Automotive

Got new plates and had to pay $132 in fines?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 20th, 2016 1:43 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1382 posts
356 upvotes
Toronto

Got new plates and had to pay $132 in fines?

I recently purchased a work van that required commercial/ black plates. The last commercial vehicle I owned was a pickup truck that I sold 6 years ago. So between owning these two vehicles I had regular passenger/blue plates.
How was I able to renew my cars plates even last year without getting dinged with the two 66 dollar fines that were on my old trucks plates?
I am 100% sure than when i sold my pickup and licensed the car that I replaced the truck with, that there were no tickets on the truck.
So why did I get dinged 6 years later ?
This was paid at the dealership during a lease buyout.
4 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21190 posts
10651 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
I guess the commercial and regular plating system are probably held on different databases that don't talk to each other.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1930 posts
706 upvotes
Kitchener
Seems like a better question to ask the person you were standing in front of at the MTO before you paid the $132.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1382 posts
356 upvotes
Toronto
peelhic wrote: Seems like a better question to ask the person you were standing in front of at the MTO before you paid the $132.
Sorry I should have explained in more detail. This was paid during a lease buyout at a dealership.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2011
1003 posts
531 upvotes
HUNTSVILLE
Is it possible that your plates went back into circulation and someone accrued tickets against them? I know it's not supposed to happen, but to me personally: I sold an old car of mine, there were still 6 months left on the stickers and I didn't need the plates anymore so I took them back to Service Ontario and got the refund. A year later I got letters from 407 that I owed for usage on the plates I had returned. Never once had I traveled the 407 and the usage came AFTER I returned the plates to the MTO. Had some serious hoops to jump through but eventually 407 agreed that it wasn't me.

I don't know how common putting plates back out is, but I can tell you it DID happen to mine.