Grad school for HR?

• Last Updated:
  • May 5th, 2017 2:27 pm
[OP]
Apr 20, 2017
2 posts

Grad school for HR?

Hi Everyone,
I am a recent BBA graduate, and I'm currently doing a postgraduate certificate in HR. I recently applied to some HR Masters programs in and near the GTA and have finally narrowed it down to my top 2 choices...
- MSc Management (focus on OB/HR) at Ryerson-Ted Rogers
- MHRM at York (School of HRM)

Now I am very very confused as to which of these would suit me better overall. The major difference is that the MScM is thesis-based, and the MHRM is (highly specialized) course-based. Also, the MHRM seems a bit more recognized/prestigious, but the MScM seems more rigorous and allows me to add a dissertation to my name.
My question is, which of these degrees/schools do you think would suit me better for jobs and professional opportunities? Which one would you pick if you wanted to be an HR professional and why?
I would really appreciate your opinions!

PS. Both of these degrees lead to a PhD so both of them can open the doors for careers in academia.
5 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2015
3868 posts
3612 upvotes
Toronto
why do u need masters degree for HR?? lol
To the moon
[OP]
Apr 20, 2017
2 posts
Many many reasons...
- To expand my knowledge of the subject matter
- Obtain an edge in this highly competitive job market
- Have opportunities for teaching in the future
...and so on
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2010
5642 posts
2264 upvotes
Abbottabad
To learn how to nickel and dime your company's slaves.
Nov 22, 2013
104 posts
13 upvotes
Brampton
iamskyhigh wrote: To learn how to nickel and dime your company's slaves.
Exactly. OP will probably be working at a staffing agency looking for "disposable workers" if they need work, and then not following up with them.
Mar 17, 2015
183 posts
52 upvotes
North York, ON
MisterSingh wrote: Hi Everyone,
I am a recent BBA graduate, and I'm currently doing a postgraduate certificate in HR. I recently applied to some HR Masters programs in and near the GTA and have finally narrowed it down to my top 2 choices...
- MSc Management (focus on OB/HR) at Ryerson-Ted Rogers
- MHRM at York (School of HRM)

Now I am very very confused as to which of these would suit me better overall. The major difference is that the MScM is thesis-based, and the MHRM is (highly specialized) course-based. Also, the MHRM seems a bit more recognized/prestigious, but the MScM seems more rigorous and allows me to add a dissertation to my name.
My question is, which of these degrees/schools do you think would suit me better for jobs and professional opportunities? Which one would you pick if you wanted to be an HR professional and why?
I would really appreciate your opinions!

PS. Both of these degrees lead to a PhD so both of them can open the doors for careers in academia.
Where did you get your BBA from?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)