Personal Finance

Got two "security code" texts from TD one after the other while just surfing the web

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 19th, 2020 2:23 am
[OP]
Nov 26, 2006
713 posts
280 upvotes
Toronto

Got two "security code" texts from TD one after the other while just surfing the web

I wasn't trying to login or anything. Should I be worried about someone attempting to login to my account? Should I get my debit card replaced?
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2009
5548 posts
3045 upvotes
Toronto
Call the # on the back of the card right away.
Tell them the situation and ask them.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13431 posts
8797 upvotes
Markham
Definitely should call. Either text message is not real or someone tried to log on
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
32073 posts
19287 upvotes
Toronto
+ someone trying to gain access to your online acct
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2009
5548 posts
3045 upvotes
Toronto
pricecheck wrote: Should I be worried about someone attempting to login to my account?
It's been over an hour. What did you do and what was the result?
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2006
1627 posts
904 upvotes
pricecheck wrote: I wasn't trying to login or anything. Should I be worried about someone attempting to login to my account? Should I get my debit card replaced?
You should do all, login to online account change the password. Make sure your phone account password is secure as well. Go to branch if you can and get the card replaced. Use tool like ccleaner to clean pc each time before and after account access.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2015
1126 posts
721 upvotes
Guelph, ON
I hope you realize that hackers send fake "alerts" to random phone numbers and emails all the time. If they've got a link for you to "confirm" something it is probably that (and for heavan's sake don't click the link).
[OP]
Nov 26, 2006
713 posts
280 upvotes
Toronto
JoeBlack23 wrote: I hope you realize that hackers send fake "alerts" to random phone numbers and emails all the time. If they've got a link for you to "confirm" something it is probably that (and for heavan's sake don't click the link).
I doubt this because the codes came from the same short code as before when I was setting up 2PA so they are legit.

Will go to bank today and get my card changed.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2017
3097 posts
2264 upvotes
pricecheck wrote: I doubt this because the codes came from the same short code as before when I was setting up 2PA so they are legit.

Will go to bank today and get my card changed.
While they probably won't mail out a card, please call them RIGHT NOW (their phone line is open 24/7 and you can even call them right now for trivial things like making a transfer to another account) and ask for the card to be blocked. You'll need ID at the branch to replace the card and the blocked card won't work at the branch, so explain to them beforehand.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)