• Last Updated:
  • Jul 13th, 2017 12:56 am
Tags:
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
6724 posts
3691 upvotes
There's only one brand of trimmer I would consider - Stihl
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10303 posts
10500 upvotes
Toronto
Echo SRM-225

You cannot go wrong. Like a tank. You can get it at HD. Stihl will work, too. Every other brand is garbage.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11479 posts
6660 upvotes
Paris
Anikiri wrote: Echo SRM-225

You cannot go wrong. Like a tank. You can get it at HD. Stihl will work, too. Every other brand is garbage.
I agree. If price is an issue get a 40v brushless Ryobi though as second best.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 23, 2009
1778 posts
774 upvotes
I love my Honda 35cc trimmer. Awesome, starts every time with one pull. Like others said, get Stihl or Honda 25 cc (a lighter version). Bit pricey but will last you life time. You can buy Honda only at the dealership. Box stores don't carry these.

Whatever you buy, buy the one that landscaping companies use.
Anikiri wrote: Echo SRM-225

You cannot go wrong. Like a tank. You can get it at HD. Stihl will work, too. Every other brand is garbage.
Why do you want to climb Mt. Everest, Sir? - Because it is there.

— George Leigh Mallory
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11479 posts
6660 upvotes
Paris
ruchir wrote: Whatever you buy, buy the one that landscaping companies use.
Ok, that advice I don't agree with. I worked for a major manufacturer who sold equipment to landscapers and some of that equipment is built for very high use with the intention that the equipment is toast in 4-5 years. So when homeowners bought it they were not prepared for the upkeep on the equipment and the equipment wasn't built for long long term occasional use. Stuff like seals and other rubber parts would wear out from NON-use.

Ethanol sitting in fuel lines on a tool built for 6-8 hours of use a day just won't be good. I had a 15 year old pro trimmer that went down to Ethanol rotting it out. Ethanol sitting is the death of stuff. Had a snowmobile fuel line rot out in the tank.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 23, 2015
2286 posts
1623 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
plymouthhater wrote: There's only one brand of trimmer I would consider - Stihl
WRONG. Other brands are good too.
Anikiri wrote: Echo SRM-225

You cannot go wrong. Like a tank. You can get it at HD. Stihl will work, too. Every other brand is garbage.
WRONG. Other brands make good trimmers too.
ruchir wrote: Whatever you buy, buy the one that landscaping companies use.
WRONG. The landscaping companies have to deal with hundreds of lawns. If you're a residential home owner who only deals with your own lawn, there is no reason you need to spend top dollar on the very best when a lower end model will do everything you need it to do just as well. That's like saying you should buy an industrial size washing machine because that's what the hotels use.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
17619 posts
8299 upvotes
You have to decide what type of trimmer you want: electric, gas, or battery powered. It's silly to consider an Echo or Stihl if you just want a basic electric one.

In regards to the one you posted, it's a fine electric trimmer for the average home owner. I personally think it's a little expensive, but it will last you for many, many years.


You can always look on Kijiji for a used electric one. Many people upgrade their trimmers (because it is hard to wear them out) so they sell their own electric ones, which is what you seem to be looking for.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11479 posts
6660 upvotes
Paris
Always buying what the pro's buy is akin to wanting a pickup truck and being advised to buy a Semi-truck and trailer as it's what the pro's use.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11479 posts
6660 upvotes
Paris
BeapChastard wrote: WRONG. Other brands are good too.


WRONG. Other brands make good trimmers too.


WRONG. The landscaping companies have to deal with hundreds of lawns. If you're a residential home owner who only deals with your own lawn, there is no reason you need to spend top dollar on the very best when a lower end model will do everything you need it to do just as well. That's like saying you should buy an industrial size washing machine because that's what the hotels use.
All caps "WRONG"... Why not just tell the poster they are (Naughty word) dumb?
[OP]
Sr. Member
Oct 12, 2014
836 posts
135 upvotes
Ajax
TrevorK wrote: You have to decide what type of trimmer you want: electric, gas, or battery powered. It's silly to consider an Echo or Stihl if you just want a basic electric one.

In regards to the one you posted, it's a fine electric trimmer for the average home owner. I personally think it's a little expensive, but it will last you for many, many years.


You can always look on Kijiji for a used electric one. Many people upgrade their trimmers (because it is hard to wear them out) so they sell their own electric ones, which is what you seem to be looking for.
Looking for an electric one and as mentioned for the average residential home to cut the edges of grass near the side of the house that the lawn mower cannot reach.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
17619 posts
8299 upvotes
yellowlight18 wrote: Looking for an electric one and as mentioned for the average residential home to cut the edges of grass near the side of the house that the lawn mower cannot reach.
Here are a couple Walmart has on clearance and the website shows instock online:
4.4amp - $32 - https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/black-deck ... 0188673003
6.5amp - $36 - https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/black-deck ... 0188672970

I would look towards those as they are much cheaper (the $36 might even be the same one as you initially posted, I didn't check model numbers).

Those two are more than enough for a homeowner who is just looked to trim around the edges if they are willing to put up with an electrical cord.
Sr. Member
Mar 19, 2013
697 posts
212 upvotes
Prince Albert, Sask.
plymouthhater wrote: There's only one brand of trimmer I would consider - Stihl
Agree, mine is 20 years, works great.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 23, 2009
1778 posts
774 upvotes
BeapChastard wrote: WRONG. Other brands are good too.


WRONG. Other brands make good trimmers too.


WRONG. The landscaping companies have to deal with hundreds of lawns. If you're a residential home owner who only deals with your own lawn, there is no reason you need to spend top dollar on the very best when a lower end model will do everything you need it to do just as well. That's like saying you should buy an industrial size washing machine because that's what the hotels use.
Lol.....I didn't say buy industrial size. And your washing machine example doesn't fit here. I only meant buy a good quality trimmer that's all. Its not like landscaping companies ride tractors on your residential lawns. They use lighter machines which are no different in size and weight than what your typical box store sell. I don't like my Honda trimmer or mower for their gigantic industrial size (which they are not of course) but for better quality and reliability. The same reasons I buy a Toyota.

It's pain when these small engines don't start. Buying cheap is not always very wise. My Honda mower and trimmer start every time. I guess you never had your box store snow blower not start during a 30 cm snow storm.

Instead of just saying WRONG on every post, why don't you help OP with some constructive suggestions. Obviously, you know quite a bit about machines. I am sure a few suggestions about brands and model numbers you have used will be very helpful to the OP.
Last edited by ruchir on Jul 13th, 2017 12:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Why do you want to climb Mt. Everest, Sir? - Because it is there.

— George Leigh Mallory
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 23, 2009
1778 posts
774 upvotes
Jerico wrote: Ok, that advice I don't agree with. I worked for a major manufacturer who sold equipment to landscapers and some of that equipment is built for very high use with the intention that the equipment is toast in 4-5 years. So when homeowners bought it they were not prepared for the upkeep on the equipment and the equipment wasn't built for long long term occasional use. Stuff like seals and other rubber parts would wear out from NON-use.

Ethanol sitting in fuel lines on a tool built for 6-8 hours of use a day just won't be good. I had a 15 year old pro trimmer that went down to Ethanol rotting it out. Ethanol sitting is the death of stuff. Had a snowmobile fuel line rot out in the tank.
I don't disagree necessarily. I get a good use out of my machines so probably I am little biased. I also maintain my machines well. And not draining fuel is unpardonable. Commercial machines will last just fine if taken care of properly, even if not frequently used. I only put premium gas with minimum or no ethanol. I only use enough fuel for one time use. I use fresh gasoline every time I use the machine. And I never let gas sit in my machine. This are a few simple things I always ensure.

I like the fact that the commercial lawn mowers have aluminum decks so no rusting. I have been using mine for 15 years. It has paid for itself many time over. Used commercial Honda machine still sell for $300. How many people can say they used only one lawn mower all their life?
Why do you want to climb Mt. Everest, Sir? - Because it is there.

— George Leigh Mallory

Top