None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2007
2213 posts
636 upvotes
Toronto

GPS tracking bracelet for a kid - need advice

After spending a bit of time researching available options, I've gotten somewhat confused.
Most GPS bracelets have a service fee of $5-$10/month. Others require service from cell company - does it mean that GPS is using a SIM card? I was under impression that the GPS tracker should work in the same way as Garmin car units - meaning service is basically free, but that's not what I'm seeing... Wonder why the need for additional service.

Tons of devices are available on the market now. Any popular favourites? The only things important for me are reliability, long battery life, and preferably a lock that's not easily removable by a child (or his peers).

EDIT: The kid is under 4yrs old, I want to make sure he doesn't wonder off from the kindergarden. Also want to track him in crowded places - malls etc - if he runs off. And cell phone is not an option - he'll lose it the first day.
20 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2014
5219 posts
1679 upvotes
Toronto
these are a thing?

wow.

id never forgive my parents if they gave me an ankle bracelet, da fuq.

good way to ruin a childs social life.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29362 posts
14857 upvotes
Negotiator wrote: Wonder why the need for additional service.
You can receive the coordinates all day long for free but how are you going to get them off the bracelet?
Your kid will know where they are but you will have no idea.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2689 upvotes
Vancouver
death_hawk is correct. All GPS trackers need cellular service to report their position to someone. GPS is a one-way free broadcast from the satellites to all receivers, which allows them to find their position, but it doesn't do much good if they have no way to report that position. Most of them take a SIM card. so you can choose your cellular service.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
36342 posts
9609 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Would it not be easier to just get an app for their cell phone?

BBM has a tracking option called Glimpse, it defaults to 30 minutes and shows you the exact movements of the person
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2010
1721 posts
568 upvotes
Near Toronto
Gee wrote: Would it not be easier to just get an app for their cell phone?

BBM has a tracking option called Glimpse, it defaults to 30 minutes and shows you the exact movements of the person
because that would cost a lot more in DATA and battery life.

Glimpse is an app for Android also.

If the kids is old enough to have a Cell Phone and it's an android phone then you can just type "where's my phone" in google and it will show you the phone of the account that's logged in.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2689 upvotes
Vancouver
It's not going to cost any more battery life or data to use Glimpse than to use Android's built-in tracking by Google. They both report your position regularly using mobile data. If you haven't done anything to enhance your privacy settings, Google probably has a record of everywhere you have ever been (sign in and visit https://maps.google.com/locationhistory/b/0).

The OP is probably looking for something like this: http://www.********.com/home-gadgets/pp_157924.html
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2009
2392 posts
461 upvotes
These kids/toddlers tracking devices are freaking stupid and beat the purpose. Lets make it obvious that these are a tracking devices so that people will know to take them off your kids if they want to kidnap them.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2010
1721 posts
568 upvotes
Near Toronto
JamesA1 wrote: It's not going to cost any more battery life or data to use Glimpse than to use Android's built-in tracking by Google. They both report your position regularly using mobile data. If you haven't done anything to enhance your privacy settings, Google probably has a record of everywhere you have ever been (sign in and visit https://maps.google.com/locationhistory/b/0).

The OP is probably looking for something like this: http://www.********.com/home-gadgets/pp_157924.html
Google location services doesn't ping every second like glympse does.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2008
1804 posts
484 upvotes
Being a parent I can understand the fear associated with losing a kid however I don't think this will kind of device will work. If your kid just wanders off he/she will turn up eventually (some good samaritan will take them to guest services or lost and found). However if your kid is (god forbid) kidnapped, the first thing they will do is remove the device.

Best advice is keep an eye on your kids, find a better daycare if they aren't monitoring properly. You might also want to put your phone number in the kids pocket or on the shirt label.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2003
2366 posts
398 upvotes
Edmonton
singhrh wrote: Being a parent I can understand the fear associated with losing a kid however I don't think this will kind of device will work. If your kid just wanders off he/she will turn up eventually (some good samaritan will take them to guest services or lost and found). However if your kid is (god forbid) kidnapped, the first thing they will do is remove the device.

Best advice is keep an eye on your kids, find a better daycare if they aren't monitoring properly. You might also want to put your phone number in the kids pocket or on the shirt label.
Child abductions by strangers are extremely rare in Canada: http://www.canadasmissing.ca/pubs/2014/index-eng.htm
Definition: Than
A conjunction used to introduce the second element of an unequal comparison: She had better grammar than I.
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11638 posts
2615 upvotes
Montreal
Financials wrote: id never forgive my parents if they gave me an ankle bracelet, da fuq.

good way to ruin a childs social life.
Not all kids are teenagers with a social life.

I think that bracelet is more for 7-12 years old kids who just go to the park a couple of streets over on their bicycles.
It's reassuring for the parents to know their kids are still at the park, or... you know, when said kid is roaming the neighborhood on his bicycle, avoiding to come home because he/she has homework to do :razz:
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2689 upvotes
Vancouver
Wait, don't you get a visit from the police now if you let your 7-year-old kids go play in the park on their own? :-0
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
24585 posts
34241 upvotes
Toronto
the irony being that its safer than ever to be a kid right now. yet parks and playgrounds are frequently deserted or the parental unit helicopters over the kid not letting them explore or even get hurt. As a dad it makes me sad to see how soft and sheltered some children are becoming through no fault of their own.

BTW - I'm also of the opinion that this tracking device is a terrible idea. Like others said, change daycares or talk to them if they're not meeting your standards.
I'm serious as cancer when I say rhythm is a dancer.
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11638 posts
2615 upvotes
Montreal
JamesA1 wrote: Wait, don't you get a visit from the police now if you let your 7-year-old kids go play in the park on their own? :-0
I know you are referring to those news articles about parents being arrested for letting their 6-8 years old play in the frontyard alone for 2 minutes and such.

I think it depends on the area, we live in a very deep residential area where there are small parks everywhere, tons of old retired people walking their dogs 24/7 (Yes, my cameras show dog walkers at 3am-4am!). I see plenty of kids 6+ walking to/from home by themselves, heck even the elementary school a few blocks over lets the kids walk home.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2009
5161 posts
703 upvotes
South of Ottawa
Sad that someone even thinks they need something like this. Terrible reflection on the power of media and the current culture of fear that permeates just about every aspect of life.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2689 upvotes
Vancouver
alkizmo wrote: I see plenty of kids 6+ walking to/from home by themselves, heck even the elementary school a few blocks over lets the kids walk home.
My brother and his wife let their two young kids (7 and 9 years old) walk to school a few blocks away, in a very safe family neighbourhood in Sherbrooke. That's a choice they've made deliberately, one that they feel is both safe and and their own business. But they've actually been lectured by nosy neighbours about it! It's hard for me to feel much sympathy with people so paranoid. I walked to school when I was 6 years old, and so did everyone else in my neighbourhood, and it was no more or less dangerous than today.
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11638 posts
2615 upvotes
Montreal
JamesA1 wrote: But they've actually been lectured by nosy neighbours about it! It's hard for me to feel much sympathy with people so paranoid. I walked to school when I was 6 years old, and so did everyone else in my neighbourhood, and it was no more or less dangerous than today.
It's kind of like the bicycle helmet law. We were lived without brain damage, but because a few kids had accidents, everyone has to wear a helmet even if they just go from their house to the park. There is a reason why it is less acceptable to let a kid roam free like that, but depending on the area, you'll find leniency.