Computers & Electronics

Got some sengled elements smart lights do i need an actual element hub as well?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 24th, 2018 9:23 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
2927 posts
368 upvotes
Mississauga

Got some sengled elements smart lights do i need an actual element hub as well?

Is it possible to eliminate the middle man here and connect the lights to google home or perhaps harmony without this? lol :)
14 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
2927 posts
368 upvotes
Mississauga
I am getting the error "could not update the setting. please check your connection at the last step below from this reddit thread.

https://www.reddit.com/r/googlehome/com ... thout_hub/

Step 1: Download and install the Sengled Element app, follow in-app instructions or instructions at https://support.sengled.com/hc/en-us/ca ... 87-Element to add hubs and bulbs to the Element app. Make sure you can control the bulbs from this app first.
Step 2: Power on Google Device.
Step 3: Download and install the Google Home mobile app.
Step 4: Connect your mobile device to the same Wi-Fi network as your Google Home device.
Step 5: Open the Google Home app. The App should detect your Google Home device. Follow the app's instruction or >visit: https://support.google.com/googlehome/a ... 9485?hl=en to add Google Home device.
Step 6: From the top left corner of the home screen, tap 'Menu' and navigate to 'Home Control' tab. Tap the plus sign in the lower right corner and select 'Sengled Home' from the list of partners.
Step 7: Input your Sengled app account credentials when prompted.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2005
1666 posts
234 upvotes
Mississauga
U need a hub either wink, smartthings or sengled own hub no other way around that. The bulbs connect by zigbee thats why a hub is needed that has zigbee support to be able to connect to the bulb. Then you could link your wink, smartthings or sengled account to google home to be able to control the bulbs by voice
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
2927 posts
368 upvotes
Mississauga
Is there a best option for a hub? Is there a good option so ee don't need a hub for everything?

What about a harmony through Wi-Fi?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
2927 posts
368 upvotes
Mississauga
Can I buy a Z-Wave hub for this?
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2005
1666 posts
234 upvotes
Mississauga
Get either a wink or smartthings then down the line you can more compatible smart home devices. I got my used wink for $40 on kijiji. You could try out ebay as well. Based on your budget I believe smartthings is better choice as it has more compatible smart devices.
dreaderus wrote:
Jan 20th, 2018 2:36 am
Can I buy a Z-Wave hub for this?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
2927 posts
368 upvotes
Mississauga
I can't use the harmony logitech hub for this purpose?
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2005
1666 posts
234 upvotes
Mississauga
Nope unless you get a harmony hub extender, which in my opinion ain't worth because I believe it has no google home or echo integration. As i said earlier the bulbs you bought are connected by z-wave, therefore you would need a z-wave hub. If it was a wifi bulb then a hub wouldn't be required, then it could be connected to your router and controlled by an app or even by harmony hub. The sengled element bulbs aren't wifi, they are z-wave. Two different protocols. You will need a z-wave hub to get the smart features no way around that.
dreaderus wrote:
Jan 21st, 2018 1:30 pm
I can't use the harmony logitech hub for this purpose?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
2927 posts
368 upvotes
Mississauga
I can use the harmony with Google Home.

If the fan says i need a wink hub, can other hubs also be used or would it only be wink?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
2927 posts
368 upvotes
Mississauga
anyone have a good overall hub reco?
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2007
1401 posts
572 upvotes
Cambridge
dreaderus wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2018 9:25 am
anyone have a good overall hub reco?
I think the general consensus is that the SmartThings hub is the best.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
2927 posts
368 upvotes
Mississauga
if my ceiling fan is wink compatible can i use a smartthings?
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2004
3921 posts
690 upvotes
dreaderus wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2018 11:38 am
if my ceiling fan is wink compatible can i use a smartthings?
Most likely, search the Smartthings forums for your fan name. I have a couple wink fans working with Smartthings