fits all of GoPro mounts.
SJCAM does to I believe, and I'm not disagreeing with you about activeon (never heard of them personally).

Whatever way you go, you can save your self a lot of money and get the same/better performance whether it be SJCAM or activeon
Dec 20, 2016
40 posts
11 upvotes
Vancouver BC
I review action cams fairly regularly and there is a ton of misinformation and false specs floating around. The Activeon CX Gold cam shoots 1080p60 max and does not have optical stabilization so it isn't really a gopro killer... I also don't trust any smaller brand who doesn't say specifically what sensor/processor combo is in their cam. For $150 CDN or less you can get a cam with optical (gyro) stabilizer that shoots 2K video. It's much easier if you have a US PO Box since none of these sell on Amazon Canada (though in many cases you can import from China yourself at the expense of long shipping times and no easy returns)

Some examples include:
SooCoo C30: $65 usd, 2k video, 12MP Sony Sensor, gyro stabilization

Dazzne P2 Plus: $50 USD, 2k video. 4MP sensor so it's great for video but not good for stills. No stabilisation either. Cheapest cam I currently recommend.

Once you get into the $100 US territory you're looking at the SJ5000x Elite, the Gitup Git2 Pro, SJcam M20, all which have been tried and tested. The 5000x and Git2 for example can go for $100 USD on ******** and takes pretty great stills and video. I've owner both before. They attach to GoPro mounts fine.

Also keep in mind that anything under $200 USD will not be real 4K. That is the current threshold.

If you care about video quality I'd avoid buying random cameras off of Amazon at the moment even if they have positive reviews. A lot of people receive free samples for reviews and don't seem to know much about what they're talking about. Good resources for actual reviews are sites like Dashcamtalk, RCGroups, usually if you can't find a camera review on the it won't be worth your time and energy.

Good luck!
-Dreki, occasional YouTube tech reviewer and professional opinion-haver