None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2008
2126 posts
497 upvotes
Milton, Ontario

GPU's what to buy, when to by ?

Can anyone explain me what GPU's will be out in the next year ?
I'm not that good at gpu tech and I'm already lost on what's available and what is coming out soon.
I know there's 1080 and 1070 recently released but I read here and there that it's not what people were waiting for, something about memory ?
Anyway trying to decide when to upgrade my video cards, currently on SLI 670 running on 34'' 21:9 monitor.
I game a bit, and I see that sli 670 is struggling to run my monitor, don't need the best tech available to run on ultra, but would be nice to run games on high again :)
16 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2017
1753 posts
1170 upvotes
Calgary
1070 is what I'm waiting for.
But there's a budget friendly card coming out from AMD soon.
Aug 27, 2008
606 posts
120 upvotes
montreal
I think my 980ti will run Battlefield 1 just fine, i should be good for at least two more years. I don't think gpu's have issues with memory bandwidth but the next big thing in memory is HBM2. Cards will probably show up with that sometime in 2017. I just wait until my card isnt running games at around 60fps, once that happens I wait for the next big card to be released and buy it. I don't find waiting a long time after a card is released to be worthwhile, sales on gpu's have been infrequent and lousy in recent years.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2760 posts
917 upvotes
Windsor
In the next 12 months
- nVidia will have released their budget lines (no word on what those will be / pricing at this point), and likely "fancy" versions of the top-end GPUs (overclocked, higher memory bandwidth, faster memory, etc).
- AMD "budget" GPUs will be out in the next week, and in the next 12 months, their top-end ones will come out, and possibly "fancy" versions of those GPUs (overclocked, higher memory bandwidth, faster memory, etc)

It's still to be seen, but the upcoming RX 480 from AMD might be able to do what you're looking for (maybe even the RX 470, but probably not); I believe release date is June 29th, so you only have to wait a week. From there, you will see what it can do. Not sure what SLI 670s works out to compared to current cards, but the RX 480 is rumored to be around the current 980, but with notable power savings. Compared to your SLI 670s, power consumption wise, it would be WAY better.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1273 posts
65 upvotes
Hamilton
would recommend a used 970 OC/Strix or 980ti for your needs..

if you're looking brand new.... hmm. like Chub said, check out whats coming from AMD. although I dont think that will do it... think they will perform medium settings 60 FPS @ 1440P.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28885 posts
9380 upvotes
How did you get to run SLI with a 34" ultra wide monitor, while being "not that good at GPU tech"? Weird.

Anyway 34" 21:9 doesn't tell us that much--what resolution is this display? I'm guessing it is 3440x1440 but it could also be 2560x1080--fairly different in terms of the GPU power required. You're probably looking at a 1070 at a minimum. You could also go with two RX480s in CF or just go with a GTX 1080. Any way you slice it though, you're looking at $600-1000.

AMD high-end cards won't release until year end or next year (Vega), so you can wait for those as well.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3237 posts
576 upvotes
GTA
The gtx 1080, that's what I'm trying to get but it's close to impossible. There is some kind of monoply where only 3-4 canadian stores are getting stock and the item gets sold out within seconds of showing up. Last night the strix went in stock and within 8 seconds it was sold out. If you want a good card get ready to wait till Sept/Oct to maybe be able to get one
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1273 posts
65 upvotes
Hamilton
I was at a Canada Computers store last week, I saw one on a test bench and I was totally surprised so I asked the dude... He said they were getting stock in, you just have to wait in line. He has sold 11 already and there were only 3 people waiting in line for the next shipment.. Says its been a relatively good stock flow/waiting period. Maybe try there?

jarko wrote: The gtx 1080, that's what I'm trying to get but it's close to impossible. There is some kind of monoply where only 3-4 canadian stores are getting stock and the item gets sold out within seconds of showing up. Last night the strix went in stock and within 8 seconds it was sold out. If you want a good card get ready to wait till Sept/Oct to maybe be able to get one
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3237 posts
576 upvotes
GTA
Drewis wrote: I was at a Canada Computers store last week, I saw one on a test bench and I was totally surprised so I asked the dude... He said they were getting stock in, you just have to wait in line. He has sold 11 already and there were only 3 people waiting in line for the next shipment.. Says its been a relatively good stock flow/waiting period. Maybe try there?
Thanks for the tip but CC is really price gouging on the cards, they are charging $80+ more than anywhere else. Wish newegg took pre-orders as they have the biggest selection but it sells out within seconds
May 3, 2011
671 posts
90 upvotes
480 provides the common folk 60 fps 1080p gaming at 300. Perfecto!
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
2010 posts
1046 upvotes
GTA
jimmyonishi wrote: 480 provides the common folk 60 fps 1080p gaming at 300. Perfecto!
That's why I want one so bad. I don't want to spend any more then that and it will suit the needs and specs you mentioned.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 18, 2012
9687 posts
4486 upvotes
Toronto
the Pascal based GTX 1050 and 1060 are coming soon, if you wanna wait for those
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7119 posts
1449 upvotes
Toronto
Oh come on, the 950 and 960 when it releases will not be in the same ballpark as a skylake iGPU. I have a i5-6500 and I still run my 2011 560ti, I suppose one can take that as testament that the 560ti is a beastly card or that the iGPU on skylake CPUs are crap. Now I am sure you will bring up some special skylake sku that nobody buys that has an ok iGPU, but that iGPU is still crap and can not compare to existing entry level cards like the 750ti or the AMD 270/370.

With that said, the power consumption of the skylake iGPU is amazing, when doing light gaming on my i5-6500 the increase in power consumption is around 5w. The skylake iGPU is a marvel in all metrics but performance.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2008
2126 posts
497 upvotes
Milton, Ontario
ES_Revenge wrote: How did you get to run SLI with a 34" ultra wide monitor, while being "not that good at GPU tech"? Weird.
Lol. Whats so hard about about plugging in a gpu into mobo and connecting it with a bridge ?
Like I said, im having hard time understanding all the terms, mhz, boost, cores etc... Even worse once you get to forums where people discuss the gpus and start analyzing every aspect of the gpu :) And i dont even want to understand all the technical terms, I buy gpu once every 4 years, so im fine with asking for help instead of learning everything.