[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 23, 2004
12361 posts
146232 upvotes
Montreal

Got the Canon T6i, so now what?

Hi there,

I finally pull the trigger and redeem all my useless Air Miles points and got the Canon T6i and I already got 3 packs of 2x32GB SDHC card from the super sale the last time...
amazon-lexar-633x-sdxc-2-pack-2x32gb-17 ... a-1990501/

Beside that, anything else I should get? What kind of case I should buy? I don't know...

By the way, it is my first DSLR camera...

Ju Leon...
21 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2004
1481 posts
121 upvotes
Definitely not the accessory package. You're better off using the money to get the 50mm f1.8 or 40mm f2.8 so you can play with depth of field (blurred effect) and take better pictures than you can with the kit lens.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2010
1458 posts
801 upvotes
If I were you, I'll get a bag to carry it and that's pretty much all for now. Get the smallest and lightest bag that can fit your camera. Oh and an affordable tripod.

Don't spend on lenses and flashes before you had some time with your camera already. What if you don't like your camera? What if it's very bulky and even with a small carrying bag, it's tedious to have it with you? Use it for a few weeks and then, tell us what you liked about it so we can suggest you things that fit your need. Like if you find you really enjoy taking landscape more than anything else, than we'll suggest a lens that fit that purpose.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4662 posts
2785 upvotes
Spend your money on a trip! Go somewhere, shoot something!
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
14356 posts
8236 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Watch a course like John Greengo's Fundamentals of Digital Photography. It's like acquiring a set of carpentry tools and your first time woodworking, you might want some pro instruction, avoid picking bad up habits, and become efficient at it from the start, as you learn the right way.
He'll cover all the buttons and dials, lens choice, composition, how to hold, tripod use, just about everything for a beginner.
Mar 29, 2015
77 posts
37 upvotes
Brossard, QC
Take a class. Some are at colleges or adult eduction places. Learn composition, how shutter speed, aperature and focal legnths work. You need to learn law of thirds and how to fill the frame etc.

I'd highly recommend a tripod of some sort But it really depends on what you want to do and how you want to do it!

Is it for photos or video?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 23, 2004
12361 posts
146232 upvotes
Montreal
Hi there,

Mostly for photos. One day, when I can afford it, take a trip and just take pictures. Maybe I'll make it a hobby out of it.

I will need to get a case for it. I'm not bring it around without some way to protect it...

Ju Leon...
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2008
1527 posts
124 upvotes
Toronto
bhrm wrote: Spend your money on a trip! Go somewhere, shoot something!
+1, go out and take some photos. For camera bag, just get a basic 1 body 2 lens bag $20-30 from amazon or winners unless you are looking for certain style bag.
You can also buy or borrow a photography bible from library or online. It should save you at least $100 from the introduction courses from school.
Oct 27, 2014
554 posts
1065 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Throw away the kit lens and buy a Canon EF-S 24mm pancake lens
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Revi ... -Lens.aspx

which is much sharper than the kit lens and much lighter to carry.

Then get a telephoto lens Canon EF 70-200 f/4 L
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/4 ... 4L_IS.html
really sharp images and reasonable price for a L lens

Then if you like, get another prime lens that's between 24 and 70, like the canon plastic 50mm f1.8. For a cropped sensor, 50mm is pretty telephoto but the wide aperture is great to have at night.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2005
1076 posts
61 upvotes
Yep, 24mm 2.8 and 50mm 1.8 STM lenses make a great pair on crop Canons.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2007
1818 posts
1115 upvotes
I advise not to buy lenses, flashes and tripods until you have some shooting experience with what you have and start noticing that you are lacking something. Canon's bag is way overpriced. One option (to grow into) is a "sling" DSLR bag from COSTCO (like this: http://www.costco.ca/National-Geographi ... 13231.html). In store it can be quite cheap (less than 40$). You'll need at least one more spare battery, skip the overpriced Canon ones, get a cheap knockoff from amazon or ebay.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 23, 2004
12361 posts
146232 upvotes
Montreal
Hi there,

*lol* I got it in a day after I order it. Now that I have it, I'm not sure anymore. *lol* The cool thing is Made in Japan. :D

Ju Leon...
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2013
1064 posts
724 upvotes
Montr
inferno_gn wrote: Hi there,

I finally pull the trigger and redeem all my useless Air Miles points and got the Canon T6i and I already got 3 packs of 2x32GB SDHC card from the super sale the last time...
amazon-lexar-633x-sdxc-2-pack-2x32gb-17 ... a-1990501/

Beside that, anything else I should get? What kind of case I should buy? I don't know...

By the way, it is my first DSLR camera...

Ju Leon...
Just curious, how many Air Miles points to get all that you got ?

For me those point are the most useless ones. I missed the Shell gas cards deal in 2010 and since then I dont know what to do with my 3800 pts. I want to dump them on something and get rid of all things related to them
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
14356 posts
8236 upvotes
Southern Ontario

*lol* I got it in a day after I order it. Now that I have it, I'm not sure anymore. *lol* The cool thing is Made in Japan. :D

Ju Leon...
Not everyone is into photography, especially with a manual camera, that's ok.
Sell it BNIB and maximize your Air Miles Rewards into cash.

Pick the one with the right lens and go from there to set a comfortable reduced used price.
http://www.photoprice.ca/search/?s=t6i+kit
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 23, 2004
12361 posts
146232 upvotes
Montreal
Hi there,

9800 Air Miles...

It's not used yet, it's still brand new. *lol* I haven't even open the thing...

Ju Leon...
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2013
1064 posts
724 upvotes
Montr
If you have a family (ie. wife+kids :) ), then use that camera to take pictures of your family.

If not, then I'd suggest you sell the camera ASAP and get that money and spend it on something you're sure to enjoy. These days those big cameras are really for hardcore photography lovers only. They are hard to carry around and complicated for a beginner, and there are other smaller cameras which can take very good pictures and you can carry around without looking like a geek
Jan 17, 2010
950 posts
169 upvotes
Toronto

Ju Leon...
Not so sure about what? If you changed your mind, just sell it while you can still (honestly) say it's brand new.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 23, 2004
12361 posts
146232 upvotes
Montreal
Hi there,

Yeah, how much do you think I should sell it for? *lol*

Ju Leon...