Great Black Wasp nest in my roof

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 12th, 2019 10:21 am
[OP]
Aug 5, 2008
778 posts
230 upvotes

Great Black Wasp nest in my roof

Has anyone else had to de with this? From what I read, great black wasps are not aggressive and rarely sting.

They also normally make nests in the ground, but I seem to have one in my roof (I see them going in and out between the siding and the soffits).

I am pretty sure it's the great black wasp, since they don't have any stripes, but would like to be sure and whack them if it isn't.

The location of the nest has me confused since they normally nest underground. Could it be anything else that looks similar (i.e. wasp-y and solid black).

I live in the GTA.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world... Those who understand binary and those who don't 💡
3 replies
May 13, 2007
111 posts
51 upvotes
Lake of the Woods, N…
I've used a 'shop vac'* style vacuum cleaner with a 20 ft. aluminum tube (hang glider spar) attached in order to reach the peak where the wasps/hornets were entering/exiting. Slurped them up really well. Left it running for a while as more came to 'attack' the intrusion and for 10 minutes afterwards. When I opened the canister they were all laying on the bottom (alive) but unable to fly. 1½" ABS pipe would work too. The smaller the diameter the more suction will be created.

* NOT Shop Vac brand, as they are the crap of the lot in that style.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
11316 posts
5757 upvotes
Toronto
junkmail2002 wrote:
Jul 10th, 2019 3:24 pm
Has anyone else had to de with this? From what I read, great black wasps are not aggressive and rarely sting.

They also normally make nests in the ground, but I seem to have one in my roof (I see them going in and out between the siding and the soffits).

I am pretty sure it's the great black wasp, since they don't have any stripes, but would like to be sure and whack them if it isn't.

The location of the nest has me confused since they normally nest underground. Could it be anything else that looks similar (i.e. wasp-y and solid black).

I live in the GTA.
Yeah man, I've had my fair share of wasp nests. But before I can say anything, you need to be 100% positive that you know exactly what species of wasp you are dealing with. I can promise you that there are quite a few species that nest underground. If you don't think they sting, I would suggest you get a ladder and inspect, take a photo of the hive and a wasp for confirmation.

Do this during dusk when most species are not active.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Jan 21, 2018
640 posts
514 upvotes
Vancouver
Their presence is seasonal, and they're helpful to gardens, not a pest. If they're not aggressive, just leave them alone and remove the nest in the winter.