Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 12, 2009
289 posts
74 upvotes

Got a warning and ticket that cop did not give me

Hello,

Stopped by a cop for the first time ever. I was coming out of a gas station and crossed the solid line to go on the other side.

He was in unmarked car. He stopped me and took all the papers. Then he came back, gave me all documents and said he is giving me a ticket since I did not sign my car registration and giving a warning for crossing the solid line. He said that would mean less fine and no points taken. He suggested I can contest in 30 days.

Then he gets into his car and leaves without giving me a ticket.

Would I get it in the post?

Thanks
20 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2014
1015 posts
856 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Lol thats weird maybe he forgot?
Please respond
Aug 8, 2005
571 posts
191 upvotes
Toronto
You got an amazing warning...no ticket and no points

You should be celebrating

Sign your registration and don’t do what you did again

You saved points and $$$$ so be happy with that!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8554 posts
2328 upvotes
Mississauga
youtube101 wrote: Hello,

Stopped by a cop for the first time ever. I was coming out of a gas station and crossed the solid line to go on the other side.

He was in unmarked car. He stopped me and took all the papers. Then he came back, gave me all documents and said he is giving me a ticket since I did not sign my car registration and giving a warning for crossing the solid line. He said that would mean less fine and no points taken. He suggested I can contest in 30 days.

Thanks
Cross your fingers and hope you don`t get a surprise in the mail. He could of been on an undercover assignment and didnt want to waste the time to fill out a ticket. Keep us posted.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
3302 posts
3275 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Could have gotten a call and had to leave.

Check the mail regularly but unless you receive something in the next few weeks to a month consider yourself very lucky.
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2014
1015 posts
856 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Even if you get a ticket in the mail it would be small and wont affect insurance. Also, people are so concerned with points - unless you already have 5 points one shouldnt worry. Fyi, points dont affect insurance, the infraction does. Not signing registration isnt a moving violation and doesnt affect insurance.
Please respond
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
4578 posts
2099 upvotes
I pray for you and hope nothing happens.

The system in Ontario is totally rotten. This is the worst case scenario: you didn't get your copy of the ticket, but the officer actually files his copy (he enters the ticket in the system). This means you got a ticket, but you don't know.

A police officer has 7 days to file a ticket, and it could take up to 15 days for the POA (Provincial Offences Act) court to show a record of the offence. It may take up to ten days after that for the ticket to appear in the online payment system.

Because you don't know you got a ticket, and you don't have the number of the ticket, you can't pay for it. Eventually you end up with a suspended licenses for outstanding tickets (you didn't pay for it, because you didn't know).

The snail mail notification system is BROKEN in Ontario. Before you used to get a letter explaining that you owe money, for not paying the fine on time. Now, sometimes you get the letter... and sometimes you don't.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54685 posts
19492 upvotes
Interesting. Let me check if I signed our registration docs (the one we put the license plate validation sticker on)
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2007
2126 posts
662 upvotes
Call non emergency, give them the badge or cruiser number to see what they can tell you
If that fails, contact the division that the incident happened in.
Ask nicely..dont be confrontational, they should be able to help you out.

WORST case scenario, you might have a police impersonator floating around the area.
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2011
2056 posts
557 upvotes
Woodbridge
CardinalComb wrote: Even if you get a ticket in the mail it would be small and wont affect insurance. Also, people are so concerned with points - unless you already have 5 points one shouldnt worry. Fyi, points dont affect insurance, the infraction does. Not signing registration isnt a moving violation and doesnt affect insurance.
Yes it does affect insurance.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
8342 posts
2112 upvotes
Toronto
youtube101 wrote: Hello,

Thanks
Probably a mistake on his part not giving you the ticket. Anyway, watch the mail. If the confirmation arrives, take it to the courthouse (or designated location) along with your properly signed documents and speak to the ticket clerk or a prosecutor. Chances are high that it will be dismissed immediately.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35736 posts
21825 upvotes
Center of Universe
CardinalComb wrote: Even if you get a ticket in the mail it would be small and wont affect insurance. Also, people are so concerned with points - unless you already have 5 points one shouldnt worry. Fyi, points dont affect insurance, the infraction does. Not signing registration isnt a moving violation and doesnt affect insurance.
Crossing the line wasn't a moving violation?
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54685 posts
19492 upvotes
In Ontario, the painted lines are just for guidance, correct? OP didn't get ticketed for crossing the line though but for having unsigned registration papers.

"giving a warning for crossing the solid line."
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12343 posts
6915 upvotes
Brampton
Can someone explain to me the violation? I just can't picture it.

Not the Registration signing obviously.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54685 posts
19492 upvotes
tebore wrote: Can someone explain to me the violation? I just can't picture it.

Not the Registration signing obviously.
It is the registration that led to the ticket, that hasn't been issued lol. Re-read the OP. I wonder if police officers are allowed to backdate their tickets to reach previous periods' quotas.

I think for my 02 Civic, I got a new document so I put a reminder to myself to make sure it's signed lol.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12343 posts
6915 upvotes
Brampton
alanbrenton wrote: It is the registration that led to the ticket, that hasn't been issued lol. Re-read the OP. I wonder if police officers are allowed to backdate their tickets to reach previous periods' quotas.

I think for my 02 Civic, I got a new document so I put a reminder to myself to make sure it's signed lol.
But I don't understand why he was even pulled over in the first place.

He crossed lines leaving a gas station. Which I assume means he was making a left out of a gas station
I do that all the time. There's nothing illegal about that.

Unless he turned right out in to traffic and then proceeded to drive in to incoming traffic. Which also doesn't surprise me... #gtadrivers
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
4583 posts
3804 upvotes
Oakville, ON
tebore wrote: But I don't understand why he was even pulled over in the first place.

He crossed lines leaving a gas station. Which I assume means he was making a left out of a gas station
I do that all the time. There's nothing illegal about that.

Unless he turned right out in to traffic and then proceeded to drive in to incoming traffic. Which also doesn't surprise me... #gtadrivers
We don’t know if OP is in Ontario or in a jurisdiction where you cannot do that.