Careers

graduated with a degree in Statistics..and where are you working now ?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 25th, 2009 9:34 pm
[OP]
May 7, 2008
49 posts
Toronto

graduated with a degree in Statistics..and where are you working now ?

Hi guys ,

Im in a third year Statistics student and I will be entering my last year this fall. I came across this board and found that it has a quite diverse student background , so I was wondering , if you guys could tell me more about your career path . For those who have work experience, may you share your experience , how you got there , what you do , what part of your job do you like or dislike ? I also heard that it is way easier to find a job with a graduate degree in Statitistics than just a bachelor , is it true ?
26 replies
Mar 1, 2005
676 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto
I know 2 guys with stats bachelor degrees and they're both derivatives traders. But people with history degrees are in trading.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2004
2032 posts
178 upvotes
Live AT, Work FL, Ho…
My gf's a grad
got there: internship first, then permanent
work: one of Germany's largest banks, doing credit ratings on commercial firms
like: working with lots of numbers, lots of seminars (new rating methods, programs, etc.), above average pay
dislikes: sometime long hours, mostly men

And you're entirely right, a Master's level will take you much further. All her manager superiors have a Master of Mathematics or a PhD.

You should know that it's a very specialized field so the premium that employers pay for your work will be up to 20% higher than work in a general discipline (ie general marketing, general HR, etc.). If it's possible, work first and then have your firm sponsor you for graduate school.

Best of luck.
[OP]
May 7, 2008
49 posts
Toronto
Thats one tough road, given all the test you need to pass to become an actuary , its almost like doing a master degree :cheesygri and all those formulas and number crunching just wasnt it for me , Im actually more of a technical person , I like solving problems and programming . I also learned about SAS at Uni. , and I really wish to make use of that .
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2004
2032 posts
178 upvotes
Live AT, Work FL, Ho…
masterinex wrote: I also learned about SAS at Uni. , and I really wish to make use of that .
That's one of the applications the bank uses uses for commercial ratings. No clue what it does, but you probably have a edge vs other candidates that don't know it.
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2008
1838 posts
197 upvotes
masterinex wrote: Thats one tough road, given all the test you need to pass to become an actuary , its almost like doing a master degree :cheesygri and all those formulas and number crunching just wasnt it for me , Im actually more of a technical person , I like solving problems and programming . I also learned about SAS at Uni. , and I really wish to make use of that .
Knowledge in SAS/SQL is extremely valuable in the real world. You will not have difficulty getting a job with a bachelor's degree in stats with solid programming knowledge. I'd apply to any business analyst jobs, economic consulting jobs, statistician/econometrician jobs. After working a couple of years you can go back and get your Masters in either Stats or Math or Econ. Good luck!
[OP]
May 7, 2008
49 posts
Toronto
First of all , thanks for the insight guys , it really helps.
My problem is that I dun have the technical skills , eg computer languages such as SQL , Oracle ,BI , the only thing we touched on was SAS . I really should have combined Stats with Comp Sci , but its too late I guess. I was wondering if there there are other programms that train you to become a Business Analyst . Also most of the jobs posted are looking for 2-3 years experience related to an industry . How I get these ? Any good places with entry level jobs ?
[OP]
May 7, 2008
49 posts
Toronto
I have been looking for a free version of SQL , but no luck , guess mySQL is not the choice
Jun 6, 2009
27 posts
Stats canada always comes to uni. job fairs looking to recruit students with math or stats degrees
Aug 30, 2008
133 posts
3 upvotes
Market research firms are always looking for number people. Pay certainly isn't up there with the finance sector, but it's varied work and you will pick up some good skills.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2008
1313 posts
127 upvotes
I am currently interning for a bank 's marketing team and I am going into 4th year majoring in stats and econ for my undergrad after this summer, SAS is the key tools they use here for customer info analysis, so you are on definitly ahead of the comp., I just wished that I picked up SAS earlier.
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2005
1369 posts
31 upvotes
Scarborough
Yea SAS + Stats is key to getting any type of banking job related to Stats.

One of the biggest roadblock is getting your own data or understanding the data element. ie querying with SQL programming.

Once you get pass the data elements then you can do stats with SAS. They made it easier now with Enterprise Guide for newbies.

If you really want to do the grunt work from beginning to end then
1. Learn sql query language so you can pull your own data without relying on someone
2.Understand the data element
3.Apply Stats thru SAS enterprise guide

Good Luck..
Aug 30, 2008
133 posts
3 upvotes
OT, but I'm curious. How different is the SAS statistical package from SPSS?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2008
1313 posts
127 upvotes
yea I am using Enterprise Guide at work right now instead of base SAS which is just pure programming (almost) so SAS and Stats major combination is gold as the previous poster said, I have not able to link my school learning on a higher degree and use it in SAS yet , but i am getting there, from what i heard SPSS its not too far from SAS, and honestly I personally find all the programming language somewhat similar, as long as you developed your programming logic , you should not have much trouble learning a new language, but i could be wrong i only barely know like one programming language. :cheesygri
[OP]
May 7, 2008
49 posts
Toronto
thanks alot for the input guys , I thought this thread will be going docile , but now It is really picking it up. Its always nice to hear success stories , really cheers you up . Im thinking to get into SQL , really dun much about it . Are there any good private colleges which teach those courses ?

To fulltimeIT , how did you found out about your job , what is the jobtitle and what other skills are they looking for ? And how is the job environment ? Isnt it stressful to do nonstop programming and learn new languages ? Im also curious about when you mentioned that your school experience didnt really help you , what we have done so far is all SAS and SAS enterprise guide is totally new to me , I also dun have a major in economics . could that be another roadblock ?
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2008
1838 posts
197 upvotes
Navvy wrote: OT, but I'm curious. How different is the SAS statistical package from SPSS?
SPSS is more comparable to Stata (another stats package) than SAS. both SPSS and STATA have easy enough point & click functions and are used frequently in social science programs (can get around with no programming, tho you still can). not to mention these programs aren't insanely expensive as SAS.

in university there aren't many courses that use/teach SAS (imo), maybe a data mining course or two.. it is difficult to learn on your own because it's expensive (unless you can get an illegal version but then, it's illegal). also, if you have no programming background then the syntax and what not may take some time getting used to.. as far as i know people use SAS to clean up large, dirty data and do stats on another statistical package (e.g. stata) - easier and more convenient to do stats analyses on other programs out there
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2008
1838 posts
197 upvotes
masterinex wrote: thanks alot for the input guys , I thought this thread will be going docile , but now It is really picking it up. Its always nice to hear success stories , really cheers you up . Im thinking to get into SQL , really dun much about it . Are there any good private colleges which teach those courses ?

To fulltimeIT , how did you found out about your job , what is the jobtitle and what other skills are they looking for ? And how is the job environment ? Isnt it stressful to do nonstop programming and learn new languages ? Im also curious about when you mentioned that your school experience didnt really help you , what we have done so far is all SAS and SAS enterprise guide is totally new to me , I also dun have a major in economics . could that be another roadblock ?
i'm sure it's out there, but they are quite expensive.. less formally, i know that University of Toronto holds about 5 sessions on introduction to SAS (if you live in toronto, it's an option). i paid around $65 per session (but this price is only good for UofT faculty, staff, and graduate students), all others pay a bit more i think. i have not looked into other universities but i'm guessing they would also have similar types of workshops as well. it is probably not as in depth as say, paying a couple thousand bucks and attending workshops/courses offered by professional consulting companies, but still gives you an idea...

ps.. if you are still in uni, taking some economics courses on top of math/stat would always help..
[OP]
May 7, 2008
49 posts
Toronto
Yes , leoben , I'm in Toronto now and I didn't know much about the workshops at UofT .Thanks for bringing it up, I will definitely will look into. How much did the workshops prepare for your job?

On the flip side, I'm also thinking of taking the course called SQL Development to brush up my database knowledge at a private career college called Victoria College. I'm not sure if that's the right course to take if I want go into Data Analysis. They also have a course in SAS . Both courses last 60 hrs and cost around a thousand bucks. Is the money worth it ?
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2008
1838 posts
197 upvotes
depends on how much you want to learn this and why. if you are dead set on becoming a data mining sort of person and you love working with data, and you have the money, go for it. it will def. give you an edge over other job applicants.