Computers & Electronics

Got a virus on win10 Pro despite having Bitfender and did not go to xxx websites

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 1st, 2020 9:37 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2013
1316 posts
1077 upvotes
Montr

Got a virus on win10 Pro despite having Bitfender and did not go to xxx websites

I just assembled my new system. Installed win10 Pro and Bitdefender Internet security trial version.
My intention was to re-install OS later anyway after all the tweakings are done.

I was using Edge, and the most "dangerous" web sites I've been to were some sites which show up in Google when I searched for "to who such actress was married", that kind of stuffs ...
However, to my surprise, today I saw in some instances my Edge tab was taken over by "rogers survey" scam, and the URL is zretailoutlet.xyz. I scanned my system with Bitdefender and it says my system is clean.

So now is the time for me to re-install my OS. But I am very bothered by the fact that I'm infected with Bitdefender on board and I did not go to any naughty web sites.
In the contrary, I have another in my living room with win 10 pro and a paid version of Bitdefender. And I went to numerous "dangerous" web sites and it did not show any sign of virus.
Any idea ?
36 replies
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
16225 posts
2896 upvotes
Probably just a hostile JavaScript ad, and not an actual virus.
Automatic down-votes: Eufy, D-Link, TP-Link, Newegg, Canada Computers, any Chinese-owned cellphone, laptop or IoT device.
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2016
1144 posts
1750 upvotes
scarborough
malwarebyte trail version
Oct 20, 2011
79 posts
64 upvotes
Toronto
Install Malwarebytes, free, and do a manual scan. That should find the crapware hijacking your system, and let you delete it.

Oh, and stay away from "dangerous" sites. :)

You're just asking for it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2013
1316 posts
1077 upvotes
Montr
First, I used computers for almost 30 years now and never got a virus / malware, because I know a bit about common sense

Second, what bother me is that I installed Bitdefender and I did not go to any naughty website, so why did my new computer get it ?

I reinstalled windows since that was my plan but still I want to know what was wrong
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2008
1798 posts
483 upvotes
From what I read you're probably not going to get a virus from the naughty sites. They have money and tight security. It's the mom and pop shop's who ask their niece/nephew to build a website for them and don't know what they are doing.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
44417 posts
7701 upvotes
JAC wrote: Probably just a hostile JavaScript ad, and not an actual virus.
Could be XSS? Cross side scripting.
Blanka
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2013
1316 posts
1077 upvotes
Montr
It popped up in almost any tab I was using. I regret did not capture the screen to show you. Basically it pretends to be a survey page from Rogers but the URL is all weird (zretailoutlet.xyz)

Anyhow now that I re-installed windows from scratch I switched to using Windows Defender and Chrome, instead of Bitdefender and Edge
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8351 posts
4062 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Having a browser where you can stop javascript working by default is invaluable.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10643 posts
7231 upvotes
JAC wrote: Probably just a hostile JavaScript ad, and not an actual virus.
This.

Do your dangerous sites in a snapshot-ed VM. Restore snapshot after use. (and maintain / update the snapshot once a week or so...or automate this)
Place your VM host in another zone, and the zone should always VPN out (done on the router).
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
16225 posts
2896 upvotes
djemzine wrote: Could be XSS? Cross side scripting.
LOLs. I say JavaScript in the 'non-programmer, yet reasonably familiar with fake ads and scams' sense.
Automatic down-votes: Eufy, D-Link, TP-Link, Newegg, Canada Computers, any Chinese-owned cellphone, laptop or IoT device.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
44417 posts
7701 upvotes
JAC wrote: LOLs. I say JavaScript in the 'non-programmer, yet reasonably familiar with fake ads and scams' sense.
Lol. Also typo on my part. Cross site and not cross side.
Blanka
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
2430 posts
1609 upvotes
North Vancouver
Remove Java from your system. Run Malwarebytes once a week, easy to setup, keep MB updated, and add Ublock Origin to your web browser if you don't already have it.
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. (George Carlin)
Guns don't kill people, people kill people. And monkeys do too - if they have a gun. (Eddie Izzard)
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2761 posts
1313 upvotes
Toronto
I agree with JAC. It's just an ad on the website. Don't be alarmed. Just close the browser and go to another website.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
16225 posts
2896 upvotes
djemzine wrote: Lol. Also typo on my part. Cross site and not cross side.
Now you're just showing off. ;)
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
44417 posts
7701 upvotes
JAC wrote: Now you're just showing off. ;)
Lol. I am not too savvy with regards to the OWASP top 10 vulnerabilities, but I know the basics.
Blanka
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2011
1392 posts
1027 upvotes
Québec
Sorcerer wrote: Remove Java from your system. Run Malwarebytes once a week, easy to setup, keep MB updated, and add Ublock Origin to your web browser if you don't already have it.
Java is not the samething as javascript. The user did not said he had install java. Javascript is run by all browsers internaly.
Last edited by elgros4 on Jul 27th, 2020 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 2, 2001
5045 posts
2734 upvotes
GTA
Desperadude wrote: Any idea ?
Win10 already has a robust antivirus program built in, just have to set it up right

Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
8659 posts
4901 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Surprised got thru trial version of BD as that should be same as paid version.

The built in AV of W10 is ok else suggest Kaspersky or Norton suites. If want AV only then Sophos or Eset.

Echo others to scan regularly with MBAM free and get Ublock Origin if comfortable with that.

For those that mentioned javascript... should that be blocked in browser settings? Especially on computers mainly used for banking and online purchases.

Do already block flash.

Thanks.
2022: BOC raised 6 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017 to 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)