Tags:
None
[OP]
Dec 25, 2005
480 posts
50 upvotes
Toronto

Grab bar from China

Thinking of using a grab bar as a towel rack and for a little assistance getting out of the shower if needed. The prices at the big box stores are from $30 - $50 for the same styles I can get a grab bar off of ebay for about $12. Is there anything I should worry about with the ebay ones compared to the big box stores. Is there any reason that you wouldn't get such item from ebay/china?
I need about 3 so looking to lower costs.

Thanks
4 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2011
3661 posts
1896 upvotes
Vancouver
whoam wrote: Is there anything I should worry about with the ebay ones compared to the big box stores. Is there any reason that you wouldn't get such item from ebay/china?
No, they're all made in China anyway. Also, go browse some local thrift shops, you might find it there for less than $5.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2012
2718 posts
1458 upvotes
Ottawa
What's probably more important than country of manufacture is how securely it is mounted to the wall.
prae praesto filum clostrum
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
6798 posts
2348 upvotes
GTA
Not all SS is equal OP-you don't want to install a grab bar that shows rust spots in a few months. Try to read reviews on the brand you find on ebay/china/amazon.

Locate the studs where you want to install the grab bar-don't bother with anchors etc. If the studs are 16" apart you know to buy a 16 or 24" grab bar, if the studs are every 12" you can get a 24" grab bar which is common. Don't even consider the suction type grab bars, may as well just whack dad on the hip with a hammer.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
4284 posts
1557 upvotes
WFH
Zamboni wrote: Don't even consider the suction type grab bars, may as well just whack dad on the hip with a hammer.
:lol: