Off Topic

Government perhaps taking a stand against teachers?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 23rd, 2020 4:08 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2018
1098 posts
1107 upvotes

Government perhaps taking a stand against teachers?

https://news.ontario.ca/edu/en/2020/01/ ... hools.html

https://www.ontario.ca/page/education-c ... ay-updated

The government is giving financial support to any parent whose child's school is closed due to strikes. First time ever. Perhaps the government has said enough is enough and won't back down this time? I for one certainly hope so. I am so sick of the constant striking and gimmie gimmie gimmie more attitude from the teachers and have had enough. I have 4 kids. My oldest is going to university next year and the striking or work to rule campaigns has been going on for as long as I can remember.

Enough is enough and I hope the government has the backbone to finally stand up to this nonsense hidden behind it's all about the kids crap. No one really believes it and teachers are loathed right now by a lot of people. Teachers are definitely losing the PR campaign on this one
Last edited by HghSsociety on Feb 11th, 2020 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
796 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
6768 posts
1260 upvotes
Scarborough
Get rid of the unions and their gravy contracts

Teachers in 3rd world do better job while getting peanuts for salary, just look at all the immigrants Canada importing from there as proof.

Do this for ALL unionized workplaces.
Time to send em home
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5673 posts
5068 upvotes
Nothing is going to come of it... The unions aren't going to back down and this is just going to keep dragging on and on
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
8755 posts
2422 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
apnayloags wrote: Get rid of the unions and their gravy contracts

Teachers in 3rd world do better job while getting peanuts for salary, just look at all the immigrants Canada importing from there as proof.
There is no definitive list of countries that offer the best and worst education. However, there are organizations, think tanks, and publications that have used data such as literacy or graduation rates to determine which nations have the best education systems.

One such list was created by the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development or OECD. This organization looked at the number of people between the ages of 25 and 64 who have completed a vocational program or had to receive a two- or four-year degree. This data was then used to determine which countries were the most educated.

Based on this list, Canada is the most educated nation.
In addition, Canada placed sixth worldwide in scholastic achievement with a score of 1580.

I don’t see any “third world” countries in the top 20. The US is number 24.

http://worldpopulationreview.com/countr ... y-country/
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

“Our house is on fire.” Greta Thunberg
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8517 posts
2301 upvotes
Mississauga
HghSsociety wrote: https://news.ontario.ca/edu/en/2020/01/ ... hools.html

https://www.ontario.ca/page/education-c ... ay-updated

The government is giving financial support to any parent whose child's school is closed due to strikes. First time ever. Perhaps the government has said enough is enough and won't back down this time? I for one certainly hope so. I am so sick of the constant striking and gimmie gimmie gimmie more attitude from the teachers and have had enough. I have 4 kids. My oldest is going to university next year and the striking or work to rule campaigns has been going on for as long as I can remember.

Enough is enough and I hope the government has the backbone to finally stand up to this nonsense hidden behind it's all about the kids crap. No one really believes it and teachers are loathed right now by a lot of people. Teachers are definitely losing the PR campaign on this one
Lock them out. Enough is enough. Unions served there purpose and in this day in age the union way doesn't work anymore. If you dont believe me ask the GM workers in Oshawa.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8517 posts
2301 upvotes
Mississauga

Time to send em home
Agree 1000%. Teachers are a very important. That doesn't mean they deserve over $95,000 per year for 8 months work.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
8755 posts
2422 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
antigua1999 wrote: Agree 1000%.
After reading a statement like that, I don’t know whether it was a math teacher or an English teacher who failed you. :)
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2005
4286 posts
946 upvotes

Time to send em home
Where is Canada importing all these people from ?

Show your proof .
Still serving a 90 day suspension from " off topic "and "politics "May 21,2020.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8517 posts
2301 upvotes
Mississauga
MexiCanuck wrote: After reading a statement like that, I don’t know whether it was a math teacher or an English teacher who failed you. :)
It was your attempt at I dont know what that failed. lol
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2007
8755 posts
2422 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
antigua1999 wrote: Agree 1000%. Teachers are a very important. That doesn't mean they deserve over $95,000 per year for 8 months work.
MexiCanuck wrote: After reading a statement like that, I don’t know whether it was a math teacher or an English teacher who failed you. :)
antigua1999 wrote: It was your attempt at I dont know what that failed. lol
A person cannot “agree 1000%”. They can agree 0% to 100%, but not beyond 100%.

Saying you agree 1000% is like saying an athlete “gave 110%”.

It can’t be done.

Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8517 posts
2301 upvotes
Mississauga
MexiCanuck wrote: A person cannot “agree 1000%”. They can agree 0% to 100%, but not beyond 100%.

It can’t be done.
Wow just wow. Is your life that boring that you need to correct me? lol
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
3242 posts
1934 upvotes
Kitchener
How come the link you posted shows the US as #1?
How can we fly like eagles, when we're governed by Turkeys?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2013
5656 posts
596 upvotes
MexiCanuck wrote: A person cannot “agree 1000%”. They can agree 0% to 100%, but not beyond 100%.

It can’t be done.
Stop being pedantic. It's a commonly used figure of speech. To say "I agree 100%/110%/1000%" means "I completely agree" :rolleyes:
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
3568 posts
306 upvotes
Leuven
HghSsociety wrote: The government is giving financial support to any parent whose child's school is closed due to strikes. First time ever. Perhaps the government has said enough is enough and won't back down this time?
From memory, when some recent union strikes have ended the negotiated contract has included a chunk of back pay to cover the pay for a significant number of missed days of the strikers. I wonder if this is a strategy that will help keep the parents on the governments side, as well as put pressure on the union to not prolong the strike as they can say they can't give back pay to the teachers as the money saved from not having to pay the teachers while they were on strike has been used.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2010
1826 posts
1075 upvotes
You still have parents like these that think that it's all for the children though. Don't people realize that the government is the one that is negotiating on our behalf and trying to get value for our money instead of teachers? People really lack critical thinking.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)