Tags:
[OP]
Feb 27, 2017
119 posts
98 upvotes
Winnipeg

Which Grass Seed to get

Hello ...
I am trying to fix my lawn which was devastated by grub worms last year. Almost 70% of the grass is dead and that resulted in a whole crop of weed popping up. Finally killed all those weeds (PAR 3) , bought an electric dethatcher to rip out most of the dead grass/weeds and now almost ready to seed the lawn. Having never bought grass seed before, I really have no clue what to look for, all I can find now is the Scott's seeds and that's what I was going to buy but online reviews are either extremely positive or very negative, that and the fact that there are like a dozen or more Scott's seed varieties , has me very confused. The only other option would be to perhaps find bulk seeds at garden centers I believe.
I would be most obliged if I can be guided in this matter..maybe there are other options that I am not even aware of. Thank you
26 replies
Jan 22, 2012
601 posts
222 upvotes
Bradford
I purchased grass seed this year from TSC. It came in an unlabelled white bag with a piece of paper stapled on as a label. It’s a mix of different seeds.
It’s been the best one I have ever bought. Kept it watered and it germinated in a few days.
Mar 3, 2004
343 posts
80 upvotes
Brampton
I've had relatively good success in the past with : Scott's coated grass seed.

@krazykh I have a very similar issue where I've been fighting cinch bugs this year and it's decimated my backyard. Like you, I've dethached and killed the weeds. Did you aerate as well? I haven't aerated yet as I'm not sure if it's necessary. What do you plan to use for top soil? I was thinking of getting a cubic yard of HD top soil and putting starter fertilizer down with the seeds.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
1841 posts
2117 upvotes
West GTA
Personally, having gone through a lot of overseeds, this fall I'm just going to get a high-end ryegrass blend. It germinates in a week or less and establishes quickly, plus it looks quite good. Using kentucky bluegrass in an overseed is a nightmare unless you're mostly filling bare spots - it takes forever to germinate, then forever to get established, typically getting beaten by existing grass. Fine fescue is really more for light to moderate shade. I guess you could use tall fescue. I just don't want to bother with a few weeks of watering a few times a day, which is what KBG needs, and I'm willing to take the minor appearance hit (which isn't even true, really - modern ryegrass looks awesome and it greens up and stays green for months longer than KBG). Speare Seeds sells a couple, OSC sells their Evolution Ryegrass blend, and there are another few rye-dominant blends here and there.
Apr 10, 2019
453 posts
898 upvotes
Ottawa
I’ve always had the best luck with a blend from any local turf farm. They’re in the grass growing business so they know exactly what works best for your area. I don’t know how those generic blends (ie Scotts, CiL. Etc) Can have the same result or be the best for every canadian region from coast to coast.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4862 posts
2984 upvotes
Depending how bad it was, it might even be worth the money to just re-sod the whole thing.

Best to talk to local experts because it's a bit climate sensitive and could be a waste of money if you choose the wrong seeds, wrong soil and wrong time.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
16986 posts
1808 upvotes
Thornhill
I've had best success with Scotts coated as well. Just because I'm too lazy to be capable of consistent watering.

Previously I did some shade-compatible seed and the lawn looks like crap because those are so wiry and were noticeably different than the rest of the lawn.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
4867 posts
2161 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
I need to fix some patches in my yard and was wondering when will be the time to start on that. I still get 30+ degree days often so should I be waiting until later to begin the project?
Apr 10, 2019
453 posts
898 upvotes
Ottawa
ChicoQuente wrote: I need to fix some patches in my yard and was wondering when will be the time to start on that. I still get 30+ degree days often so should I be waiting until later to begin the project?
September long weekend.
Apr 28, 2013
159 posts
34 upvotes
Brampton
Topher86 wrote: I purchased grass seed this year from TSC. It came in an unlabelled white bag with a piece of paper stapled on as a label. It’s a mix of different seeds.
It’s been the best one I have ever bought. Kept it watered and it germinated in a few days.

Hi would you happen to know which bag you got I am also interested in purchasing from tsc thanks
Jan 22, 2012
601 posts
222 upvotes
Bradford
unleashedponie wrote: Hi would you happen to know which bag you got I am also interested in purchasing from tsc thanks
I got the coated turf seed.
It’s a mixture of Kentucky bluegrass, fescue, perennial rye grass. It’s done really well. I also bought their fertilizer.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2003
2454 posts
396 upvotes
North York
The bag of Scott's coated shade seed I bought this year had really poor germination, and due to covid it got far more watering then it would normally get. The three year old open bag of the same stuff, that I used in the backyard was much better, but still in the fair-poor germination range.
[OP]
Feb 27, 2017
119 posts
98 upvotes
Winnipeg
Topher86 wrote: I purchased grass seed this year from TSC. It came in an unlabelled white bag with a piece of paper stapled on as a label. It’s a mix of different seeds.
Don't have TSC here in Winnipeg I belive, online orderiing is an option though. Thank you for the recommendation
wrcfocus wrote:
@krazykh I have a very similar issue where I've been fighting cinch bugs this year and it's decimated my backyard. Like you, I've dethached and killed the weeds. Did you aerate as well? I haven't aerated yet as I'm not sure if it's necessary. What do you plan to use for top soil? I was thinking of getting a cubic yard of HD top soil and putting starter fertilizer down with the seeds.
I did not aerate as the lawn is only around 2 years old and rarely anyone ever walks on it so I don't think it would be that compacted. As for topsoil, to be honest, I was planning on just skipping it altogether and just raking the seeds into the existing soil along with some starter fertilizer , would that work ? or is it a must to have fresh soil with new seeds . Just the thought of all that shoveling and wheel-barrowing makes my back start to ache Disappointed But Relieved Face
grumble wrote: Personally, having gone through a lot of overseeds, this fall I'm just going to get a high-end ryegrass blend. It germinates in a week or less and establishes quickly, plus it looks quite good. Using kentucky bluegrass in an overseed is a nightmare unless you're mostly filling bare spots - it takes forever to germinate, then forever to get established, typically getting beaten by existing grass. Fine fescue is really more for light to moderate shade. I guess you could use tall fescue. I just don't want to bother with a few weeks of watering a few times a day, which is what KBG needs, and I'm willing to take the minor appearance hit (which isn't even true, really - modern ryegrass looks awesome and it greens up and stays green for months longer than KBG). Speare Seeds sells a couple, OSC sells their Evolution Ryegrass blend, and there are another few rye-dominant blends here and there.
Thank you for your recommendation. After reading your comment, I did some more research and I feel like I would be better off with a Perennial Ryegrass lawn instead of KBG. I don't want to get a mix as I want a single shade of green hopefully. Also, I don't think I can water the lawn constantly for a month waiting for KBG to sprout..So that seems to be the plan for now atleast
Mar 14, 2018
644 posts
638 upvotes
Question regarding getting seeds blends. My recently installed sod is KBG. Should I stick to KGB for overseeding and spot treatment or should I just get mixtures? If I use mixtures, will the color be inconsistent? Will one type start dominating over time?

Related, where could I buy just the KGB seeds in GTA?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
6248 posts
4736 upvotes
ChicoQuente wrote: I need to fix some patches in my yard and was wondering when will be the time to start on that. I still get 30+ degree days often so should I be waiting until later to begin the project?
Grass germinate between 16°C - 26 °C. It is still too hot. There is no issue doing it now, but it won't germinate and seeds Will be eaten by the birds before reaching an approriate temp for germination
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2389 posts
1615 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
krazykh wrote: Don't have TSC here in Winnipeg I belive, online orderiing is an option though. Thank you for the recommendation
It is now called Peavey Mart after the buyout. You have two locations in Winnipeg.
#1 - “Don’t irritate old people. The older they get, the less “Life in prison” is a deterrent."
#2 - Are you a Sexual Intellect? /S - What you post in this thread may determine that.
Jan 11, 2007
495 posts
99 upvotes
GTA
clutch31 wrote: Question regarding getting seeds blends. My recently installed sod is KBG. Should I stick to KGB for overseeding and spot treatment or should I just get mixtures? If I use mixtures, will the color be inconsistent? Will one type start dominating over time?
I have the same question. New sod. Stick with KBG or go with a seed blend for overseeding? If a seed blend, what proportion and seed types are best to also keep a uniform colour?
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
1841 posts
2117 upvotes
West GTA
slinger99 wrote: I have the same question. New sod. Stick with KBG or go with a seed blend for overseeding? If a seed blend, what proportion and seed types are best to also keep a uniform colour?
If you have a healthy KBG lawn, no need to overseed it. It spreads on its own, so should maintain solid density as long as conditions are right for it:

- Well fertilized
- Well watered
- Regularly cut (the more often the better)
- No soil issues like serious compaction, thick thatch, pH
- KBG likes sunlight

Generally for small holes the lawn fills in on its own over time. For large holes, you can use straight KBG but it's complicated by two things: first, KBG is a total pain to seed since it takes forever to get going, and second there are so many types of KBG that you might end up with a differently coloured patch anyways because it's a different variety of it. You can often buy the KBG blend the sod farm uses if you know who supplied it so it'd match.

For the question you replied to, if you use mixtures then the colour is consistent because the grass is all mixed up. Mixtures do tend to have one type dominate another over time, which is a feature and not a bug. For example, fine fescue can handle more shade than bluegrass - so if you use your grass seed where it's sunny the bluegrass does better, and if you do it where it's shady then the fine fescue does better, and in the middle it kind of just gently transitions. If you overseed into an existing lawn then you'd be applying a uniform layer, thicking it up with even colour. The only time I wouldn't do that is if you're filling patches and use something really high end (or a weird type of grass), simply because that patch would be different and you might have it show.

Personally, I like a blend instead of straight bluegrass for a few reasons: first, it's more adaptable to light and conditions. Second, it's more disease and insect resistant. Third, in Canada this matters - it greens up earlier and stays green later. I have a northern mix lawn with a straight bluegrass boulevard and the lawn greens up over a month before the boulevard really gets going, and stays awake longer too. I have to admit though, when a straight bluegrass lawn has all it needs and the conditions are right, it really does look amazing.
Mar 14, 2018
644 posts
638 upvotes
grumble wrote: If you have a healthy KBG lawn, no need to overseed it. It spreads on its own, so should maintain solid density as long as conditions are right for it:

- Well fertilized
- Well watered
- Regularly cut (the more often the better)
- No soil issues like serious compaction, thick thatch, pH
- KBG likes sunlight

Generally for small holes the lawn fills in on its own over time. For large holes, you can use straight KBG but it's complicated by two things: first, KBG is a total pain to seed since it takes forever to get going, and second there are so many types of KBG that you might end up with a differently coloured patch anyways because it's a different variety of it. You can often buy the KBG blend the sod farm uses if you know who supplied it so it'd match.

For the question you replied to, if you use mixtures then the colour is consistent because the grass is all mixed up. Mixtures do tend to have one type dominate another over time, which is a feature and not a bug. For example, fine fescue can handle more shade than bluegrass - so if you use your grass seed where it's sunny the bluegrass does better, and if you do it where it's shady then the fine fescue does better, and in the middle it kind of just gently transitions. If you overseed into an existing lawn then you'd be applying a uniform layer, thicking it up with even colour. The only time I wouldn't do that is if you're filling patches and use something really high end (or a weird type of grass), simply because that patch would be different and you might have it show.

Personally, I like a blend instead of straight bluegrass for a few reasons: first, it's more adaptable to light and conditions. Second, it's more disease and insect resistant. Third, in Canada this matters - it greens up earlier and stays green later. I have a northern mix lawn with a straight bluegrass boulevard and the lawn greens up over a month before the boulevard really gets going, and stays awake longer too. I have to admit though, when a straight bluegrass lawn has all it needs and the conditions are right, it really does look amazing.
Thanks, this is all great info. One question I have. So there are some small parts of my lawn (right beside the pavers) that have seemed to have developed a lot of thatch and new grass is not coming up. Do I just dethatch those areas and new grass will eventually emerge?

Another problem area on my lawn is where it gets only 1-2 hours of sunlight. The grass is really thin/bare. So I guess it's better to seed dense shade seeds there instead of sticking to KBG?
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
21942 posts
10464 upvotes
Toronto
I buy the cheapo stuff from Walmart. I can't remember the brand. It works as well as anything else that costs a whole lot more.
Koodo $40/6GB
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank, EQ Bank, Simplii