• Last Updated:
  • Sep 19th, 2021 1:32 am
[OP]
Dec 7, 2009
175 posts
17 upvotes
Edmonton

Grand Canyon from Vegas or PHX?

We will be flying to Vegas from Oct 28-31 and debating of whether to visit GCNP or not. Is it more scenic to drive GCNP from PHX or Vegas and save it for another trip and focus more on LV? This is gonna be our first time visiting Vegas.

Thank you
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9535 posts
2153 upvotes
Somewhere
I've been there from both places, it will take 1 whole day to get there and return. You'll realistically only spend about 2-3 hours there tops.

My advice is if you really want to take in GCNP in all it's glory and not just take a few pix from the visitor centre, fly into Phoenix. Spend a night or two in Sedona. Then drive up and spend a night or two inside GCNP itself.
:confused:
Mar 6, 2018
176 posts
112 upvotes
Done the drive from both LV and PHX. You can't go wrong if you love driving in the open desert environment. From LV it takes longer but the open road I find great and soothing. From PHX, like the above poster mentioned, you could visit Sedona and have a drive to GC that takes half of the time. You SHOULD absolutely spend minimum one night in GC to appreciate a faction of its beauty but seeing you are short on time I would stay in Vegas and take in as much as you can.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
9595 posts
1567 upvotes
Montreal, QC
The Grand Canyon is...well big so there's technically 3 "sides" of it. The side closest to Vegas is the West Rim, which is around 1h30 from LV but it's inside a native reserve. This is the entrance with the glass bridge. The largest entrance is the South Rim which is around 4h30 away from LV or around 4h from PHX. This is the better entrance if you want the sweeping views, but it's very far for a day trip. North Rim is the most secluded entrance visitors-wise but also even more of a drive.

If it's your first time in Vegas you may want to stay in the city and do what you can there as going outside to visit the landscapes (although amazingly beautiful) is a pretty big time commitment.

I would pocket a separate trip if you want to see the sights outside the city once you're "done" experiencing LV...that's what I just did. It took me 4 days to visit a bunch of natural landscapes I wanted to visit from LV (Grand Canyon, Antelope Canyon, Horseshoe Bend, Bryce Canyon, Death Valley) and even then I just scratched the surface and plan on going back some day to go more in-depth.
[OP]
Dec 7, 2009
175 posts
17 upvotes
Edmonton
We were only planning to visit the south rim and take a little hike to get some nice pictures and back to LV, but it seems saving it for another trip to PHX would be more reasonable. Thank you all for your inputs!
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2016
2160 posts
3236 upvotes
IIRC it was a 4 hour drive from Vegas. Its quite the experience going from a city to nowhere w/ nothing except for a place called Gus' Beef Jerky in the middle of who knows where.
I'd recommend an SUV rental.
Deal Addict
May 28, 2009
1429 posts
421 upvotes
Ottawa
as others have mentioned do it on one day is really stretching it. we did the drive from LV and stopped at Hoover dam and went on a tour. drove to various places like williams and spent the night in Flagstaff and tour Grand canyon the the next day. we went south after it and didnt return to LV.
Aug 5, 2007
197 posts
139 upvotes
Just did GC West Rim from Las Vegas in a day trip, the food there was surprisingly decent. Rented a mustang GT and it was fun. Stopped at Hoover dam too
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4858 posts
3127 upvotes
LaLaLand
A Grand Canyon helicopter tour from Las Vegas might be doable if you're short of time.

If it's your first time and only there for four days I personally would spend all the time in Las Vegas. There are nice places to visit such as Red Rock Canyon, Valley of Fire National park or Hoover dam that are much closer.
Apr 20, 2009
333 posts
74 upvotes
batcave wrote: A Grand Canyon helicopter tour from Las Vegas might be doable if you're short of time.
I concur, take the helicopter ride. Lots of companies in Vegas offer packages with every budget. Maverick and Papillon are two of the better known companies.

Car rental prices are still sky high.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12066 posts
4372 upvotes
Toronto
batcave wrote: A Grand Canyon helicopter tour from Las Vegas might be doable if you're short of time.

If it's your first time and only there for four days I personally would spend all the time in Las Vegas. There are nice places to visit such as Red Rock Canyon, Valley of Fire National park or Hoover dam that are much closer.
Agree, not worth to go spent whole day there and that is a busy tiring day.

We rented a car and drove there and back same day, it was so tiring, the place is nice and unique, it is cool if you spent a week there, but 4 days is barely enough to play around Vegas.

Hover Dam is also nice, and shorter in distance. We got a groupon deal for a trip for 2 for 99$ US at Hoover Dam including bus ride and ticket to go down to the bottom of the dam.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
16070 posts
4640 upvotes
Scarberia
car rental still high in vegas now? will it go down in jan of 2022? tia
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Aug 5, 2007
197 posts
139 upvotes
mikka2017 wrote: car rental still high in vegas now? will it go down in jan of 2022? tia
i rented a mustang gt off turo for like $200 usd for the day.