Careers

government jobs

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 9th, 2021 10:46 am
[OP]
Jr. Member
Jun 17, 2017
154 posts
17 upvotes

government jobs

I've applied to 100+ positions at 3 levels of gov, however never got a chance to be interviewed, any tips for applying government jobs in Canada?
16 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
4706 posts
3815 upvotes
healsio wrote: I've applied to 100+ positions at 3 levels of gov, however never got a chance to be interviewed, any tips for applying government jobs in Canada?
Nope, I mean lots of people apply and the min requirements are like bare minimum, they get lots of qualified people like any desirable employer. Municipal is easier but it's not stable and compensation is not good unless it's like City of Toronto or Regional govt

What type of jobs are you applying for?
Member
User avatar
Jun 4, 2007
295 posts
80 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
healsio wrote: I've applied to 100+ positions at 3 levels of gov, however never got a chance to be interviewed, any tips for applying government jobs in Canada?
Can you share a little bit more info? What type of Government jobs are you applying for and where? Are you looking to get into a specific role with the Government or are you looking to just get a job with the Government period? Are you willing to relocate?

I used to be a Provincial Government employee working for the Gov of Alberta. I interviewed in 2013 over the telephone and drove from GTA to Alberta that same year. Was very mobile and willing to travel anywhere in Canada. I was also willing to take any position just as long as I got in.

Feel free to pm me.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2007
1425 posts
1181 upvotes
Edmonton
For federal government, spend a few hours reading this: https://polywogg.ca/polywoggs-hr-guide/

Also, have a master's degree, 2-5 years more exp than they ask for, and speaking French really helps. It's a buyer's market for employers.

Best of luck!
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 19, 2015
1266 posts
721 upvotes
frozenmelon wrote: For federal government, spend a few hours reading this: https://polywogg.ca/polywoggs-hr-guide/

Also, have a master's degree, 2-5 years more exp than they ask for, and speaking French really helps. It's a buyer's market for employers.

Best of luck!
LOL basically, honestly it's laughable that a masters of public policy seems to be the bare minimum to get in nowadays, but at the same time all these MPP grads don't have any other skills so you end up with policy staff that don't actually know jack shit. Some areas you can BS, but others that are non-intuitive or counter-intuitive... ugh I mean some of the health policy recommendations... *shakes head*
Zoomer Mobile Customer - $36/month for 4 GB + free phone
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2007
1425 posts
1181 upvotes
Edmonton
SignedA wrote: LOL basically, honestly it's laughable that a masters of public policy seems to be the bare minimum to get in nowadays, but at the same time all these MPP grads don't have any other skills so you end up with policy staff that don't actually know jack shit. Some areas you can BS, but others that are non-intuitive or counter-intuitive... ugh I mean some of the health policy recommendations... *shakes head*
Same problem as any org that staffs only with MBAs. At the end of the day, it's the leaders who make these hiring decisions. And unfortunately for everyone involved, at the highest level of the public sector the leaders are politicians who are appointed based on their ability to attract votes and make backroom deals, not their leadership ability or expertise in the subject matter at hand. The executives are no better. Most are just ladder climbing sociopaths who are more concerned about optics than results.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 26, 2003
34982 posts
4271 upvotes
Winnipeg
healsio wrote: I've applied to 100+ positions at 3 levels of gov, however never got a chance to be interviewed, any tips for applying government jobs in Canada?
Refer to my post here for why most people want a public sector job.
Member
Jun 18, 2020
317 posts
259 upvotes
Hard to answer this without more details on the jobs being applied to, and without your credentials.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
4706 posts
3815 upvotes
SignedA wrote: LOL basically, honestly it's laughable that a masters of public policy seems to be the bare minimum to get in nowadays, but at the same time all these MPP grads don't have any other skills so you end up with policy staff that don't actually know jack shit. Some areas you can BS, but others that are non-intuitive or counter-intuitive... ugh I mean some of the health policy recommendations... *shakes head*
Most do have experience, they usually are active in their school and volunteer extensively and will have coop placements

Do you fee same way about workers at the big tech companies and others who recruit on campus? This is pretty normal.

And not like new grads go write policy, they're grinding just like any other place with their campus recruits .

I hire direct from school too, we have whole program and staff dedicated to it (big 5 bank), a lot of new grads are damn impressive even compared to people who've worked here for like more than a decade and it's just more hassle to let them go so we keep them around . I don't really care since more headcount means bigger budget
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
1358 posts
1140 upvotes
Ottawa
I agree. More information is needed.

In 2018 I applied to 3 senior engineering federal public service positions with 3 different departments/agencies and got two offers, 9 years out of university. I'm not bilingual and don't hold a graduate degree. *shrug*

But, I did gain a breadth of experience across several industries in the first 9 years of my career before I applied, and I'm told that I'm a very effective communicator.
Member
Mar 26, 2013
367 posts
24 upvotes
Calgary
Try applying in Northwest Territories they are always hiring
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 19, 2015
1266 posts
721 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote: Most do have experience, they usually are active in their school and volunteer extensively and will have coop placements

Do you fee same way about workers at the big tech companies and others who recruit on campus? This is pretty normal.

And not like new grads go write policy, they're grinding just like any other place with their campus recruits .

I hire direct from school too, we have whole program and staff dedicated to it (big 5 bank), a lot of new grads are damn impressive even compared to people who've worked here for like more than a decade and it's just more hassle to let them go so we keep them around . I don't really care since more headcount means bigger budget
Im not sure what you're trying to argue here, I'm not saying they don't have experience as all MPP programs have coop placements. It's how they get their foot in the door.

I'm saying their expertise begins and ends at "policy" without understanding their subject area (of course I'm generalizing here). I'm just saying there should be more well rounded candidates than just oh I paid for a MPP. Volunteering is great and everything, but as someone with literally 100s of hours volunteering in hospital, its not the same as being a clinician and your understanding of the system.
Zoomer Mobile Customer - $36/month for 4 GB + free phone
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 10, 2004
6506 posts
2212 upvotes
Vancouver
This guy always asks open ended general questions and never returns to answer, follow up,etc and probably doesn't even read responses since he doesn't follow up on his incomplete questions. So any of your replies are useless. seems like a bored panda asking questions for the fun of it...
I use voice typing, expect mistakes...
Jr. Member
May 29, 2017
162 posts
106 upvotes
divx wrote: Refer to my post here for why most people want a public sector job.
And they don't leave..

I just got in and everyone I meet... " I been working for 20 years, 30 years 40 years..." There is no turn over. I personally plan to do the same and stay for 30 years.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 26, 2003
34982 posts
4271 upvotes
Winnipeg
Cnsr0033 wrote: And they don't leave..
I just got in and everyone I meet... " I been working for 20 years, 30 years 40 years..." There is no turn over. I personally plan to do the same and stay for 30 years.
Yeah people may tell you private sector make more but that is only the case when the economy is stable, no trade war, no pandemic, which is getting increasingly unlikely these days. Once you get older it is just really tiring to get layoff and having to uproot and move so all those potential benefit of working in the private sector just vaporizes instantly. Oh that is when you are still young, when you get older, I heard a lot of older people having trouble getting work again. There will always be people like @StatsGuy telling you otherwise but you know best.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 31, 2008
11640 posts
2143 upvotes
Toronto
Private sector is for the young. Hopefully you make your money by 50. Age discrimination is reall.
Member
Apr 16, 2015
218 posts
300 upvotes
The main benefit of gov't jobs is the pension, which young people seldom think about. Private sector may be more exciting work and better pay, but you're probably not retiring at 55 with 60% of your pay for life. Plus, once you land a public sector job, you have to be REALLY incompetent to lose it.

Top