• Last Updated:
  • Jul 3rd, 2016 10:36 am
Tags:
None
Jun 28, 2016
8 posts

GPA matter for Computer Science?

Hi this is my first posting...
I want to ask something regarding Computer programming career...
Is the GPA at the University like York.... quite matter for getting a good job??

I had never studied about computer programming before I studied at "York university."
and... so I believe that I studied harder than other students to catch up those who already enjoyed programming at their high schools.
As a result, I got all A+ at all the courses regarding all Math, including discrete and linear algebra, and intro. computer programming courses, such as Java and JavaScript, for first year at the University.

However, I studied 2nd year programming courses and the course materials were much harder than before... the advanced courses were hard for me... So I got A and B+ for some advanced computer related courses and A+ for other math courses... the average major GPA is A for that year... But I was little frustrated... because my University is York.... I have heard that if I study at York, then I should get around high A or near A+ to get a good job .. is that true...?
ha...
because of too much stress, I cannot focus on the studying.....

Is the GPA at the University like York.... quite matter for getting a first job??

Thanks.... please give me some advice

Claude..
18 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5761 posts
3916 upvotes
Toronto
There is a forum for Students so this is in the wrong place.

That said York offers something called PEP which is an internship program. You need a B average to qualify for it so you should be fine. If you're willing to invest the time, it'll do wonders for your job prospects. I have friends that did it and they came out with jobs.
Also don't sweat about your grades, anyone who's telling you that it's easy to get As in York is full of it and Computer Science is difficult no matter where you go. I just finished up 1st year Computer Science at York actually and while my grades are good, I can tell you that most of my friends(who are quite intelligent) did not get As in discrete or calc. I still think they'll be fine.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
Employers wont look at your marks. They will look to see if you go the little paper that says you got a diploma/degree etc. So if you got all C average and managed to graduate the employer wont know or care. If you plan on going into Co-op or something similar which is a very good idea then yes you will need a minimum grade to get in there.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
3149 posts
1334 upvotes
Windsor
Nobody cares. Unless you're going for more schooling, it never matters what your marks are. If you want to make it seem like you're smarter, you can write honour roll (or dean's list, gold cord, etc) on your resume; it's not written on your degree anywhere (co-op is, usually).
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
Indeed no one in the real world gives a rat's behind what your grades were. To add to the above, the reality of the world is largely explained by the phrase, "It's not about what you know, it's about who you know." In other words if you have friends, family, acquaintances, etc. that can help you get a job somewhere? You're one step ahead.
Deal Guru
Jul 15, 2008
10543 posts
4141 upvotes
Toronto
No one gives a **** about your GPA unless you're planning on doing graduate studies.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2013
1667 posts
1559 upvotes
Montr
It depends.

My view is, your GPA will matter for the rest of your life, but as in every field, you always need a basic level of team work, interpersonal skills and networking.

Some people get through life with a bad GPA, but they are very street-smart and / or have good connections. However, I am not in this category and I don't recommend taking them as model.

When known corporates (such as Google, Cisco, Apple, etc) look to hire new grads, they always look at academic achievement. GPA is not the only category of achievement, but it is one
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
claudeKey wrote: Is the GPA at the University like York.... quite matter for getting a first job??
You should brush up on your English / communication skills - you won't get an interview with your current level of English :(
Jun 28, 2016
8 posts
Jep4444 wrote: There is a forum for Students so this is in the wrong place.

That said York offers something called PEP which is an internship program. You need a B average to qualify for it so you should be fine. If you're willing to invest the time, it'll do wonders for your job prospects. I have friends that did it and they came out with jobs.
Also don't sweat about your grades, anyone who's telling you that it's easy to get As in York is full of it and Computer Science is difficult no matter where you go. I just finished up 1st year Computer Science at York actually and while my grades are good, I can tell you that most of my friends(who are quite intelligent) did not get As in discrete or calc. I still think they'll be fine.
Oh...
Thank you for the advice.
PEP is important.. I need to find the information about that.
Jun 28, 2016
8 posts
sickcars wrote: Employers wont look at your marks. They will look to see if you go the little paper that says you got a diploma/degree etc. So if you got all C average and managed to graduate the employer wont know or care. If you plan on going into Co-op or something similar which is a very good idea then yes you will need a minimum grade to get in there.
I need to find Co-op next summer! Thanks!
Jun 28, 2016
8 posts
ChubChub wrote: Nobody cares. Unless you're going for more schooling, it never matters what your marks are. If you want to make it seem like you're smarter, you can write honour roll (or dean's list, gold cord, etc) on your resume; it's not written on your degree anywhere (co-op is, usually).
thank you for your advice.
I did not know about how the careers is made(?) after graduation in Canada.
now I know little more about it.
Thanks!!
Jun 28, 2016
8 posts
ES_Revenge wrote: Indeed no one in the real world gives a rat's behind what your grades were. To add to the above, the reality of the world is largely explained by the phrase, "It's not about what you know, it's about who you know." In other words if you have friends, family, acquaintances, etc. that can help you get a job somewhere? You're one step ahead.
Now I know that I too much concern about gpa...
I need to find enjoyment in computer programming rather than struggling to get a good gpa.
personal connection is important..
Thanks!
Jun 28, 2016
8 posts
coolspot wrote: You should brush up on your English / communication skills - you won't get an interview with your current level of English :(
I came to Canada few years ago... and that was my first time of learning English..So please understand my writing with full of English mistakes?
I will brush up my English to have a good communication with others!
Thank you!
Jun 28, 2016
8 posts
Desperadude wrote: It depends.

My view is, your GPA will matter for the rest of your life, but as in every field, you always need a basic level of team work, interpersonal skills and networking.

Some people get through life with a bad GPA, but they are very street-smart and / or have good connections. However, I am not in this category and I don't recommend taking them as model.

When known corporates (such as Google, Cisco, Apple, etc) look to hire new grads, they always look at academic achievement. GPA is not the only category of achievement, but it is one
in fact, I am not in those category too; I am new here Canada, I have few friends like me...
ok... I got it... I need to know about what kind of company and field I want to get in in the future..

thanks!
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
claudeKey wrote: I came to Canada few years ago... and that was my first time of learning English..So please understand my writing with full of English mistakes?
It is very important to have good grammar in your e-mail correspondences with employers.

As for your question regarding GPA, it is only important for your first job and/or graduate studies. No one really asks about your GPA after your first position.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5805 posts
1972 upvotes
Toronto
coolspot wrote: It is very important to have good grammar in your e-mail correspondences with employers.

As for your question regarding GPA, it is only important for your first job and/or graduate studies. No one really asks about your GPA after your first position.
This.

Don't be so quick to say no one ever look at GPA. When you're looking for your first job, everything can help. Especially these days you really should do co-op or intern before graduation. And in the case for co-op or intern via universities, GPA are often required to be part of the application as required by universities and/or companies. Sure, the particular hiring managers may not look at them, but how would you know for sure.

Put it this way, good GPA will not get you your first job, but don't let bad GPA be a possible reason employers throwing your application away.

Or as an example, our manager just hired one cop-op for coming Fall term via a particular university. We received 86 applications, and that's on the low-end of usual numbers. You think your skill set is unique? There are probably 5 more people similar to you all coming from the same university program. GPA becomes the easiest tie-breaker, or at least a cut-off.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)