Careers

Got Job Offer, Couldn't Start Because of Covid-19. Do I Qualify for CERB?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 12th, 2020 4:16 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Nov 24, 2013
7 posts
4 upvotes
Mississauga

Got Job Offer, Couldn't Start Because of Covid-19. Do I Qualify for CERB?

Hey guys,

First time posting here - so my apologies if I'm doing something wrong.

I had two job offers that I worked really hard for. I was suppose to begin training on March 23rd for one of the jobs, but just a few days before, Covid-19 hit hard and everyone had to work from home. Because of this, my training never happened and I have pretty much lost the offer since. I was unemployed in 2020 before this offer, so I spent the first few months applying non-stop to jobs. I was super happy that I finally landed a job and was extremely looking forward to moving forward with my career :(

Do I quality for CERB if COVID-19 took my job away, in this case? I wasn't "technically 100% employed, maybe?" since I didn't really have a first day with the company. I just want to make sure the government doesn't come fighting me because I didn't qualify.

Thanks guys!
15 replies
Sep 16, 2017
346 posts
235 upvotes
just apply, they are approving everyone and checking later. if you get asked, just say your work term start was delayed, "you lost a contract" which prohibited you from earnign income.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2016
1348 posts
1500 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
I'm interested about this as well.
The Biggest of the Big has arrived!
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2016
1010 posts
863 upvotes
ON
I believe the CERB qualification is that you must have earned a minimum of $5,000 during the preceding 12 months.

Someone who has filled in the CERB application can maybe confirm if they are asking this question during the application process.

From the website:

Note: if you are subsequently determined to be ineligible, you must repay the benefit.
Isn't it great to live in the 21st century where deleting history has become more important than making it.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
7089 posts
1786 upvotes
Toronto
Holystone wrote: I believe the CERB qualification is that you must have earned a minimum of $5,000 during the preceding 12 months.

Someone who has filled in the CERB application can maybe confirm if they are asking this question during the application process.

From the website:

Note: if you are subsequently determined to be ineligible, you must repay the benefit.
Repaying is one thing, but if you really does not have any savings. Surely you will bite the bullet and think later how to repay. Am I correct?
[OP]
Nov 24, 2013
7 posts
4 upvotes
Mississauga
Holystone wrote: I believe the CERB qualification is that you must have earned a minimum of $5,000 during the preceding 12 months.

From the website:

Yeah, I had full time jobs in 2019, so I def made over $5,000. So I should be safe, right?
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
3597 posts
220 upvotes
Toronto
you also need to meet the following criteria

-you have stopped or will stop working due to reasons related to COVID-19

-You have not quit your job voluntarily

i dont think you meet the criteria but just apply anyways. worst case you just return the money. it's interest free :D
Mar 20, 2006
440 posts
189 upvotes
Here is the criteria for CERB:
https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benef ... ation.html
Looking at the last criteria and the second one, did you stop working your job for 14 days or more due to COVID? It doesn’t look like as you did not even start the job. I don’t mean to be judgemental but please don’t go by some greedy advise above to just apply and get the money since the govt takes back the amount plus tax on it.

The only time I would say to just apply even if you don’t qualify is when you can’t survive without it. By the way, there is a direct number for CERB people on the website and I called it once and got a hold of someone without much effort. It is not the same number that is for EI people.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2016
1828 posts
2627 upvotes
DarenH763 wrote: Hey guys,

First time posting here - so my apologies if I'm doing something wrong.

I had two job offers that I worked really hard for. I was suppose to begin training on March 23rd for one of the jobs, but just a few days before, Covid-19 hit hard and everyone had to work from home. Because of this, my training never happened and I have pretty much lost the offer
Thanks guys!
This question was covered on local talk radio during a live question period w/ a labor lawyer last week.
IIRC, If you signed the offer then if the company rescinded it... they are liable for damages...
I'd seriously considering getting legal advise if its possible for you... especially if you left a job to join company X.

Also, unless its a hands on job (manufacturing, warehouse etc) then most training can be done remotely.

Good luck mate.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
7089 posts
1786 upvotes
Toronto
KravenHead wrote: This question was covered on local talk radio during a live question period w/ a labor lawyer last week.
IIRC, If you signed the offer then if the company rescinded it... they are liable for damages...
I'd seriously considering getting legal advise if its possible for you... especially if you left a job to join company X.

Also, unless its a hands on job (manufacturing, warehouse etc) then most training can be done remotely.

Good luck mate.
in Op's case nil, lifted from his post," I was unemployed in 2020 before this offer, so I spent the first few months applying non-stop to jobs."
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2016
1828 posts
2627 upvotes
cgtlky wrote: in Op's case nil, lifted from his post," I was unemployed in 2020 before this offer, so I spent the first few months applying non-stop to jobs."
That helps thanks. Unless the poster's province has a specific law regarding this type of situation am 99.98% certain that if the chap did sign and submit his offer letter then the employer can't rescind it unless the applicant mislead them during the application phase. Unfortunately for the employer covid19 is not an excuse (sucks for them no doubt but its's the law).
Am curious to know when the offer was signed...the further into March the better.

Despite being caught flat footed the World knew Covid19 was coming...
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2016
1828 posts
2627 upvotes
clseea wrote: There should definitely be more threads covering the same topic
He posted here looking for advice on a legit question... Given whats going on its not the time to be snarky!
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2003
1928 posts
302 upvotes
Toronto
I believe the answer is no:
Can you apply for the CERB if you were looking for work and did not have a job before COVID-19?

If you were unemployed but were actively looking for work, you are not eligible for the CERB. The benefit only applies to employed or self-employed individuals who “ceased” work due to COVID-19 and earned at least $5,000 from work in 2019, or the last 12 months before the individual’s CERB application.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2011
9614 posts
2018 upvotes
Edmonton
KravenHead wrote: He posted here looking for advice on a legit question... Given whats going on its not the time to be snarky!
Lol snarky
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11583 posts
3850 upvotes
Toronto
zero_ wrote: I believe the answer is no:
+1

and I wouldn't encourage people just to apply anywaye and see later if the money needs to be returned.
Now, they are doing people a big favorite to simplified the process, so people in needed can get money quick to pay for their necessities, not for people to abuse the system and get a free loan.

I'm sure there are more consequences than just returning the money.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015