Careers

Got a job offer BUT need to do get pre employment physical+ (edit Fitness) test done, and I dont think....

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 20th, 2020 10:29 pm
[OP]
Nov 11, 2012
6 posts

Got a job offer BUT need to do get pre employment physical+ (edit Fitness) test done, and I dont think....

I work in trades (structural steel manufacturing department). I was laid off from my company in Oct of last year after working there for 20 years. Today finally i got a job interview over the phone and I got the job but i need to do a pee test and a physical test at Sure****. I think i got a big problem that i didnt even think about. Five years I tore my ACL in the right knee and never got the surgery done. Mainly because I was 35 years old and doctors told me you really need acl if you are planning getting back to skiing, soccer, basketball ect. I was done with all that and my knee was stable and that's why i didn't go forward with it. I was able to get back to work with out any setbacks or limitations, back to my normal job routine. Now i got this new job offer after looking at all the questions Sure**** is asking and all the tests they do and read few threads about others is similar situation I am pretty sure that I am screwed and won't be cleared "fit for duty" and there fore won't get this job.

I am supposed to make an appointment and get that done and if all good i will start the new job. I don't want lie about the injury and pretty sure they would find out during testing anyways and that would be even worse. Do I have any options, it this real deal breaker, or am I over reacting? I am pretty sure other employers would be asking for same test before hire. Should I book an appointment and see what happens. are other potential employers going to see this test if they speak with Sure****? Does this mean my career in trades is over, even if i was to get the surgery done and get my acl fixed now?

Sorry for lots of questions but it doesn't look to good for me short term or long term.
Last edited by alexz28 on Jan 6th, 2021 8:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.
11 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2017
1806 posts
1819 upvotes
OP, when do they physicals they don’t test for your knee stability. They will do blood and urine tests, check your heart, breathing and weight. First they won’t find out about it. Even if you told them why would you think a torn acl would be a deal breaker? It won’t be a deal breaker, it is not a major health issue.

You will be fine! You are worried about nothing.
Oct 5, 2019
237 posts
237 upvotes
I generally try to ask myself, is there anything I can do about it. If so, do that, if not then it is what it is, it’s out of my control. In this case it sounds like whatever they test for it’s out of your control anyways. So why stress about it? Do the test and see how it turns out. Stressing about it doesn’t sound like it’ll do you any good, except to cause unnecessary stress.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 15, 2005
5711 posts
1283 upvotes
A trades job is making you do a physical fitness test?
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
2029 posts
1296 upvotes
Durham
Ziggy007 wrote: A trades job is making you do a physical fitness test?
Why not? Especially if he getting back into structural steel. Does not sound like a light weight job and these companies have timelines to meet.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2017
1806 posts
1819 upvotes
I think you should be able to pass despite the torn acl. It’s not a major injury. When do you have the physical?
[OP]
Nov 11, 2012
6 posts
ProductGuy wrote: I think you should be able to pass despite the torn acl. It’s not a major injury. When do you have the physical?
tomorrow 3 pm. All the tests that need to be done its supposed to take up to 2 hours, thats even if i make it that far.
Nov 24, 2019
123 posts
80 upvotes
Ive had something very similiar done, also at a steel company for which I am in a trades role. I showed up to their medical department and they did heart tests, took blood, mask fitting, eye test, lung test etc. Standard things. Then I was required to go to their doctor for their physical part. The doc made me bend down to touch my toes and move my arms to the side. Fit. First part took a couple hours, the 2nd part took 1 minute.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37380 posts
23445 upvotes
Center of Universe
alexz28 wrote: tomorrow 3 pm. All the tests that need to be done its supposed to take up to 2 hours, thats even if i make it that far.
Congrats?
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3865 upvotes
I think you are overthinking it. Just go and do the fitness, you probably won't even have an issue. And you have nothing to lose vs giving up. So just go for it!
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2014
5133 posts
6844 upvotes
Toronto, ON
They aren't hiring cosmonauts. You'll be fine OP
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6397 posts
5761 upvotes
alexz28 wrote: tomorrow 3 pm. All the tests that need to be done its supposed to take up to 2 hours, thats even if i make it that far.
How did it go?