• Last Updated:
  • May 12th, 2021 1:40 pm
[OP]
Sep 28, 2006
425 posts
344 upvotes
Toronto

Got a Bird Nest on my Balcony

So I've got a bird's nest on my balcony. I don't use my balcony often but this time I opened the balcony door and noticed a nest on top of my balcony lighting.

The bird is extremely aggressive with the chirping when it sees me. It flies to the balcony railing and starts chriping away and some other family member comes.

What should I do? I want to grab a broom and just knock it down but afraid there might be eggs inside or even babies. Don't know what to do.
47 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
1708 posts
1025 upvotes
Toronto
Since you don't really use the balcony, let it be. You can remove the next in a couple of months, once the babies have flown away and the parents have probably abandoned the nest.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17694 posts
15164 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
lpin14 wrote: Since you don't really use the balcony, let it be. You can remove the next in a couple of months, once the babies have flown away and the parents have probably abandoned the nest.
This

Let it be

We’ve had this ourselves with our back deck pergola / deck & morning doves

It’s a bit of a hassle ... but it’s nature

Enjoy the view ... the chicks will be along in no time

And it won’t be long until they leave the nest ... and the whole family moves on

Consider yourself BLESSED ... cuz this doesn’t happen to everyone

Being given a front row seat. Enjoy it while you have it
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
1708 posts
1025 upvotes
Toronto
I had a robin build a next on a window ledge last year and saw 2 blue eggs. I was really looking forward to seeing the hatchlings, but something got to the eggs. Not sure if it was another bird or something else.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
5087 posts
4040 upvotes
lpin14 wrote: I had a robin build a next on a window ledge last year and saw 2 blue eggs. I was really looking forward to seeing the hatchlings, but something got to the eggs. Not sure if it was another bird or something else.
I wonder why they build them so close to the ground where they're easily accessible by predators.

I have found multiple birds' nest around my property at the ground level and my neighbour told me he destroyed one that was in his patio (and now they have all sorts of contraptions to keep them away (they're not nature people and go to extremes to keep nature out of the outdoors). I've also read few stories on here too about birds' nest...definitely not uncommon.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10614 posts
5909 upvotes
Paris
lpin14 wrote: Since you don't really use the balcony, let it be. You can remove the next in a couple of months, once the babies have flown away and the parents have probably abandoned the nest.
I think Robin’s only run about 3 weeks from where you are to gone. They grow up fast!
[OP]
Sep 28, 2006
425 posts
344 upvotes
Toronto
Im not sure what kind of bird this is will post a picture if I can tomorrow.

Its 11pm here and I opened the balcony door the bird was back getting angry from a distance. Its loud waking the street up.

I was mainly concerned if having all these birds around the house would damage the property. My neighbor said he saw one of the birds get inside one of the vent flaps outside my house.

I'm fine with letting it be. But since I'm working from home and with the weather getting warmer, I was looking forward to working from the balcony lol
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2001
1099 posts
429 upvotes
Toronto
You're lucky. I had one build inside my BBQ. But yes, wait until they hatch and remove
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
25613 posts
4749 upvotes
Thorkell wrote: Im not sure what kind of bird this is will post a picture if I can tomorrow.

Its 11pm here and I opened the balcony door the bird was back getting angry from a distance. Its loud waking the street up.

I was mainly concerned if having all these birds around the house would damage the property. My neighbor said he saw one of the birds get inside one of the vent flaps outside my house.

I'm fine with letting it be. But since I'm working from home and with the weather getting warmer, I was looking forward to working from the balcony lol
Go outside in the morning and see if there's eggs in the nest. If not, destroy the nest. If there's eggs in it, just let it be until they fly away. It really doesn't take long
Aug 29, 2019
914 posts
413 upvotes
Sounds like a robin. Leave it alone please. They will be gone in a month. A robin will not hurt you. They are dive bombing you to warn you to stay away, but even so they do no hurt people or pets from doing so. It just might be a bit of a nuisance for month but please leave it be.
Aug 29, 2019
914 posts
413 upvotes
Shaner wrote: Go outside in the morning and see if there's eggs in the nest. If not, destroy the nest. If there's eggs in it, just let it be until they fly away. It really doesn't take long
Why would you destroy the nest? Its on top of a light fixture and not harming the house whatsoever.
Aug 29, 2019
914 posts
413 upvotes
Thorkell wrote: Im not sure what kind of bird this is will post a picture if I can tomorrow.

The type of bird that builds houses on light fixtures is NOT the type of bird that builds nest inside vents or chimneys. It is most likely a robin which is a platform or tree nester, NOT a cavity nester. They are also territorial so you wont have a bunch of robins nesting around your home, it will just be that 1 family, for a month and then they move on. You will probably see the babies hopping around the lawn in about 1 month.
Aug 29, 2019
914 posts
413 upvotes
Jerico wrote: I think Robin’s only run about 3 weeks from where you are to gone. They grow up fast!
A little over
1 month

It takes 1-2 weeks to build the nest and lay the eggs.
2 weeks to hatch the eggs.
2 weeks from nestling to fledgling.
Aug 29, 2019
914 posts
413 upvotes
hierophant wrote: I wonder why they build them so close to the ground where they're easily accessible by predators.

I have found multiple birds' nest around my property at the ground level and my neighbour told me he destroyed one that was in his patio (and now they have all sorts of contraptions to keep them away (they're not nature people and go to extremes to keep nature out of the outdoors). I've also read few stories on here too about birds' nest...definitely not uncommon.
Predators are less likely to come really close to areas of your house with high human activity. That's why front and back door porch lights near main doors of the house are fairly popular places for robins to build a nest.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
5983 posts
3535 upvotes
Ottawa
Katedontbreak wrote: Predators are less likely to come really close to areas of your house with high human activity. That's why front and back door porch lights near main doors of the house are fairly popular places for robins to build a nest.
Yeah. We have a Robin's nest on a ledge at the side of our house as I write this and usually have one or two a year. It's a great spot for them - protected from rain and predators alike. Robins start early and usually get in two nests each season. We also have a (much smaller) sparrow nest on one of the light fixtures attached to the front of the house. Again, a perfect spot for protection from rain and predators.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
25613 posts
4749 upvotes
Katedontbreak wrote: Why would you destroy the nest? Its on top of a light fixture and not harming the house whatsoever.
I personally wouldn't. I live out in the country and have birds nests all around my house. I personally like having baby birds around. For whatever reason though, the OP is concerned by having a nest nearby, to the point he's exaggerating how loud and aggressive this bird is, so he may as well get rid of it.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
25613 posts
4749 upvotes
Katedontbreak wrote: The type of bird that builds houses on light fixtures is NOT the type of bird that builds nest inside vents or chimneys. It is most likely a robin which is a platform or tree nester, NOT a cavity nester. They are also territorial so you wont have a bunch of robins nesting around your home, it will just be that 1 family, for a month and then they move on. You will probably see the babies hopping around the lawn in about 1 month.
I typically have about 4 or 5 robins nests around my house all at the same time. 2 of them are within 10 feet of each other. I've never noticed them fighting. Not saying they aren't territorial, I'm sure they are, just in this case they seem to have accepted each other. It's been 10 years of it too, so it's obviously been different birds most years as robins only live 2 years or so I think
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
1708 posts
1025 upvotes
Toronto
Shaner wrote: Go outside in the morning and see if there's eggs in the nest. If not, destroy the nest. If there's eggs in it, just let it be until they fly away. It really doesn't take long
Please do not destroy the nest. The birds will have to build another one and that may cause all kinds of issues. Just wait a month or so and they'll be gone.

Cats are killing lots of birds so they need all the help they can get
Last edited by lpin14 on May 2nd, 2021 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2013
1708 posts
1025 upvotes
Toronto
hierophant wrote: I wonder why they build them so close to the ground where they're easily accessible by predators.

It was on a higher window ledge about 10 ft off the ground. I was surprised the eggs were taken. Was also surprised at how well the nest was built.

Other than birds, I generally would prefer not to have any other wildlife around my house (including bunnies) as they really can become pests. However, I realize that through development their habitats are being destroyed, humans actions provide them with a food source and removing them is only a short term fix. I'm hoping their natural predators can do the job for me and give hawksca thumbs up whenever I see them flying around.

Grackles are the most defensive about their territory or nests and I've been dive bombed quite a few times by them.