Got Shipped an Open Box Shed with Missing Parts from Lowes

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 11th, 2021 10:54 am
[OP]
Feb 14, 2013
80 posts
18 upvotes

Got Shipped an Open Box Shed with Missing Parts from Lowes

Bought a supposedly brand new shed from Lowes.ca and was shipped one that was opened. Called the store that shipped it and the guy said he'd give 10% off. Opened it up and it was missing door handles, wall connectors, and windows. Called them back and the guy said it looks like they shipped us a parted out shed, that they had no more in stock and that it'd take atleast 20 days for another one. We ended up speaking to a manager and the manager said they had another parted out shed at the store and we could come in to find our parts.

We make the 30 min drive, got them to take down the other parted out shed, and thank god they had the pieces we needed.

We are pretty upset since we bought a new shed and paid $80 for shipping and had to go through the hassle to come down to the store to find our missing pieces. We explain this to the manager and ask for an additional discount. The guy doesn't want to budge, but ends up giving us an additional $50 off.

Now the Shed plus delivery and taxes is about $900. With 10% off of the shed cost and the $50 off. We are getting about 150$ off. But the thing is, we basically turned their two parted out sheds into a sale they otherwise wouldn't have made. Also, we went through the hassle of going out of our way to go down to get our pieces. This ordeal took half a day, driving time, waiting/talking to the manager, and getting our missing pieces for the shed. Now that the shed is built, one of the doors is bent and there is a slight opening where a bit of rain can get in.

I explained the first two points to the manager but he said they would just order the missing parts in and/or exchange the missing pieces between the sheds themselves. I found this hard to believe because essentially the two boxes are open and would have to be discounted anyways. We also spoke to the floor associate who helped us take the parts shed down, he said in these cases the sheds would just be used for parts and/or sent back to the manufacturer. This seemed like standard practice to us, rather than them going into them and finding missing parts to repackage themselves.

We hesitantly agreed to take the parts and the measly $50 because we had already built a $400 foundation for this exact model shed.

But now I'm thinking maybe we can get a better discount since it's only been 3 days (Aug 6, Friday) and after considering all the facts, it seems we got the short end of the stick. Do we have any recourse? Or should we just take the $150 discount and live with that flimsy door.
20210806_102053.jpg
20210806_102116.jpg
21 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
26219 posts
23269 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
StudentoftheGame wrote: But now I'm thinking maybe we can get a better discount since it's only been 3 days (Aug 6, Friday) and after considering all the facts, it seems we got the short end of the stick. Do we have any recourse? Or should we just take the $150 discount and live with that flimsy door.
I would find an executive contact at Lowes HQ(*) and tell them what you've told us.

Emphasize that:
1. They shouldn't sell, let alone ship, open box/return merchandise without first informing the customer and getting their consent.
2. Even if they get consent for 1. it remains the stores responsibility to ensure that all parts are there and are in good condition. You're not their quality control department.
3. Even if they do 1. and 2. but it turns out there are still issues with the product, it's their responsibility to make things right and to compensate the customer for the inconvenience.

State clearly what you expect Lowes to do for you, e.g. get you a brand new shed ASAP, compensate you with $nnn for all the inconvenience, whatever it is that would restore your faith in Lowes.

(*)
Canada: https://www.lowes.ca/about/corporate-information and https://lowescanada.ca/en/news/a-messag ... wes-canada
US: https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/lowes/
veni, vidi, Visa
May 15, 2019
358 posts
366 upvotes
GWN
https://corporate.lowes.com/who-we-are/ ... d%20Canada.

I second that. Send a message to the top and chances are it will be fixed to your satisfaction, if not, notify the media, including social media.

Had an issue with HP printers and the rebate. After a few months, I sent an Email to the CEO of HP and the rebate was issued.

Had an issue with Hyundai's New car warranty. Bought the new car from dealer in Dec 2017, found out 1 year later that the 5 year warranty started Sept 2016. After no resolution from dealer (as they said that it was not their fault), contacted Hyundai's President. Long story short, they could not adjust the start time but changed the warranty to 7 years from Sept 2016. I should have got 5 years warranty (expiry Dec 2022) but received 7 years warranty (expiry Sept 2023).

Had an issue with Carrytel trying to charge me for work not done and lying about it. They claimed to enter my home to move a line between floors when it couldn't have been done because it was the beginning of the Pandemic and we were all home. I asked them, how did they enter then? and I asked for their notes (they were not available). Problem was resolved after I contacted the President of Rogers.
[OP]
Feb 14, 2013
80 posts
18 upvotes
Thank you to both of you! I did make a BBB complaint a few days ago and they sent a msg to LOWES HQ this morning. But because of the max word count, I couldn't capture our full ordeal.

Do you think we should contact HQ via phone and email to explain the full ordeal too?
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
26219 posts
23269 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
StudentoftheGame wrote: Do you think we should contact HQ via phone and email to explain the full ordeal too?
Yes.

If you phone, call the main number and ask to be transferred to Tony Hurst's office. You'll probably get to speak with a senior customer service person who reports to him. Tell them what you've told us. Stay calm. Leave out the emotion (e.g. "measly" $50.) Tell them how disappointed you are with Lowes. Let them respond with a solution. If it's not at least what you expect be ready to tell them what it is you expect them to do.

Like @SnowyDumpling I've done this sort of thing before with other companies. With few exceptions (Toyota Canada being the most glaring) I've always been treated fairly and usually got a better resolution than I expected.

Nothing gets a store manager's attention more than a call from the CEO's office :twisted:
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2761 posts
1314 upvotes
Toronto
Can you at least take the door from their floor model (the one where you took the parts from)?
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
[OP]
Feb 14, 2013
80 posts
18 upvotes
ds2chan wrote: Can you at least take the door from their floor model (the one where you took the parts from)?
I contemplated this, but I'd have to drive back down there 30 mins, strap it on top of my SUV since it's about 6 feet high and 2 feet wide. Also, take apart the old door and put in this door. More headache than I would like.

My ideal outcome would be atleast 50% off the ticket price and they deliver that door to me and install it. The latter part is probably not gonna happen, but I would'nt mind 50% off and living with the door.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
16753 posts
11950 upvotes
Toronto
StudentoftheGame wrote: I contemplated this, but I'd have to drive back down there 30 mins, strap it on top of my SUV since it's about 6 feet high and 2 feet wide. Also, take apart the old door and put in this door. More headache than I would like.

My ideal outcome would be atleast 50% off the ticket price and they deliver that door to me and install it. The latter part is probably not gonna happen, but I would'nt mind 50% off and living with the door.
Hate to break it to you, but your expectations are unrealistic.

I'm guessing you will get a Lowes gift card in some amount for your troubles.

You should have just returned the original one the minute you saw open box/missing parts.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 13, 2010
6086 posts
7506 upvotes
GTA
StudentoftheGame wrote: I contemplated this, but I'd have to drive back down there 30 mins, strap it on top of my SUV since it's about 6 feet high and 2 feet wide. Also, take apart the old door and put in this door. More headache than I would like.

I doubt that they will give you 50% off. That door is going to bother you every time you see it whereas the 30 min drive, loading and installation of the other door will be forgotten about a short time after it's done.
Jul 23, 2010
942 posts
601 upvotes
Toronto
So they knowingly shipped out a opened package when you ordered new. Basically asking you to do parts check and come in to pick out the missing parts after you spend nearly 1k? May want to ask Lowes if they want the pants on or off or when’s your next shift because that’s a ridiculous waste of time.

Anyways I would get the replacement door. Warping parts can happen for sheds may not be entirely Lowes fault on that one. Actually I was shopping for a mid sized one last month and I could have been you. I went with Costco because I didn’t want those troubles and I know Costco is reliable.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
18004 posts
12712 upvotes
Markham
Your mistake was first accepting the "you can come and check the other parted out box" without first negotiating a discount to do that.

At that time if you didn't get a reasonable discount for doing more work, I would've just ask them to come pick it up and refund your money.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
[OP]
Feb 14, 2013
80 posts
18 upvotes
I fixed the door with some velcro. Not worth the hassle for me to go get another door. I can also install a hasp for extra measure. No biggie for me.

It's more the principle of going back and fourth and putting in extra work.

I don't think 50% off is an unreasonable ask for the troubles. How else would they have selled two parted out sheds? They more than likely would have sent it back to the manufacturer and took a lost.

As for accepting the open box, my hands were tied as I had built a foundation for this specific shed and this was the only one in the city availiable. If they had another one they could deliver at the promised time or even 1, 2, shit even 5 days, I'd accept that and tell em to take it back in a heartbeat. The wait time they gave was 20 days. I got only so much time to plan on working on the shed and organizing my goods. Summers almost over folks.
[OP]
Feb 14, 2013
80 posts
18 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: Your mistake was first accepting the "you can come and check the other parted out box" without first negotiating a discount to do that.

At that time if you didn't get a reasonable discount for doing more work, I would've just ask them to come pick it up and refund your money.
Assistant manager hung up before I could finish my sentence. This guy was sleazy as hell. Trust me I wanted to say if I came down you need to compensate me.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
26219 posts
23269 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
StudentoftheGame wrote: As for accepting the open box, my hands were tied as I had built a foundation for this specific shed and this was the only one in the city availiable. If they had another one they could deliver at the promised time or even 1, 2, shit even 5 days, I'd accept that and tell em to take it back in a heartbeat. The wait time they gave was 20 days. I got only so much time to plan on working on the shed and organizing my goods. Summers almost over folks.
This is why you need to escalate. The local store will look locally for inventory. They probably won't look too hard since then they're stuck with two frankensteins they can't sell. OTOH HQ can initiate a chain-wide search. If there's any stock in Canada (and maybe also in the US) they have the means to get it to you quickly.

Example: I once bought a monitor on sale from Staples. It turned out to be defective. When I brought it back to the store they said it was a clearance item and they had no more stock. All they could offer me was a refund or an inferior monitor at the same price. I reluctanti accepted the refund. I the sent a polite email to HQ expressing my disappointment with the experience. A day or two later I got a phone call from HQ. They apologized, said they found the same monitor in Calgary and asked if I'd be willing to wait a few more days for it to make its way to Ontario. I said OK. They put the order through, I got the monitor I wanted--and because it was shipped from AB, saved another 8% on PST.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Jun 13, 2010
6086 posts
7506 upvotes
GTA
StudentoftheGame wrote: I fixed the door with some velcro. Not worth the hassle for me to go get another door. I can also install a hasp for extra measure. No biggie for me.

It's more the principle of going back and fourth and putting in extra work.

I don't think 50% off is an unreasonable ask for the troubles. How else would they have selled two parted out sheds? They more than likely would have sent it back to the manufacturer and took a lost.

As for accepting the open box, my hands were tied as I had built a foundation for this specific shed and this was the only one in the city availiable. If they had another one they could deliver at the promised time or even 1, 2, shit even 5 days, I'd accept that and tell em to take it back in a heartbeat. The wait time they gave was 20 days. I got only so much time to plan on working on the shed and organizing my goods. Summers almost over folks.
Why would you build a foundation for a shed you don't have in your possession. It could have been OOS by the time you ordered it and you would be left with no shed at all which very nearly happened.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
4381 posts
3228 upvotes
Edmonton
StudentoftheGame wrote: Bought a supposedly brand new shed from Lowes.ca and was shipped one that was opened. Called the store that shipped it and the guy said he'd give 10% off. Opened it up and it was missing door handles, wall connectors, and windows. Called them back and the guy said it looks like they shipped us a parted out shed, that they had no more in stock and that it'd take atleast 20 days for another one. We ended up speaking to a manager and the manager said they had another parted out shed at the store and we could come in to find our parts.

We make the 30 min drive, got them to take down the other parted out shed, and thank god they had the pieces we needed.

We are pretty upset since we bought a new shed and paid $80 for shipping and had to go through the hassle to come down to the store to find our missing pieces. We explain this to the manager and ask for an additional discount. The guy doesn't want to budge, but ends up giving us an additional $50 off.

Now the Shed plus delivery and taxes is about $900. With 10% off of the shed cost and the $50 off. We are getting about 150$ off. But the thing is, we basically turned their two parted out sheds into a sale they otherwise wouldn't have made. Also, we went through the hassle of going out of our way to go down to get our pieces. This ordeal took half a day, driving time, waiting/talking to the manager, and getting our missing pieces for the shed. Now that the shed is built, one of the doors is bent and there is a slight opening where a bit of rain can get in.

I explained the first two points to the manager but he said they would just order the missing parts in and/or exchange the missing pieces between the sheds themselves. I found this hard to believe because essentially the two boxes are open and would have to be discounted anyways. We also spoke to the floor associate who helped us take the parts shed down, he said in these cases the sheds would just be used for parts and/or sent back to the manufacturer. This seemed like standard practice to us, rather than them going into them and finding missing parts to repackage themselves.

We hesitantly agreed to take the parts and the measly $50 because we had already built a $400 foundation for this exact model shed.

But now I'm thinking maybe we can get a better discount since it's only been 3 days (Aug 6, Friday) and after considering all the facts, it seems we got the short end of the stick. Do we have any recourse? Or should we just take the $150 discount and live with that flimsy door.

20210806_102053.jpg
20210806_102116.jpg
You sound like one of those ransom guys holding someone hostage, getting money and then going back for more. You got $50 and 10% off. Just get the replacement door and be done with it.

Had my own problems with Lowe’s, essentially trying to get them to honour their “no hassle’ price match. I just boycotted Lowe’s. Their “managers” don’t give a hoot.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
4381 posts
3228 upvotes
Edmonton
StudentoftheGame wrote: Thank you to both of you! I did make a BBB complaint a few days ago and they sent a msg to LOWES HQ this morning. But because of the max word count, I couldn't capture our full ordeal.

Do you think we should contact HQ via phone and email to explain the full ordeal too?
Overkill! You made a BBB complaint. It will get to the right person. They will probably give you something like a gift card for all your whining.
[OP]
Feb 14, 2013
80 posts
18 upvotes
tew wrote: Why would you build a foundation for a shed you don't have in your possession. It could have been OOS by the time you ordered it and you would be left with no shed at all which very nearly happened.
Better said once after it's done eh. I don't think its so uncommon to build a foundation for a shed you think you are going to get.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 13, 2010
6086 posts
7506 upvotes
GTA
StudentoftheGame wrote: Better said once after it's done eh. I don't think its so uncommon to build a foundation for a shed you think you are going to get.
I think it is uncommon and you should know for certain not think you can get an item before making a 'no going back now' commitment. That's not good planning especially this late in the season for a very specific seasonal item. Lowe's definitely shouldn't have sent you an open item from the store when you ordered new. It's completely unacceptable. They should have shipped you a new one from their warehouse since none were available locally but with a 3 week shipping time frame you wouldn't have received it yet.
[OP]
Feb 14, 2013
80 posts
18 upvotes
tew wrote: I think it is uncommon and you should know for certain not think you can get an item before making a 'no going back now' commitment. That's not good planning especially this late in the season for a very specific seasonal item. Lowe's definitely shouldn't have sent you an open item from the store when you ordered new. It's completely unacceptable. They should have shipped you a new one from their warehouse since none were available locally but with a 3 week shipping time frame you wouldn't have received it yet.
I never thought I would recieve a damaged and open box with missing pieces when I buy brand new. Sure it might have been hasty to build a foundation, but I was thinking more in line of this being pro-active. Get the foundation ready, stain on, etc for my shed. It takes time and effort to build stuff, espicially if your day job isn't a handyman.

Anyhow, what I did in advance shouldn't change their mess up. If they offered 10% right off the bat, an apology for the mess up, and offered to send me a new one, I'd likely wait the 20 days.

But there was no offer, no apology, nothing. I had to ask for everything. Even when I first called and told them to take it back, the guy said "but we were told to send it like that". He also already knew which order I was talking about since he confirmed my name without me having to tell him. They knowingly sent me an open/parted out shed. This is wrong.

When we learned there was missing parts, the shed pieces were already in my back yard. Shits annoying to move solo. Imagine 5 to 7 ft pieces of plastic moving from the front of your house to the back, about 20 times. It's not so simple to put it all back in the box either. Like I said in my first post, my hands were tied.

The follow up with the manager was worst. When escalated, the guy said the manager would call us. Never did. We had to call back to get a hold of the mgr. Waiting in queue and finally got to speak to him. The line cut off mid way we were explaining the situation, we waited 30 mins, the manager never called back and he knew our contact details. We had to call back again. He offered us to go down there and look for our missing pieces in the other parted out shed. I said how about you get one of your employees and check if that parted out shed has our specific pieces, so I don't waste my time coming down there if it turns out the parts weren't there. He was not agreeable to this...

Shit was horrible.