• Dec 24th, 2017 1:48 pm
[OP]
Aug 29, 2016
326 posts
348 upvotes
Toronto

Government of Canada Pool Question

Just a quick question that I am hoping someone could clarify for me:

I am in a job pool which has been extended for 2 years in a row now. I am currently in a term position within a different department than the pool, but I was taken from that departments pool for this position.

My pool expires Decemebr 31, 2017. Should I be concerned about my pool expiring even though I am in a term? Do you just email and state you want to remain in the pool? Or is it entirely up to them if the pool keeps getting extended?
1 reply
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
3520 posts
2873 upvotes
The decision to extend the pool depends upon the hiring manager and whether a business case exists to extend the pool.

Having long expiry dates for pools rarely makes sense. Business needs can change such that the qualities and experience that were originally sought when the job was advertised no longer exists. It isn't uncommon, for instance, for a year to pass from the original job notice to the creation of the pool and then to extend the pool to 2 years means 3 years may pass. A lot can change in 3 years.

Another operational challenge with longer expiry dates with pools is candidates are no longer available. People looking for new jobs are doing just that - they are looking for new jobs. They will often apply for much more than one position and will not often wait around when offered a position from another pool. So while a hiring manager may have a pool with say 30 candidates in it - a delay in hiring could mean that most of these candidates have accepted other offers and the position will not be filled.