[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13390 posts
2647 upvotes
Toronto

Got into an accident with a Turo vehicle

Hi everyone,

Today I was in an accident. Other vehicle was a Turo. It’s a pretty standard accident. I was driving straight down my lane. The other lane was closed with pylons. A vehicle decides to go into into the closed lane where there was a small opening to enter the cemetery to overtake me. She drove straight into my lane with her 450 horses and clipped me at my front right corner.

Didn’t provide me with insurance or DL so I called the cops. Cops arrive and she refuses to move her vehicle and ends up in an argument with the cops saying they are all racists and not giving her side of the story. Traffic was building up hard. Eventually she moved it. Had to sit there for 3 hours while the police sorted everything out with her.

Got the insurance and it shows a 2005 Pontiac sunfire and not the chevrolet. She’s a G2 driver with a high risk insurance company. Pafco? Anyways, got the report, she got charged with two of something. Not sure what. Anyone care to guess what the two charges are?

Called my insurance company and they said the insurance is not matching up with that vehicle, might have to pay a deductible in that case if they can’t find the insurance policy.

I checked Turo and found the vehicle with the matching plates.

How does Turo insurance work in this case? Do I pay a deductible still? I overheard the lady declining accident coverage on her rental. Does this mean it has no insurance? I’m lost. My front bumper and passenger headlight is toast. $1000 deductible is steep. There is about 4K frontal damage
26 replies
Apr 25, 2018
183 posts
215 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I'd probably contact Turo... They must have proof of insurance on file?
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22219 posts
3051 upvotes
The claim would normally come from DCPD coverage, which you likely have no deductible for. Failing this, the driver maybe considered identified but uninsured and you'd be subject to your collision deductible.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13390 posts
2647 upvotes
Toronto
Alligatorclip wrote: I'd probably contact Turo... They must have proof of insurance on file?
When I tried to checkout that same vehicle on Turo, it said the insurance is provided by Intact, but it lets me choose to decline coverage.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13390 posts
2647 upvotes
Toronto
Kasakato wrote: The claim would normally come from DCPD coverage, which you likely have no deductible for. Failing this, the driver maybe considered identified but uninsured and you'd be subject to your collision deductible.
So is it same to assume that you can rent out a vehicle on Turo with no policy and that the renter must purchase one if they choose?
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9952 upvotes
Edmonton
trixstar wrote: Hi everyone,

Today I was in an accident. Other vehicle was a Turo. It’s a pretty standard accident. I was driving straight down my lane. The other lane was closed with pylons. A vehicle decides to go into into the closed lane where there was a small opening to enter the cemetery to overtake me. She drove straight into my lane with her 450 horses and clipped me at my front right corner.

Didn’t provide me with insurance or DL so I called the cops. Cops arrive and she refuses to move her vehicle and ends up in an argument with the cops saying they are all racists and not giving her side of the story. Traffic was building up hard. Eventually she moved it. Had to sit there for 3 hours while the police sorted everything out with her.

Got the insurance and it shows a 2005 Pontiac sunfire and not the chevrolet. She’s a G2 driver with a high risk insurance company. Pafco? Anyways, got the report, she got charged with two of something. Not sure what. Anyone care to guess what the two charges are?

Called my insurance company and they said the insurance is not matching up with that vehicle, might have to pay a deductible in that case if they can’t find the insurance policy.

I checked Turo and found the vehicle with the matching plates.

How does Turo insurance work in this case? Do I pay a deductible still? I overheard the lady declining accident coverage on her rental. Does this mean it has no insurance? I’m lost. My front bumper and passenger headlight is toast. $1000 deductible is steep. There is about 4K frontal damage
If you're not at fault (and it doesn't seem like you should be), then you shouldn't have to pay your deductible. I would fight your insurance company on that if they try to pass it off on you. You may have to take her to small claims court if you run into a wall there, but that would be a last resort. First you'd have to be able to find her, then win your case, then finally collect. And none of those are a slam-dunk. She's likely got more experience with dodging taking accountability for her actions than you have experience in making someone pay.

C
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2014
1041 posts
866 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Good story. I'm sure it will work out for you, as long as your insurance company says you're not at fault.
Please respond
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13390 posts
2647 upvotes
Toronto
My Viofo A119 V2 dashcam failed. It had intermittent powering on issues so I have no footage. Damn. It was quite a show today
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
4074 posts
2348 upvotes
Toronto, ON
trixstar wrote: My Viofo A119 V2 dashcam failed. It had intermittent powering on issues so I have no footage. Damn. It was quite a show today
Isn't Turo used to rent other people's vehicle? What makes this different then let's say Uber when you hire a drop off? In both instances the vehicle should have insurance and some soft of coverage, no?

I mean, for Turo to allow you to decline insurance on a vehicle that is owned and operated by an individual is absurd. But looks like the other vehicle is a muscle car, so the driver is definitely in for a bumpy ride!
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
9140 posts
2142 upvotes
The problem as I understand it is if the other driver is found to not have insurance on this vehicle, then this will be a claim on the policy of the victim since insurance has paid someone out. More than likely the original owner of this vehicle does have insurance and a claim will need to be made on their policy since they have allowed a third party to drive their vehicle. Most policies have a clause for a third party driver. So the OP will need to get as much info from Turo, and then contact the original owner for their insurance info.

If the original owner won't give their insurance info, contact the police and see if they can assist in getting this info via the collision center since this will be a new accident claim against the original owner due to it being their vehicle with authorized use.
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22219 posts
3051 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote: If you're not at fault (and it doesn't seem like you should be), then you shouldn't have to pay your deductible. I would fight your insurance company on that if they try to pass it off on you. You may have to take her to small claims court if you run into a wall there, but that would be a last resort. First you'd have to be able to find her, then win your case, then finally collect. And none of those are a slam-dunk. She's likely got more experience with dodging taking accountability for her actions than you have experience in making someone pay.

C
We operate on a no fault basis. If the OP has a collision deductible, he would have to pay it.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13390 posts
2647 upvotes
Toronto
Kasakato wrote: We operate on a no fault basis. If the OP has a collision deductible, he would have to pay it.
I have a direct compensation which is $0. But it only applies if the other vehicle has valid insurance.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22219 posts
3051 upvotes
trixstar wrote: So is it same to assume that you can rent out a vehicle on Turo with no policy and that the renter must purchase one if they choose?
The owners insurance would not be valid during the rental period as Ontario prohibits third party rentals. Turo will have fleet insurance that your insurer would claim against.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13390 posts
2647 upvotes
Toronto
Kasakato wrote: The owners insurance would not be valid during the rental period as Ontario prohibits third party rentals. Turo will have fleet insurance that your insurer would claim against.

Ahhh that makes perfect sense! Thank you. I’ve sent my Adjuster the Turo vehicle listing that I found earlier so she could get in touch with them.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22219 posts
3051 upvotes
trixstar wrote: Ahhh that makes perfect sense! Thank you. I’ve sent my Adjuster the Turo vehicle listing that I found earlier so she could get in touch with them.
I took a look and it appears Intact underwriters the Turo policy. As long as it was a legitimate rental, it should fall into a DCPD claim. Hope your car repair goes well, that's another headache!
Dec 28, 2017
402 posts
175 upvotes
Burlington
Did you update the firmware on your dashcam? Last update was Nov 2019. If you havnt update.. u will have that issue. I have the same dashcam as you.. learned it the hard way.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13390 posts
2647 upvotes
Toronto
ayufan wrote: Did you update the firmware on your dashcam? Last update was Nov 2019. If you havnt update.. u will have that issue. I have the same dashcam as you.. learned it the hard way.
No I never updated it. I got it when it just came out. I didn’t know the update could fix the issue. Did you have the same issue as me and it was fixed by the update?
Deal Guru
Oct 7, 2010
12610 posts
3734 upvotes
What a lousy driver that person is. High risk insurance renting a turo. Do turo even accept high risk driver? That is a joke right?

The insurance doesnt match up and OP you have to pay? That's ridiculous.

Should had taken her license and face shot and post it all over social media.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13390 posts
2647 upvotes
Toronto
spike1128 wrote: What a lousy driver that person is. High risk insurance renting a turo. Do turo even accept high risk driver? That is a joke right?

The insurance doesnt match up and OP you have to pay? That's ridiculous.

Should had taken her license and face shot and post it all over social media.
She has some behavioural concerns judging by the way she was resisting and acting. She also told the tow truck driver she had some steroid injections before the accident. A nurse at my work said it could cause behaviours If interacting with other medications. Anyhow, she has my address and everything so I would much rather keep this on the down low haha. She was not normal.
Dec 28, 2017
402 posts
175 upvotes
Burlington
trixstar wrote: No I never updated it. I got it when it just came out. I didn’t know the update could fix the issue. Did you have the same issue as me and it was fixed by the update?
Yup.. had the same issue, bought it 4 years ago.. easy fix.. update it and you are good