• Mar 25th, 2019 11:48 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2009
1487 posts
563 upvotes
Hamilton

Granite recommendations for small job

Finishing my basement and I need one 6ft granite countertop. I live in Hamilton and all of the places I visited were in the same range. $850 or so installed, etc.

I asked for off cuts and they all basically said they would do a higher grade off cut at the grade 1 price. So regardless, $850 or so for about 74 inches with a sink cutout. Etc.

Anyone recommend a place that would do this cheaper?
11 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1329 posts
768 upvotes
What is the for? A bar? Bathroom vanity? I put in a bar in my basement and bought a higher quality laminate countertop and people compliment on it. Little do they know it costed me less than $100.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2009
1487 posts
563 upvotes
Hamilton
fusion2k2k wrote:
Mar 18th, 2019 9:32 am
What is the for? A bar? Bathroom vanity? I put in a bar in my basement and bought a higher quality laminate countertop and people compliment on it. Little do they know it costed me less than $100.
Sorry its for a wetbar. Laminate is not an option.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1329 posts
768 upvotes
CaptainCrash wrote:
Mar 18th, 2019 11:05 am
Sorry its for a wetbar. Laminate is not an option.
Mine is a wet bar as well. People have been using laminate countertops for kitchens for years. But I agree, granite is nice.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2005
1517 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
fusion2k2k wrote:
Mar 18th, 2019 9:32 am
I have the same dilemma as the OP. Do you have any pictures of the laminate? Where did you get it?
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1329 posts
768 upvotes
anom wrote:
Mar 18th, 2019 11:28 am
I have the same dilemma as the OP. Do you have any pictures of the laminate? Where did you get it?
I think it was Lowes, off the shelf. Cut it, toss it in, went pretty well. Can't seem to upload pics.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2009
1487 posts
563 upvotes
Hamilton
fusion2k2k wrote:
Mar 18th, 2019 11:45 am
I think it was Lowes, off the shelf. Cut it, toss it in, went pretty well. Can't seem to upload pics.
Lowe's has some nice laminate. So does Ikea. Problem is the finishes in my basement are quite high end. For what we've spent my wife isn't buying the laminate argument. I'm now contemplating wood.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2005
1517 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
CaptainCrash wrote:
Mar 18th, 2019 11:58 am
Lowe's has some nice laminate. So does Ikea. Problem is the finishes in my basement are quite high end. For what we've spent my wife isn't buying the laminate argument. I'm now contemplating wood.
We have the same problem. After spending so much on renovations, even for just the basement, it seems like a shame to "cheap out" for this item that is ~$1k.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
6465 posts
1810 upvotes
Markham
If you don't have anything where you're building the wetbar, you could buy "used" from a Habitat re-store or even Kijiji. Lot of people rip things out and they just want to get rid of it. If you're lucky someone might be tearing out a wetbar and you can take the whole she'bang for little $.

Quick search on Kijiji

For sale Granite counter top for bar or kitchen island or whatever project you want, finished edges on all sides. Sorry for the pictures, it's hard to take cause it reflects light. But the Granite is very beautiful.
Dimensions 40cm x 158cm
Sell for $200 firm
Pick up in Mississauga

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-renovation-cabi ... nFlag=true

or this.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-tv-table-entert ... nFlag=true
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
1789 posts
812 upvotes
Alliston, ON
Can you pick up and install the counter yourself? $2-300 of that price is probably for the delivery/install. When I did my laundry room they wanted $300 just to deliver and install 2 pieces.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
2322 posts
306 upvotes
Ancaster
CaptainCrash wrote:
Mar 18th, 2019 8:40 am
Finishing my basement and I need one 6ft granite countertop. I live in Hamilton and all of the places I visited were in the same range. $850 or so installed, etc.

I asked for off cuts and they all basically said they would do a higher grade off cut at the grade 1 price. So regardless, $850 or so for about 74 inches with a sink cutout. Etc.

Anyone recommend a place that would do this cheaper?
Check out Deluxe Granite in Stoney Creek. I bought a small piece of quartz from them for a ensuite shower seat at a decent price. They had a decent selection of remnants.

https://www.de-luxegranite.com/