Students

Grade 12 Calculus

Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2006
1265 posts
340 upvotes
Vancouver

Grade 12 Calculus

What is this class like? I'm lucky to even be in it...I got in just before the curriculum changed :cheesygri

In Grade 11, I took "Functions" only...but this year, the prerequisite has changed. You need to have taken Grade 11 "Functions & Relations" to get into Grade 12 Calculus.

Anyways, I got 93% overall, 97% on my final exam for "Functions".

Is taking "Functions" over "Functions & Relations" going to have a major impact on me in Grade 12 Calc?

Please help.
27 replies
Sep 28, 2003
900 posts
529 upvotes
You should be fine. I don't remember high school Calculus being hard. It's just the basics and I don't think the curriculum has added a lot of new content since dropping OAC year. All you need to get out of that course are several simple rules.
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2004
3513 posts
69 upvotes
Bowmanville
If you did that well in grade 11 then you should be fine in grade 12. It can be quite a bit of work, especially for students that aren't really strong in math but its really not that difficult. (though it did take me a few minutes to remember how to do the max/min problems when I was teaching/tutoring it)
You'll be fine.
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2004
3746 posts
244 upvotes
wilson_wu wrote:
Anyways, I got 93% overall, 97% on my final exam for "Functions".
You answered your own question/
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2006
3370 posts
346 upvotes
Brisbane
In retrospect it was very easy, but at the time I struggled because it wasn't a required academic... no provincial exam. So I never focused on it much. I got 80% after getting 91% in math 12 the semester before. You should definately be fine though, just remember that it's not hard but if you plan on doing any post secondary mathematics it's all in calculus (besides linear algebra).
Jul 31, 2003
130 posts
1 upvote
You won't find Calculus to be a problem with your marks :lol:
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2004
2539 posts
102 upvotes
Calculus is going to be sweet for you.

imho calculus is the EASIEST grade 12 math course. Discrete I heard was a ***** from friends, but between data and calculus, calc is easyy stuff.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2005
2902 posts
47 upvotes
no way Data was BY FAR the easiest grade 12 math course..
Oct 22, 2005
97 posts
1 upvote
i found calc a joke last year lol
i didnt have to do any homework and missed my summative and still ended up with an 80 :)
you got nothin to worry about lol
Jul 18, 2005
433 posts
204 upvotes
Just pay attention in class and make sure you know what the hell is going on, and you should be fine. Grade 12 Calculus isn't that hard, really. Besides, with your previous marks, you probably have good study habits and/or good at math. If so, Calculus REALLY shouldn't be a problem.
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2004
2539 posts
102 upvotes
TheFuteballer wrote:no way Data was BY FAR the easiest grade 12 math course..
noooo way.

you can call it "different" from normal math courses if you want. it was total hell trying to get a high 90s mark in that class.
Jun 6, 2005
525 posts
1 upvote
red_roses101 wrote:F&R has that extra unit, Conics...which I don't think is used in Calculus...only in discrete.
If you don't know conic sections, it makes multivariable calculus pretty difficult lol.

But that is obviously not in grade 12 calculus so the poster will be fine for now. But he'll eventually have to learn about conics. They don't reteach it in university, it is an assumed part of the high school curriculum.

I didn't take calculus in grade 12, but I wish I had. In grade 12 they teach it at a much slower pace and make it already basic. They teach you fundamentals. They don't prepare you to take the AP test at all, but you are in pretty good stead for Calculus I in university. If I had taken calc12, maybe I wouldn't have a C+ average in the five maths classes I've taken in university LOL. Or maybe I just suck at maths.
Nov 14, 2003
67 posts
alv077 wrote:Calculus is going to be sweet for you.

imho calculus is the EASIEST grade 12 math course. Discrete I heard was a ***** from friends, but between data and calculus, calc is easyy stuff.
i agree with all the other posters though, if you got that high of a mark in gr11, you'll be fine in gr12 calc. haha..i found the opposite to be true! i found discrete alot easier than calculus.. the teacher said something about how it's the way a girl's mind thinks and a guy's thinks. haha..my class was 11 ppl and only three girls =). top three marks were the three girls =).
Aug 10, 2005
72 posts
ch1nkyfl1p wrote:i agree with all the other posters though, if you got that high of a mark in gr11, you'll be fine in gr12 calc. haha..i found the opposite to be true! i found discrete alot easier than calculus.. the teacher said something about how it's the way a girl's mind thinks and a guy's thinks. haha..my class was 11 ppl and only three girls =). top three marks were the three girls =).
^^^ yaa i found Proving more fun and easier than long derivatives... lol..

and dont worry OP, high mark in Gr. 11 ---- proof for better prep. for any Grade 12 math.
Mar 10, 2003
32 posts
It's really an easy class, however it all depends on your teacher
My calc teacher was literally the teacher from hell
I went into the exam with an 83% and finishing with a 75% :S
Turns out I got a 49% on the exam

However, next year rolls around and I take Calc at the U
I'm in the honors calc class and I end up with a final mark of 97.5%, top of my calc class

I personally don't think calc is so hard, it's just a few concepts that you have to grasp, however your teacher can make it or break it for you
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
6241 posts
708 upvotes
I definitely failed OAC Calculous...but then again I never went to class, didn't crack open the textbook at all until just before the final exam and never did any homework...

I still managed to pull off a 60% before the final though...so that should give you an idea on how difficult the material was. It was just the final that killed me which caused me to fail...

Meh, knew I wasn't going to go for a math university program anyway...hazaa for Law :)
Sep 19, 2005
396 posts
Waterloo, ON
Grade 12 calc was fairly easy for me...it was all limits, derivatives and depending on which school you went to I know people who did anti-derivatives (integrals) and some who didnt.

If you learn the tricks for derivatives ahead of time, then the section where you are forced to use the definition becomes easy since you can check your answer in your head in like 2 seconds...other than that just pay attention and get your practice in and you should be fine!
Aug 18, 2006
4 posts
don't stress about calculus... i did VERY poorly grade 11 math (my teacher was a psycho..) and i got a 96 advanced placement calculus :D =P try hard to not fall behind and if you don't get something ask right away because the concepts do tend to build on each other
Deal Addict
Sep 25, 2005
1763 posts
73 upvotes
There a a big difference between the two courses. Simply functions barely scratches the surface of Calculus. I took AP Calculus which is an incredible prep course. Compared to the little they did in the normal course, and even now that they changed it to just functions, what you do now is barely anything of what you'll do in Calculus I at university.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)