Automotive

Got seat-belt ticket [section: 106(3)(b)] without any license (don't have any)

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 7th, 2011 5:58 pm
[OP]
Newbie
Jun 6, 2011
10 posts
2 upvotes

Got seat-belt ticket [section: 106(3)(b)] without any license (don't have any)

This is interesting, here is the scenario:

My sister, who is 19, came from the US to visit us here in Toronto. Last night, we were coming back home at around 1am and we were stopped by the police for R.I.D.E program (randomly checks vehicle for drunk drivers or so).
Unfortunately she did not have her seatbelt on, but she didn't have any ID-cards with her. But, she was ticketed under 106 (3) (b) without any license number in the yellow ticket, instead the yellow offense ticket has our home address and vehicle plate number.

Ticket is for $200 + $40 fees! = $240 - I wouldn't go about saying that they could have let her go with a warning as she's just a visitor here.

So, my question is, how is this ticket going to be processed? I mean they don't have her license number, she does not live in canada either. So, it would be very hard to come back and fight for it.
Have you heard any case like this? What should be done! Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks
30 replies
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 6, 2010
14115 posts
8525 upvotes
Toronto
batmanhero wrote: This is interesting, here is the scenario:

My sister, who is 19, came from the US to visit us here in Toronto. Last night, we were coming back home at around 1am and we were stopped by the police for R.I.D.E program (randomly checks vehicle for drunk drivers or so).
Unfortunately she did not have her seatbelt on, but she didn't have any ID-cards with her. But, she was ticketed under 106 (3) (b) without any license number in the yellow ticket, instead the yellow offense ticket has our home address and vehicle plate number.

Ticket is for $200 + $40 fees! = $240 - I wouldn't go about saying that they could have let her go with a warning as she's just a visitor here.

So, my question is, how is this ticket going to be processed? I mean they don't have her license number, she does not live in canada either. So, it would be very hard to come back and fight for it.
Have you heard any case like this? What should be done! Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks


Selt belt tickets are the worse, very hard to win, but fight it. The ticket is marked on the plate of the registered owner. You will have to pay it or fight it. All occupants are required to wear a selt belt by law. A ticket doesn't require a license in this senario because the driver is responsible for them. Hence, you.
Member
User avatar
Jul 7, 2010
421 posts
11 upvotes
koffey wrote: Selt belt tickets are the worse, very hard to win, but fight it. The ticket is marked on the plate of the registered owner. You will have to pay it or fight it. All occupants are required to wear a selt belt by law. A ticket doesn't require a license in this senario because the driver is responsible for them. Hence, you.
I don't understand why fighting it. She had to have the seatbelt on and she had not. Am I missing something?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 18, 2004
2773 posts
54 upvotes
I thought RIDE can not give you any tickets not related to drinking and driving? It would be an illegal stop, because random checkpoints are not allowed in Canada. RIDE is just and exception to the rule solely for drinking and driving enforcement. Am I wrong on this?
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 6, 2010
14115 posts
8525 upvotes
Toronto
MrBriggs wrote: I don't understand why fighting it. She had to have the seatbelt on and she had not. Am I missing something?
Always fight it, regardless. I fought a seatbelt once and won and I wasn't wearing it. Besides, keeps my tax dollars at work ;)
chickenbones wrote: I thought RIDE can not give you any tickets not related to drinking and driving? It would be an illegal stop, because random checkpoints are not allowed in Canada. RIDE is just and exception to the rule solely for drinking and driving enforcement. Am I wrong on this?
Wrong, they are cops and can give you tickets for any reason related to traffic offenses. If it wasn't for so many flashing lights, I'm sure you would see a laser on a tripod right before the RIDE.
Member
User avatar
Jul 7, 2010
421 posts
11 upvotes
koffey wrote: Always fight it, regardless. I fought a seatbelt once and won and I wasn't wearing it. Besides, keeps my tax dollars at work ;)
Yeah, I know, but why fight it if you're wrong? Shouldn't you be wearing the seatbelt?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 18, 2004
2773 posts
54 upvotes
MrBriggs wrote: Yeah, I know, but why fight it if you're wrong? Shouldn't you be wearing the seatbelt?

He can get the fine lowered.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 6, 2010
14115 posts
8525 upvotes
Toronto
MrBriggs wrote: Yeah, I know, but why fight it if you're wrong? Shouldn't you be wearing the seatbelt?

Lower fine, or some other percs, but still, as I said, won't be easy to fight this one, caught red handed. I actually had mine tossed out in court because the officer couldn't confirm that I wasn't wearing a seatbelt.
Member
User avatar
Jul 7, 2010
421 posts
11 upvotes
koffey wrote: Lower fine, or some other percs, but still, as I said, won't be easy to fight this one, caught red handed. I actually had mine tossed out in court because the officer couldn't confirm that I wasn't wearing a seatbelt.
Were you stopped and caught red-handed on yours?
[OP]
Newbie
Jun 6, 2011
10 posts
2 upvotes
MrBriggs wrote: Yeah, I know, but why fight it if you're wrong? Shouldn't you be wearing the seatbelt?

Yes, that was a mistake, she was at the back seat. Usually people are more relaxed at the back seat and they tend to have less seat belts on compared to front seat (at least from my observation, 100% of time people at front seat have seat belt on, and around 40% time at back seat, but I might be wrong)

Anyway, so, that means I have to go to the court, instead of her? - I'll try to upload the scanned ticket sometime soon.


Here is the ticket (with some info blurred) - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2676779/ticket- ... icense.JPG
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 6, 2010
14115 posts
8525 upvotes
Toronto
MrBriggs wrote: Were you stopped and caught red-handed on yours?
I was travelling north, the cop was south, seltbelt was off at the time, officer chased, it was about 8am during January. And it was off at the time that the officer approached my window. Off scotch free.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1803 upvotes
koffey wrote: These are NON-FATAL errors and still count. Is her name on the ticket?

what do you mean? :-0
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 6, 2010
14115 posts
8525 upvotes
Toronto
vero95 wrote: what do you mean? :-0

They can make mistakes on the ticket and you will still be charged, these mistakes are often resolved during proceedings. If there is no name on the ticket at all, that can be tossed out. But, typos are ok, they used to be errors that would toss out your ticket, but not many more.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)