• Mar 20th, 2020 2:14 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3181 posts
1930 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON

Great Article on Social Distancing

This Washington Post article has a very informative graphic on the rate of a virus spread, and what control measures work best.
"This is math, not a prophesy"
The Washington Post- Flatten the Curve
34 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
6203 posts
618 upvotes
Toronto
If we can somehow get this through all the parents trying to arrange play dates for the next 3 weeks...
Apr 19, 2016
151 posts
96 upvotes
GTA, ontario
it is a great article. i've already sent it out.
please send this to everyone you know.
--- +++ There is a 255 character limit in signature +++ ---
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
14362 posts
2350 upvotes
MrFrugal1 wrote: This Washington Post article has a very informative graphic on the rate of a virus spread, and what control measures work best.
"This is math, not a prophesy"
The Washington Post- Flatten the Curve
The Washington Post article is total BS. Please do not buy into this non-sense. The outcome of this level of pandemic can have a multitude of connective results to other world illnesses.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3181 posts
1930 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
eldiablo wrote: The Washington Post article is total BS. Please do not buy into this non-sense. The outcome of this level of pandemic can have a multitude of connective results to other world illnesses.
Please elaborate.
Jun 11, 2006
339 posts
318 upvotes
Sorry if this is a hijack of your post, but does anyone know of any similar links but in (traditional) Chinese? I want to forward some links, but I can't read Chinese. Thanks much
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3181 posts
1930 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
stack1 wrote: Sorry if this is a hijack of your post, but does anyone know of any similar links but in (traditional) Chinese? I want to forward some links, but I can't read Chinese. Thanks much
You can try Reddit. r/Sino might have something, but it's a pretty toxic sub (pretty much a mouthpiece for the CCP). If you can't read Chinese, who knows what they may be saying.
Oct 17, 2008
459 posts
118 upvotes
Toronto
greg123 wrote: If we can somehow get this through all the parents trying to arrange play dates for the next 3 weeks...
Lol....reminds me of the Asian parents ...purposely arranging play dates for their kids so they can build antibodies faster and not be time bombed with chicken pox....
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
3181 posts
1930 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
eldiablo wrote: R0 for COVID-19 is likely around 2.4+ and not 1 as that model predicates. Just on that fact alone, the whole model fails the simple test of virus growth.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lani ... 4/fulltext
I still don't see what that has to do with an infographic that shows laymen how this spreads. Are you suggesting that social isolation is not the approach to take?
Linking to another article is not that helpful.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
9419 posts
4660 upvotes
Markham
This article from Dr Neil Rau is quite interesting...he's not in agreement with the strategies being implemented in many ways. [The effects of the fear created are worst than the virus itself].

Unfortunately we'll never know if he was right. This may become a repeatable playbook in the future - rightly or possibly wrongly we won't know. What's next....do we tell ppl to stay inside if we get a higher incidence of West Nile or Zika or the next coronavirus? How many cases in any jurisdiction justifies another playbook like this? Perhaps he's correct in saying spend resources protecting those who are the most susceptible only.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/why-dr ... ontainable
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
32110 posts
17962 upvotes
Ottawa
City of Ottawa has requested all restaurants and bars to close all dine in operations starting tomorrow.
Take out and delivery should be available, it possible.