Tags:
None
[OP]
May 28, 2012
92 posts
7 upvotes
ETOBICOKE

Got 6 month's notice for a lay off

My friend works fixing cars and he got this today, no written letter, just a meeting

...does this mean he does not get a severance?

what happens if he finds a job within the 6 months and quit?

the company does not have 2.5 million worth of employee payroll (from labour.gc.ca)...

and he's been there for 7 years....

thanks
14 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2010
1872 posts
459 upvotes
Companies can either give notice of dismissal or pay in lieu of notice (a severance package). This company chose the former, so he won't get a severance package. If he quits the job before the six months is up, he will stop getting paid once he quits.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2009
1469 posts
254 upvotes
Damn that sucks. 7 years is quite a commitment.
[OP]
May 28, 2012
92 posts
7 upvotes
ETOBICOKE
well he got an apprenticeship through it and they paid for his school but it does suck because you now realize how even your employer does not have your back
everyone is just there for business....

ah well
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1803 upvotes
I would say that was a decent move
I know it sucks and feel sorry
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2010
1903 posts
186 upvotes
At least the company provided 6 months of notice (giving you time to look for another position). Many companies kick you out the door and you will go unemployed.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2011
1021 posts
69 upvotes
Dieppe
maddydo wrote: well he got an apprenticeship through it and they paid for his school but it does suck because you now realize how even your employer does not have your back
everyone is just there for business....

ah well
Yeah, it sucks, but they did have his back. They paid his school and gave him a six month notice when they had to let him go.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2009
1469 posts
254 upvotes
Joelllle wrote: Yeah, it sucks, but they did have his back. They paid his school and gave him a six month notice when they had to let him go.
+1.

The company sounds organized and seems to keep excellent track of its finances. Many companies out there seem to be oblivious until they reach the panic zone and then just start firing people with no notice. I'd take 6 months notice over none. In fact, it sounds like the company truly appreciates your friend and is trying to make the layoff as amicable as possible (possible future opportunity to return).
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3217 upvotes
Calgary
maddydo wrote: My friend works fixing cars and he got this today, no written letter, just a meeting

...does this mean he does not get a severance?
"Severance" is merely pay in lieu of notice of a layoff. Otherwise the firm owes him nothing.
what happens if he finds a job within the 6 months and quit?
Then he'll have a different job.

The above responses are all correct -- there is nothing stopping an employer from merely giving notice, but allowing a worker to continue working until the notice has expired. So long as the notice is adequate, the obligation of notice is deemed to have been served, and the dismissal is not wrongful in any way.
TodayHello wrote: ...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
Dec 24, 2007
439 posts
26 upvotes
London
niroopg wrote: +1.

The company sounds organized and seems to keep excellent track of its finances. Many companies out there seem to be oblivious until they reach the panic zone and then just start firing people with no notice. I'd take 6 months notice over none. In fact, it sounds like the company truly appreciates your friend and is trying to make the layoff as amicable as possible (possible future opportunity to return).
+2

Your friend's employer sounds decent.
[OP]
May 28, 2012
92 posts
7 upvotes
ETOBICOKE
thanks everyone
his company doesn't have a 2.5 mill payroll so he was never entitled to a severance....
so the 6 months notice is actually decent

another question, if you've been with a company for 7 years, what is a reasonable notice if you want to quit and work for their competitor?
obviously you cannot give your notice before having the job actually secured ///
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2008
5334 posts
1984 upvotes
Winnipeg
He probably got notice because he is not an apprentice anymore and now they have to pay him the big bucks.
[OP]
May 28, 2012
92 posts
7 upvotes
ETOBICOKE
that is exactly it
they have too many techs and enough apprentices as it is
he's been paid an apprentice wage for almost a year since he was licensed as an A tech..

so i tell him maybe this is a good sign and an opportunity to make more money
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2008
5334 posts
1984 upvotes
Winnipeg
Sounds like they have been taking advantage of him, not paying him a tech wage for the last year. I would be going back to the employer for back wages.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2010
1903 posts
186 upvotes
maddydo wrote: thanks everyone
his company doesn't have a 2.5 mill payroll so he was never entitled to a severance....
so the 6 months notice is actually decent

another question, if you've been with a company for 7 years, what is a reasonable notice if you want to quit and work for their competitor?
obviously you cannot give your notice before having the job actually secured ///
Some people will tell you to look out for yourself and give 2 to 3 days of notice. 2 weeks of notice is quite reasonable. Again, the company might use their foot and kick you you out the door if they know you are going to work for a competitor. Your buddy is getting laid off in 6 months. So, they are ready and will expect your buddy to leave at any moment. It's even better because your buddy doesn't have to be sneaky looking for a job. Your buddy can be honest with the manager "can you be my reference? can I leave a bit early because I have a job interview?".