Personal Finance

Grandmother shocked by $1,400 in video games charges on her credit card that won't be refunded

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 19th, 2021 11:34 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
45876 posts
8866 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain

Grandmother shocked by $1,400 in video games charges on her credit card that won't be refunded

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/mobile/grand ... Il1xesjxxs

Grandma is shocked no one will give her a refund!!

Its one of those cases of “blame everyone but yourself”.
42 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4680 posts
3513 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote:

Its one of those cases of “blame everyone but yourself”.
That's harsh. I don't think that's a fair or accurate assessment of grandma or that situation.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2009
4005 posts
2882 upvotes
on the links
Why does being a grandmother make it somehow more sympathetic?

So you pop out a kid, who also pops out a kid and therefore you're absolved of all debts because of your stupidity. As a senior/boomer, this sort of story line makes me sad.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2007
8051 posts
5250 upvotes
Winnipeg
"he thought it was all free" LOL yeah right..
"An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail." -- Edward Land
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
20624 posts
7719 upvotes
Socially Distanced
In the old days video games cost a fixed amount, you didn't pay unlimited amounts of money for them.
This micro payment model is designed to fleece people and fleece it did :facepalm:
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburders eat people
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2016
1814 posts
1826 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Quentin5 wrote: In the old days video games cost a fixed amount, you didn't pay unlimited amounts of money for them.
This micro payment model is designed to fleece people and fleece it did :facepalm:
Had something similar happen to a family member whose kid linked the bank account to one of the popular video games and was wiped out thousands.

Kid denied it all saying that he never made those purchases to the parent. The parent at the end of day should know better than to give carte blanche to a kid.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1197 posts
911 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote: In the old days video games cost a fixed amount, you didn't pay unlimited amounts of money for them.
Yep... all these "free" games and apps. Gotta pay to win and get that good ingame fashion.

I think that sadder part is that a lot of school boards use a lot of freemium games for math and other stuff. All the basics are free, but if you kids wants to level up faster, or get access to the other 80% of content, etc etc, you better fork over some good money.
Mar 23, 2004
43548 posts
9378 upvotes
Markham
I feel bad for the grandma, but those are legit charges so...she needs to pay for them. However, I feel Sony should have at least throw her a bone and say give her a 25-50% discount.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2009
1188 posts
801 upvotes
This was her fault for giving the kid the info and not supervising, there's no way she should get a refund. I'm glad she isn't getting a refund.

Bet the kid is lying about thinking stuff was free. Kid knew the stuff cost money but wasn't really paying attention or thinking about the total cost. Clicked yes to a bunch of things without realizing it was $1400 worth, then plays dumb when the bill comes.

Hope she makes some sacrifices and pays the bill or makes the kid get a job to pay the bill like they're mentioning. People should not get refunds for poor decisions and bad judgement. Hope they both learn a lesson about money.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
11273 posts
9774 upvotes
LOL Sony doesnt care or will bend to media pressure... i mean what are you going to do boycott Sony? LOL
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1538 posts
1836 upvotes
BC
Duh...never link a credit card to anything that doesn't require your authorization... let alone one that a kid can get access to. Not just games but Amazon, Video on Demand, etc.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
11273 posts
9774 upvotes
Grandma probably owns a 2 million dollar bungelow... she'll be fine
Nov 25, 2018
8 posts
6 upvotes
Is not Sony's fault and is not the grandma's fault. Just make the grandson work and pay for it.
Nov 25, 2003
594 posts
302 upvotes
BC [what me worry?]
Take the grandson's PlayStation and sell it to help pay for the bill.
Last edited by 1st timer on Mar 18th, 2021 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
I've been away for a while....
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2012
1026 posts
448 upvotes
Trois-Rivières, QC
"I'm just heartbroken and Visa said they can't do anything, because I’m the one that put the credit card into the system," Liscoumb said
Her beef is with her credit card issuer (Scotiabank, RBC, TD, CIBC...), not with Visa (the payment network). I'm amazed at the number of people who confuse them both.

P.S. I used to confuse them too... but that was before I got my first credit card.
Aug 30, 2020
872 posts
1299 upvotes
YEG/YYZ
No disrespect to Pat Foran, but why is this crap making headlines and not the thread in automotive about downtown hyundai? I'm sure a dumb kid might have actually thought it was free, but no excuses for an adult with a fully developed brain to trust a kid with a credit card. I wouldn't trust a kid with a $50 bill.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
3705 posts
2367 upvotes
Edmonton
CanadianConsumerYEG wrote: No disrespect to Pat Foran, but why is this crap making headlines and not the thread in automotive about downtown hyundai? I'm sure a dumb kid might have actually thought it was free, but no excuses for an adult with a fully developed brain to trust a kid with a credit card. I wouldn't trust a kid with a $50 bill.
Simple answer. They’re playing two cards here: grandma and kid. Downtown Hyundai doesn’t have any key cards like this.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
3705 posts
2367 upvotes
Edmonton
pbluescript wrote: Is not Sony's fault and is not the grandma's fault. Just make the grandson work and pay for it.
Of course it’s grandma’s fault for giving access to her credit card to a kid.
Nov 25, 2003
594 posts
302 upvotes
BC [what me worry?]
CanadianConsumerYEG wrote: No disrespect to Pat Foran, but why is this crap making headlines and not the thread in automotive about downtown hyundai? I'm sure a dumb kid might have actually thought it was free, but no excuses for an adult with a fully developed brain to trust a kid with a credit card. I wouldn't trust a kid with a $50 bill.
I'd have alot more sympathy if the grandson was like 5 years old. The age limit for criminal prosecution for a child in Canada is 12 I think. This person is 13, he should know better. Get his dad or mother to pay for the bill.
I've been away for a while....
Jul 8, 2018
64 posts
53 upvotes
GTA
Don't give children unfettered access to credit cards.