• Mar 9th, 2009 6:52 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 4, 2004
9 posts
2 upvotes

Grand Catering - Jacky Young - Chinese Food for Wedding

I know there's a thread on Chinese wedding restaurants already however I'm looking for reviews from people who've attended weddings catered by Grand Catering (Jacky Young).

We're looking to use him as a caterer and would like your comments on the quality, quantity, service of his food. Your over all experience and any tips on what I could negotiate with him on in terms of price, etc.

Thanks.
3 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2004
3489 posts
178 upvotes
Toronto
check your other thread I made a post there.

From what I know Jacky is the largest Chinese caterer in Toronto. He comes highly recommended from quite a few halls. In fact some of them will only allow him when it comes to Chinese cuisine.

Some halls I looked at have set menus with him.

I would recommend going to him first to discuss your needs. After I told him what I was looking for (Half chinese, + prime rib from hall) he recommended me a few halls that are known for their quality.

I checked out the halls and he was bang on for his recommendations.

I believe you are able to negotiate menus with him. As in he's fairly flexible.
May 30, 2007
398 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
He's definitely flexible.

He has special "ins" with certain halls at certain times (ie he can get you special pricing). So some halls are easier to bargain with him on than others.

I'll be going to my first Jacky catered wedding July 11 this summer.

We were considering going with him but instead went with Dragon Dynasty at Atlantis. Price turned out to be very similar to one of Jacky's halls and location is not way up in Vaughan or Woodbridge.

When I went to sit down and talk pricing, the average cost turned out to be around $120-130/person after food, banquet hall costs, etc. This was before bargaining though.
[OP]
Nov 4, 2004
9 posts
2 upvotes
Dragon Dynasty is a bit more expensive without the negotiation compare to Jacky. Where you able to get Dragon Dynasty to lower their prices enough to compare to Jacky? Approx how much discount percentage?

Thanks.
imak wrote: He's definitely flexible.

He has special "ins" with certain halls at certain times (ie he can get you special pricing). So some halls are easier to bargain with him on than others.

I'll be going to my first Jacky catered wedding July 11 this summer.

We were considering going with him but instead went with Dragon Dynasty at Atlantis. Price turned out to be very similar to one of Jacky's halls and location is not way up in Vaughan or Woodbridge.

When I went to sit down and talk pricing, the average cost turned out to be around $120-130/person after food, banquet hall costs, etc. This was before bargaining though.