Grade 8 Computer Science

[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1568 posts
205 upvotes
Markham, ON

Grade 8 Computer Science

What do students do in Grade 8 computer science class?

My favourite thing to do in the computer lab during my grade 8 computer class was playing the typing game. My chosen animal ran faster the better I typed. I was first place many times.

Unfortunately, my school did not have the other free fun educational games I purchased through rebates so I only got to enjoy those very fun and educational games at home.
28 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2012
2541 posts
637 upvotes
Toronto
Poppwl wrote: What do students do in Grade 8 computer science class?

My favourite thing to do in the computer lab during my grade 8 computer class was playing the typing game. My chosen animal ran faster the better I typed. I was first place many times.

Unfortunately, my school did not have the other free fun educational games I purchased through rebates so I only got to enjoy those very fun and educational games at home.
What does this even mean?! It makes absolutely no sense.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1568 posts
205 upvotes
Markham, ON
MrsPotato wrote: What does this even mean?! It makes absolutely no sense.
If you are a current teacher, I am asking you: "Is a type of computer class still part of the curriculum. If so, what do Grade 8 students do in computer class nowadays? If not, what came to replace the computer class?"
If you are a current Grade 8 student, I am asking you: "Is there still computer class in your school? If so, what do you do in computer class nowadays? If not, what is the new "technology class" titled now?
If you were a Grade 8 student before 2000, I am asking "what did YOU do in your Grade 8 computer class, if there was one."

I simply wrote what I did in Grade 8 computer class.

I have also bought an educational computer game through rebates (free) which I liked where the focus was on English, Math and Science. I have purchased other computer educational software which I did not liked and just SAT on my shelve.

I hope this clarify things for you.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2011
2027 posts
392 upvotes
GTA
Poppwl wrote: Can someone confirm this is safe and not a virus?
there's nothing to download, showing you the curriculum
Jul 29, 2007
735 posts
458 upvotes
North America
Thanks for the link! imflying12, or anyone else, would you happen to have links to other curriculums?
I mean, I am homeschooling my kids and am looking for grades 4-8, maybe even higher (they're in gr3 &6).
Please point me in the right direction, looking for cheap, easy, fast! Thanks,
Thank you RFD community for helping me with spending money!
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2004
1654 posts
447 upvotes
Woodbridge
I think all I did in grade 8 computers was learn how to type properly, play Oregon trail, and number munchers. There was the occasional typing speed test, where on the software a paragraph would come up and we had to type it and the program would determine your speed and no. of errors. Some students just typed the first word and stop, and they'll end up with fast typing speed and no spelling errors.
May 10, 2006
575 posts
263 upvotes
YYC
Poppwl wrote: ...
If you were a Grade 8 student before 2000, I am asking "what did YOU do in your Grade 8 computer class, if there was one."
I think you should edit your OP to include the year there because it is really unclear.

Anyways, we learned to code in Pascal in year 2000 when I was in gr.8 computer class. We did typing games in like gr.4 or something like that...
May 15, 2015
227 posts
64 upvotes
North York, ON
We learned to use some weird spreadsheet and presentation softwares on the then colourful iMacs. Other than that I don't remember much. The typing games and math games we played in elementary school.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3605 posts
1377 upvotes
Woodbridge
When I was in grade 8 we did a lot of typing, word processing etc. That was when computers just started becoming a big part of schools and the idea of a computer lab was new. Now, it's assumed that all these things will be learned at home and/or at a much younger age. I use Google Classroom and give writing, research, presentation type assignments to my grade 3/4 class. The few that didn't know how to do things like add a bullet list, change font colour etc. quickly learned from the others. They use Google Slides or Powerpoint or Prezi to give presentations. I also introduced code.org to my class and they love it.

The government just announced $50 million in spending to teach teachers and students how to code - http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/liberal ... -1.4497888
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3605 posts
1377 upvotes
Woodbridge
Saltywetguy wrote: Thanks for the link! imflying12, or anyone else, would you happen to have links to other curriculums?
I mean, I am homeschooling my kids and am looking for grades 4-8, maybe even higher (they're in gr3 &6).
Please point me in the right direction, looking for cheap, easy, fast! Thanks,
Check out khan academy and ixl

Ontario curriculum can be found here for k-8 and here for 9-12
Sep 16, 2006
912 posts
183 upvotes
Barrie, ON
Isn't it obvious what kids are learning in Gr8?
Mastery of Pinterest, Facebook (oh no wait, that's for old people), snapchat, twitter... how to use insta filters. Etc.
Jun 12, 2009
936 posts
353 upvotes
Computer Science implies code, as in learn how to code with Python object oriented language.

Everything else belongs to Business Studies and Information Technology where kids learn various applications, social media, research techniques, keyboarding and such.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1568 posts
205 upvotes
Markham, ON
Too bad social media wasn't really developed by the computer science people when I was a student.

Now all these messed up social media users who were never schooled to properly use them.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1568 posts
205 upvotes
Markham, ON
This may be a not smart questiont but how many school do like computer testing now? As in students writing exams on the computer?

It's hard to know who is cheating, if the person is writing remotely.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1500 upvotes
Montreal
what, the heck is your point of this post OP. You are all over the place. I have no clue what your point is, or the direction of your thread.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1568 posts
205 upvotes
Markham, ON
neverhaveiever wrote: what, the heck is your point of this post OP. You are all over the place. I have no clue what your point is, or the direction of your thread.
To generate discussion. I am just typing thought that come up which are triggered by what others have posted after my first post.

I don't know what they cover in computer class now, I am not in grade 8 and the technology has improved so much. It's pretty but is it necessary?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 17, 2013
5120 posts
1500 upvotes
Montreal
Poppwl wrote: To generate discussion. I am just typing thought that come up which are triggered by what others have posted after my first post.

I don't know what they cover in computer class now, I am not in grade 8 and the technology has improved so much. It's pretty but is it necessary?
But then you go in about testing on computers, completely different turn into social media. Have a clear path and follow it...or the thread just makes no sense.

Anyways. In my day we had Tech Ed, which was computer class. We basically just played Wolfenstein the whole time.