• Sep 9th, 2021 12:39 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2007
1603 posts
794 upvotes
GTA

Got a $80 photo radar speeding ticket for going 42km/h

Mississauga introduced photo radar at a number of locations this summer: https://www.insauga.com/photo-radar-beg ... ext-month/

I'm definitely against excessive speeding in residential areas, but to coincide with placing these photo radars in place, they simultaneously dropped the speed limit from 40km/h to 30km/h.

I just received a letter of offence in the mail that I was going 42 km/h and now have to pay an $80 fine. I've been driving on this road for over 20 years at a 40km/h speed limit. Now that it has dropped to 30km/h, it takes some adjustment.

I've been driving in Ontario for over 3 decades without so much as a parking or speeding ticket. This is my first. To me, this is just a money grab.
Last edited by kasm on Sep 4th, 2021 11:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
74 replies
Temp. Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1657 upvotes
Clarington, ON
It’s a grab yes. Pay the ticket and walk away.

It doesn’t go against your record.
Apr 25, 2018
164 posts
202 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
agree, money grab... it's tough for limits that low. I can't imagine what type of road actually justifies 30km/h...
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
3606 posts
3790 upvotes
GTA
There's nothing to fight. You were going faster than the posted speed limit. They won't care how long you've been driving on that road.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
7004 posts
3242 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Alligatorclip wrote: agree, money grab... it's tough for limits that low. I can't imagine what type of road actually justifies 30km/h...
School zones? Although can't recall any 30 km/h streets in our area.

In some jurisdictions school zone speeds are 25 km/h.

In our area they are 40 km/h but rarely observed... now getting photo speed cams so hopefully catch the speeders who are doing 60 km/h +
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
3370 posts
3350 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah its why these machines usually end up vandalized.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12052 posts
4367 upvotes
Toronto
It is a money grab and it is almost unavoidable when driving in Toronto now.

Just pay it and be careful next time you are at the same spot.

No one cares if you drive 30 yrs and get no speeding or parking ticket, it is not a excuse for defense or make you a better driver than others.

Just suck up the ticket and move on. Treat it as a donation to city to help fix the damn roads, you will feel better.
Last edited by MP3_SKY on Sep 4th, 2021 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
13206 posts
10087 upvotes
GTA, ON
Anyone who live in York Region (ONTARIO), be aware I've noticed all the main roads around schools have new speed limit signs that have gone up within the last couple of weeks. Any road that is in excess of 50kph (i.e. MAX 60), there is signage that now state that the MAX drops to 50 between the hours of 7am and 5pm between the months of Sept to June. Stay safe y'all.
Tis banana is IRIE

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2007
1603 posts
794 upvotes
GTA
I bring up my driving experience because I think it shows that I generally consider myself a good driver. I have kids and understand the need for safe driving in neighborhoods. Reducing the posted speed by 25% to 30km/h, immediately installing photo radar, charging $80 for going 42km/h is ridiculous to me. Usually, they would have extra signage to indicate an updated speed reduction, which they didn't do.

Anyways, I just sent them the cheque. If it reduces reckless drivers in the neighborhood, I'll do my part.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6816 posts
3800 upvotes
Mississauga
kasm wrote: Usually, they would have extra signage to indicate an updated speed reduction, which they didn't do.
Not sure where you got caught but around me, the school zones have been reduced from 40 km/h to 30 km/h and there have been brand new signs posted on the streets since July indicating the speed drop AND even warning that speed cameras are coming.

There have also been mobile signs all over Mississauga advertising the speed drop to 30 km/h in school zones as part of their "Vision Zero" plan.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2017
1051 posts
857 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
$80 wow, that's a bargain. I thought with inflation and supply chain issues the minimum ticket is $150.

Don't forget to tip your city council and photoradar operator.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2741 posts
2073 upvotes
Markham
kasm wrote: If it reduces reckless drivers in the neighborhood, I'll do my part.
I can guarantee you it will not.

I've been to places with speed cameras instituted for years, I still see aggressive drivers, drunk drivers, people who shouldn't be on the roads, etc. Oh and the speeding doesn't end either, they just slow down at the camera and then proceed to speed out of camera range. They have to warn you about the cameras there, which is why they fail.

This is simply a cash grab as you correctly noted. If they truly were serious about keeping your neighbourhood safe, instead of this camera they would then always have a officer patrolling the area. They can actually write proper tickets for reckless driving as the officer is much more versatile in judgement and ability to charge more crimes than a speed camera. If an officer sees a mild speeding offender but also a drunkard causing chaos at the speed limit, the officer will go after the drunk while the speed camera will ignore the drunk and ticket the mild speeder.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2007
1603 posts
794 upvotes
GTA
I think speed bumps would be more effective if they were truly trying to calm traffic.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
2937 posts
1433 upvotes
Mississauga
mrweather wrote: Not sure where you got caught but around me, the school zones have been reduced from 40 km/h to 30 km/h and there have been brand new signs posted on the streets since July indicating the speed drop AND even warning that speed cameras are coming.

There have also been mobile signs all over Mississauga advertising the speed drop to 30 km/h in school zones as part of their "Vision Zero" plan.
Yeah the signs are pretty hard to miss. They added even more signs than usual with the lower speed in my neighborhood.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2007
11629 posts
3460 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
40% over the posted speed limit?

If it is a 30km zone, I would think there was some risk reason, like maybe a playground zone.

I hope drivers will remember that school zones will be coming into effect soon. I hope that for children and drivers alike.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

Our house is on fire.” Greta Thunberg
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2018
1363 posts
844 upvotes
Toronto
chimaican wrote: Anyone who live in York Region (ONTARIO), be aware I've noticed all the main roads around schools have new speed limit signs that have gone up within the last couple of weeks. Any road that is in excess of 50kph (i.e. MAX 60), there is signage that now state that the MAX drops to 50 between the hours of 7am and 5pm between the months of Sept to June. Stay safe y'all.
Saw that as well... those roads are usually backed up in the morning so not sure if it will make it worse in the mornings/4-5pm.. Def a pain in the butt
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
9924 posts
3435 upvotes
Old news

Don't try and make sense of it

Follow speed limits

Pay it and move on
“...because most of what we say and do is not essential. If you can eliminate it, you'll have more time and more tranquility. Ask yourself at every moment, is this necessary…” -Marcus Aurelius
Deal Addict
May 28, 2007
1286 posts
523 upvotes
tehwegz wrote: $80 wow, that's a bargain. I thought with inflation and supply chain issues the minimum ticket is $150.

Don't forget to tip your city council and photoradar operator.
Maybe cheaper with the photo radar because you don't have to subsidize the cop's salary for writing out a ticket? Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
1467 posts
431 upvotes
45.467253°N, 75.5123…
RCML27 wrote: Maybe cheaper with the photo radar because you don't have to subsidize the cop's salary for writing out a ticket? Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
So what will traffic cops do now to earn their salary?
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2016
1164 posts
1046 upvotes
ON
Speed limit near our home has gone down from 40 to 30 and it’s a school zone. New speed limits were put up in the summer very prominently and last month I saw a sign installed saying speed camera coming soon. My guess was that it would be installed starting with the school openings. I had to change my route to and fro home because its only a matter of time before you fall into the trap Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Winking Eye

OP, likely you missed the warning signs because the city has done an excellent job in providing notice well in advance.
Isn't it great to live in the 21st century where deleting history has become more important than making it.