• Sep 6th, 2021 3:27 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2004
1659 posts
310 upvotes

GPS Options in Car

What options do I have for getting GPS in my 2015 Camry?

Up to now I've been using various GPS apps off my phone but there's simply nowhere to place my phone in this car within easy view of the phone screen without blocking the driving view or any of the vents/dash/gauges etc.

I'd looked at different head units with double din for Android Auto but from what I can tell, they'll remove the factory functionality that I have in the stock unit (I like to monitor my fuel economy vs driving habits from the factory unit, for example, lol)

There doesn't seem to be a means to mirror my phone on the factory screen either (or is there) ?
12 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
2423 posts
1091 upvotes
Hometown
Have you tried contacting Crutchfield audio. They will know if anyone does what units will preserve the functions you want to keep. They will also give you a list of the exact items and possibly instructions... Which if you are handy you might be able to order of Amazon for about 30% less and do the install yourself or have a local shop do it.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
3375 posts
3358 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
In my experiences the vent mount ones are the best. Just turn off that particular vent.

Ripping out the stock system works better in some cars than others. That said there should be an after market radio that retains support since your car is popular. https://www.crutchfield.ca/car/carselec ... mycar.aspx Then go to all stereos, filter by CarPlay (can't find AA filter) then look at those. To retain all OEM options it's gonna be like an extra $400 for all the connectors (if its possible). Also if you can check the Toyota forums and see what radios are popular/confirmed working.

If possible I'd recommend springing extra for wireless Android Auto / CarPlay, its a game changer for short trips.
Temp. Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1664 upvotes
Clarington, ON
I’ll loan you my wife. She will sit in the passenger seat and tell you where to go!
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2840 posts
1501 upvotes
Markham
KevinM56081 wrote: I’ll loan you my wife. She will sit in the passenger seat and tell you where to go!
Haha
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
2840 posts
1501 upvotes
Markham
bobor wrote: What options do I have for getting GPS in my 2015 Camry?

Up to now I've been using various GPS apps off my phone but there's simply nowhere to place my phone in this car within easy view of the phone screen without blocking the driving view or any of the vents/dash/gauges etc.

I'd looked at different head units with double din for Android Auto but from what I can tell, they'll remove the factory functionality that I have in the stock unit (I like to monitor my fuel economy vs driving habits from the factory unit, for example, lol)

There doesn't seem to be a means to mirror my phone on the factory screen either (or is there) ?
There are so many mounts for your phone....on the vent, on the cupholder, and even a suction holder on the windshield.
Or go old fashion, use the paper map and direction.
Last edited by BDSL on Sep 5th, 2021 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2007
1708 posts
596 upvotes
Vancouver
If you have a CD player you can get a CD mount that way it won't block any of the vents. New head units you should be able to get adaptors to connect all the functionality but it could be a little tricky to install and not always 100% guaranteed every thing will work.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4396 posts
4567 upvotes
GTA
What about a dedicated GPS unit from Garmin or something? They come with a suction cup mount to stick them to the windshield.
Jun 18, 2008
447 posts
189 upvotes
Calgary
I have couple of RAM mounts that I use when I travel. They are modular consisting of 3 parts: base, arm and cradle. You can mix and match to your liking. I prefer their suction cup base, then arm of whatever length you need and cradle to match your device (be it dedicated GPS device or phone). I tuck it in the left bottom corner of the windshield, just next to the A pillar. Does not obstruct any view and it is next to my left hand if I have to touch screen. Take a look at https://www.rammount.com/consumer/on-road/automobile
Oct 21, 2006
749 posts
501 upvotes
I have always liked the dedicated GPS units from garmin... the thing about those built in device is you run into the problem of a single point of failure...
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12055 posts
4368 upvotes
Toronto
Both of ours cars at home has built in GPA and we almost never use it.

Easier and fastest is always google map or Waze. Real time traffic and direct the best alternative routes.

The only time I may use car GPS is when driving in US and doesn't want to drain the US data on my cellphone.

The CD slot phone holder is the best. it barely get off unlike the one hold from the windshield.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
16259 posts
4794 upvotes
Markham
cup holder phone mount?
https://www.amazon.ca/Universal-Adjusta ... B07Q83ZLRX

if phone screen is too small, you can use a small tablet.
https://www.amazon.ca/Cellet-Universal- ... B07RCTYT6K
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro