Got a water bill for $1,000+ from Alectra

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 30th, 2021 11:19 am
[OP]
Jun 17, 2017
239 posts
35 upvotes

Got a water bill for $1,000+ from Alectra

due to water leak in basement, can someone share her/his experience to ask for a bill adjustment (based on my prior normal usage)?
20 replies
Dec 21, 2020
557 posts
487 upvotes
How does your hydro bill go so high from a water leak?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5543 posts
1770 upvotes
Toronto
RCLapCar wrote: How does your hydro bill go so high from a water leak?
I'd guess leaking for weeks, or more a burst for days.

I fill outdoor hockey rink in winter which take 8-10 hr. Even that the water bill increase (average daily use) is not very noticeable when spread out over the 2 month billing period.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3426 posts
2207 upvotes
Mississauga
RCLapCar wrote: How does your hydro bill go so high from a water leak?
I don't think OP meant his hydro bil.. Looks like Alectra might be doing water distribution and billing in OP's location.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2020
1048 posts
668 upvotes
GTA
In york region, the hydro utility bills on the municipality's behalf for water on the same bill.

It has been like that for many years.
Hvac advice warning - inaccurate information on forum, vested interests in selling builder's equipment. Selling dealer-only brands without being authorized is a red flag. Report to CRA if offered no tax cash-deal. If it's 2 good to b tru, it is.
Dec 21, 2020
557 posts
487 upvotes
insertname2020 wrote: In york region, the hydro utility bills on the municipality's behalf for water on the same bill.

I see. Here in Mississauga Alectra is only hydro and the region bills for the water.
Aug 16, 2007
901 posts
115 upvotes
Richmond Hill
insertname2020 wrote: In york region, the hydro utility bills on the municipality's behalf for water on the same bill.

Might be only Markham. In Richmond Hill water is billed by the City every 3 months.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2020
1048 posts
668 upvotes
GTA
Askari wrote: Might be only Markham. In Richmond Hill water is billed by the City every 3 months.
it's been like that in vaughan for many years.
Hvac advice warning - inaccurate information on forum, vested interests in selling builder's equipment. Selling dealer-only brands without being authorized is a red flag. Report to CRA if offered no tax cash-deal. If it's 2 good to b tru, it is.
Aug 16, 2007
901 posts
115 upvotes
Richmond Hill
insertname2020 wrote: it's been like that in vaughan for many years.

Yeah Vaughan as well. Not sure why Richmond Hill doesn’t do the same
Feb 29, 2008
361 posts
153 upvotes
GTA
Alectra bills for water on behalf of municipality in Hamilton area, Vaughan, Markham and Guelph

As they are billing on behalf of City, there is no leak adjustment (except Hamilton). They will however give you time to pay it (10 months but can negotiate for more)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5543 posts
1770 upvotes
Toronto
IndyBeak wrote: I don't think OP meant his hydro bil.. Looks like Alectra might be doing water distribution and billing in OP's location.
Arh ok that's what most of you thinking about...
Funny tho, isn't the word/prefix "hydro" means water? Using it to refer to electricity is actually less accurate unless it's hydroelectricity but not much of that in Ontario I think?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8398 posts
5263 upvotes
Mississauga
It's a holdover from the pre-nuclear days when almost all electricity generated in Ontario was hydroelectric. There's still a good chunk that remains that way today.

Back on topic... Not sure what the OP expects the utility to do? Strictly speaking, the water was "consumed" by the homeowner.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
3121 posts
1302 upvotes
Windsor
boyohboy wrote: Arh ok that's what most of you thinking about...
Funny tho, isn't the word/prefix "hydro" means water? Using it to refer to electricity is actually less accurate unless it's hydroelectricity but not much of that in Ontario I think?
For all of Ontario, 25% hydro, 60% nuclear, the rest is whatever. The closest major source of power is hydroelectric (Niagara Falls) for Toronto I believe. Bruce is further, I have no idea where the other nuclear plants are.

I don't call my electricity bill the hydro bill, but many people older than me do. In Windsor, electricity/water are together.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3426 posts
2207 upvotes
Mississauga
boyohboy wrote: Arh ok that's what most of you thinking about...
Yeah. It was a minor cultural shock for me too when I landed in Canada. lol. The first time a friend mentioned hydro, I thought they were talking about their water bills.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2015
1999 posts
154 upvotes
Wood Bridge
Welcome to Canada. And finally Happy to see the hydro company actually provide hydro (water) for a change
Thanks
May 29, 2012
602 posts
244 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Good luck getting the bill adjusted.
I know where I live in rural southern Ontario the utility will not give relief for water leaks, toilets running, etc.
A person I know had a boiler in their house malfunction and it kept cycling more water through it, they had a $1000-2000 bill.
They asked the utility company they said no, this person went as far as addressing our municipal council for relief since the county owns the water utility and they were shot down also.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from trying, I would try myself because of the amount of money it is but it may be a tough battle.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2015
1999 posts
154 upvotes
Wood Bridge
I agree with the person above me
Thanks
Dec 2, 2006
402 posts
323 upvotes
Ottawa
ChubChub wrote: For all of Ontario, 25% hydro, 60% nuclear, the rest is whatever. The closest major source of power is hydroelectric (Niagara Falls) for Toronto I believe. Bruce is further, I have no idea where the other nuclear plants are.

I don't call my electricity bill the hydro bill, but many people older than me do. In Windsor, electricity/water are together.
I think Pickering is still providing power?
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
4582 posts
1826 upvotes
GTA
tony311 wrote: Good luck getting the bill adjusted.
I know where I live in rural southern Ontario the utility will not give relief for water leaks, toilets running, etc.
A person I know had a boiler in their house malfunction and it kept cycling more water through it, they had a $1000-2000 bill.
They asked the utility company they said no, this person went as far as addressing our municipal council for relief since the county owns the water utility and they were shot down also.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from trying, I would try myself because of the amount of money it is but it may be a tough battle.
This. My boss in North York went through a nearly identical situation and while the utility did hear him out, they declined his appeal basically saying that the water was used, therefore it needs to be paid for. Good luck OP but I fear you'll be responsible for the bill. Keep us posted.