Art and Photography

Got a Tamron 150-600mm G2 EF, but body is too old (T5i). What should I get?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 5th, 2021 3:40 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 16, 2011
5195 posts
7605 upvotes
Burnaby, BC

Got a Tamron 150-600mm G2 EF, but body is too old (T5i). What should I get?

Hey, thanks for your time. I got a Tamron 150-600mm G2 EF for getting into wildlife, and all my current lenses are EF-mount, so I don't know what body to get. The EOS RP, the 90D, M6 II? I don't have the budget for an R5/R6 because I just bought the Tamron.
17 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20543 posts
13939 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Can you return the Tamron? Why?

It might be a good time to rethink your entire ecosystem.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 16, 2011
5195 posts
7605 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
craftsman wrote: Can you return the Tamron? Why?

It might be a good time to rethink your entire ecosystem.
Yeah, I can return the Tamron but why? I should sell a lens or two, yeah:

Canon 50mm f1.8 STM
Canon 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM
Sigma 17-50mm f2.8
Tamron 70-210mm f4
Tamron 150-600mm
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20543 posts
13939 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Nikhilvoid wrote: Yeah, I can return the Tamron but why? I should sell a lens or two, yeah:

Canon 50mm f1.8 STM
Canon 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM
Sigma 17-50mm f2.8
Tamron 70-210mm f4
Tamron 150-600mm
Because if you are going to get a new body, you may want to see what else in terms of bodies are available that you might want to get. Switching bodies is an ideal time to take stock of what's out there.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 16, 2011
5195 posts
7605 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
craftsman wrote: Because if you are going to get a new body, you may want to see what else in terms of bodies are available that you might want to get. Switching bodies is an ideal time to take stock of what's out there.
Yeah, I was thinking of a Fringer EF-EZ adapter and a Nikon Z5. Or a Z6? But the cost of the body+adapter puts the cost of the new body at 2k. I can get a new EOS RP for 1k.
Feb 14, 2020
57 posts
66 upvotes
Nikhilvoid wrote: Yeah, I was thinking of a Fringer EF-EZ adapter and a Nikon Z5. Or a Z6? But the cost of the Body+Adapter puts the cost of the new body at 2k. I can get a new EOS RP for 1k.
Not Pro or an Amateur, been doing photography on and off for over 5 years now.

I recently upgraded from a T6i to EOS RP Body from Henry's two weeks ago.
Open Box (925+ taxes)
Basic EF-RF adaptor(bought separately) as well so that I could still use my EF lenses, and I am not happy with it at all.

The general consensus I am getting is that the RF lenses outperform EF lenses.

Pro's:
The body is super light weight,
Very responsive to the Touch
High ISO range

Cons:
when you add the adaptor, and \add some of the heavier lenses (i.e. a sigma 24-70) without a tripod it is front heavy.
Does not seem to be handling ISO, Aperture & Shutter speed that well in Auto - been trying to fiddle around with the manual settings and its a lot of work
The battery on the EOSRP - is just not as good as it was with my T6i. for comparison (200-500 photos)
There is definitely a longer learning curve
RF lenses especially primes or even zooms are so expensive

so my suggestion would be to rent, or borrow someone else's camera and play around with it an hour before dropping the actual cash.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 16, 2011
5195 posts
7605 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
puzokumar wrote:
Cons:
when you add the adaptor, and \add some of the heavier lenses (i.e. a sigma 24-70) without a tripod it is front heavy.
Does not seem to be handling ISO, Aperture & Shutter speed that well in Auto - been trying to fiddle around with the manual settings and its a lot of work
The battery on the EOSRP - is just not as good as it was with my T6i. for comparison (200-500 photos)

so my suggestion would be to rent, or borrow someone else's camera and play around with it an hour before dropping the actual cash.
Thanks for the detailed answer, I'm leaning towards the 90d or M6 ii or even a 7d Mark ii, or a x-t30 with an adapter. Because I want to shoot more wildlife and apsc gives me the extra range without having to crop.

But the Z5/RP is still so tempting for all round usage. Should I get the RP bundle with the 24—105mm stm?

The front heavy issue I am getting used to working around now, but it is a pain:
Images
  • upload.jpg
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
6802 posts
3170 upvotes
Germany
Nikhilvoid wrote: Hey, thanks for your time. I got a Tamron 150-600mm G2 EF for getting into wildlife, and all my current lenses are EF-mount, so I don't know what body to get. The EOS RP, the 90D, M6 II? I don't have the budget for an R5/R6 because I just bought the Tamron.
What are your goals? Any modern camera is fine for perched birds, but you're going to want something faster for BiF. A few suggestions off the top of my head that can reliably use EF lenses:

-Canon EOS R
-Canon EOS M6 II
-Canon 90D
-Canon 7D II
-Sony A6400/A6600
-Sony A6300/A6500

You could use the EOS RP, but you would have to accept that the frame rate, viewfinder lag and slower AF system are going to give you a lower hit rate than the above. Third parties have also recently released Canon EF to Nikon Z AF adapters, but I'm not sure how good the autofocus reliability is (I ordered one to test out). If they end up being good, then that opens up the Z5, Z6 and Z50 at the price points you mentioned. 

As for balance concerns, I cannot remember if the Tamron lens is internally zooming, but even if it is, you want it on a monopod and/or gimbal. There's just too much momentum when panning, even with the stabilisers.

Mathieu Gasquet is a good source for BiF related camera comparisons: https://mirrorlesscomparison.com/best/m ... in-flight/
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2009
3672 posts
1206 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
puzokumar wrote: Not Pro or an Amateur, been doing photography on and off for over 5 years now.

I recently upgraded from a T6i to EOS RP Body from Henry's two weeks ago.
Open Box (925+ taxes)
Basic EF-RF adaptor(bought separately) as well so that I could still use my EF lenses, and I am not happy with it at all.

The general consensus I am getting is that the RF lenses outperform EF lenses.

Pro's:
The body is super light weight,
Very responsive to the Touch
High ISO range

Cons:

Thanks for your input. Typically anything with adapters will perform less than their native counter parts. I guess the main question is, will you be switching to an entire mirrorless eco system?

I'm kind of in the same boat, I have a Canon 6D with a wide arrange of lenses:
  • Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5
  • Sigma 50mm f/1.4
  • Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8
  • Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 OS

It took me a long time to hunt great deals for these lenses (about half of MSRP). There was a point in time that used 24-70mm lenses were bone dry in the GTA and I had to drive to Burlington to pick up mine. The new mirrorless lenses are absurdly expensive.
Feb 14, 2020
57 posts
66 upvotes
EnyCe wrote: Thanks for your input. Typically anything with adapters will perform less than their native counter parts. I guess the main question is, will you be switching to an entire mirrorless eco system?

I'm kind of in the same boat, I have a Canon 6D with a wide arrange of lenses:
  • Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5
  • Sigma 50mm f/1.4
  • Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8
  • Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 OS

It took me a long time to hunt great deals for these lenses (about half of MSRP). There was a point in time that used 24-70mm lenses were bone dry in the GTA and I had to drive to Burlington to pick up mine. The new mirrorless lenses are absurdly expensive.
Yes, that is the plan as all camera manufactures continue to innovate only in this space. I think I will learn the mirrorless system as much as I can and then upgrade to an R6/ R5.
While I continue to slowly build my lens lineup.

My current EF lenses I was using with T6i

1. Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM (got it as a birthday gift)
2. Canon 18-135 F/4.5-5.6 IS STM Kit lens
3. Sigma 10-20 mm F/3.5 ( Bought at Henry's outlet store - was in to buy wide angle lens from Tamron but settled for sigma) haven't even used it once
4. Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 Bought new from B& H ( this thing costs more than all lenses & the T6i body Lmao ) --> and a lens that I feel I should not have bought or rushed into.

Now EOS RP, EF-RF Adaptor -- Planning to get a 50mm first and build on from there.
a plus side at least for me, I have not invested heavily on Primes or Zooms so it does not seem to hurt as much . I have recovered the cost of all these devices with photoshoots.
Last edited by puzokumar on Aug 26th, 2021 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 16, 2011
5195 posts
7605 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
unshavenyak wrote:
Mathieu Gasquet is a good source for BiF related camera comparisons: https://mirrorlesscomparison.com/best/m ... in-flight/
Thanks, nice site I hadn't seen before. I wonder how using a third party adapter for EF lenses on Z-mount or Fuji X-mount cameras would perform. The D90 and M6 II and 7D II are missing from the review, but they're what I'm leaning towards right now.

I have never managed to get good BiF before, but it'd be cool to try. I love how much detail stationary birds and wildlife have:

EnyCe wrote:

Haha, yeah, it took a lot of work to get my lenses at good prices
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
6802 posts
3170 upvotes
Germany
Nikhilvoid wrote: Thanks, nice site I hadn't seen before. I wonder how using a third party adapter for EF lenses on Z-mount or Fuji X-mount cameras would perform. The D90 and M6 II and 7D II are missing from the review, but they're what I'm leaning towards right now.

I have never managed to get good BiF before, but it'd be cool to try. I love how much detail stationary birds and wildlife have:

Haha, yeah, it took a lot of work to get my lenses at good prices
You're definitely living in the right part of the world for wildlife. Unless I am willing to make a several hour drive, I am limited to whatever common ducks, geese and bluebirds are flittering around here :|.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
6802 posts
3170 upvotes
Germany
I did manage to grab a few snapshots while I was house hunting overseas recently, but still nothing terribly interesting.
_1120183_DxO.jpg
_1120263_DxO.jpg
_1120221_DxO.jpg
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
20543 posts
13939 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Nikhilvoid wrote: Yeah, I was thinking of a Fringer EF-EZ adapter and a Nikon Z5. Or a Z6? But the cost of the body+adapter puts the cost of the new body at 2k. I can get a new EOS RP for 1k.
Amazon has 6 Z5's in their warehouse deals for $1175.56... or for $170 more a Z6. You would still need to get an FTZ adapter but you can probably find them on the used market for a more reasonable than new.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 16, 2011
5195 posts
7605 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
I got the Z6 and an EF-NZ adapter. Now I need to find expensive Xqd cards or expensive CFExpress cards!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
6802 posts
3170 upvotes
Germany
Nikhilvoid wrote: I got the Z6 and an EF-NZ adapter. Now I need to find expensive Xqd cards or expensive CFExpress cards!
Good man. Nikon Z is awesome.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
6802 posts
3170 upvotes
Germany
How are you liking the new camera? I ended up giving up on the Z autofocus adapters. They work, but aren't consistent.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 16, 2011
5195 posts
7605 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
unshavenyak wrote: How are you liking the new camera? I ended up giving up on the Z autofocus adapters. They work, but aren't consistent.
I'm waiting for my CFexpress card to come in the mail, but the demo shots I've taken seem fine. AF with my Tamron lenses with my Altson adapter works most of the time, but I'm thinking of getting the Fringer adapter instead.

I'm also considering getting a 90D or EOS RP for more AF consistency, if it doesn't work out in the field.